Best Buy mimicking Apple stores in retail makeover

Comments

• Reply 81 of 139
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

If Apple does release it own HDTV, it might consider buying BestBuy and essentially choke off one of the major distribution channels for competing consumer electronic products, while instantly more than doubling its own distribution capacity. It will only cost them  $7B, and converting them to Apple Stores will be easier if BB is starting to emulate them.

Wow...that does spark the imagination. Imagine Apple going store by store and revamping it into an Apple store bit by bit. Wouldn't that be an ironic turn of events....you walk in and the main floor is all Apple and tucked back in the corner is MS/PC's! :)

Probably not going to happen, but nevertheless one of the most original ideas I've seen on these boards in years!  Good show!:)

• Reply 82 of 139
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpokorny View Post

It actually starts from the moment you walk in the store. At BB they have someone standing at a desk checking receipts as you walk out of the store with their back to the entrance, the same guy says hi to you as you walk in. So immediately you know that security person is watching you.

Contrast this to the Apple store. They have some guy standing facing you, welcoming you to the store. Nobody checks your receipt when you walk out.

I'm not a criminal, I shouldn't be treated like one.

Actually, Apple Stores have security people on site -- they are dressed like customers.  

• Reply 83 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportyguy209 View Post

The sale of retail cd's and dvd's is going to continue to decline and as that happens it will only highlight the cavernous space that Best Buys contain. Best Buy would be better off shrinking their store size and focusing on having everything on display work than adding a huge customer service bar. I mean really, who doesn't buy at Best Buy because they can't get their questions answered?

Why people buy at Best Buy?

Price

Convenience

Availability

If I were Best Buy, I would leverage their online ability as much as possible to be able to compete with Amazon. Just like Circuit City, Best Buy's days are numbered unless they do something drastic to turn things around and a customer service bar is not the answer. Just more clutter and confusion for the customer.

Agreed, BB is an ice cube. Like RIM, Nokia and Sony

• Reply 84 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus View Post

That picture makes Best Buy look more like a Greyhound terminal than an Apple Store.

Very good...I couldn't put my finger on it...I just knew it was god awful! :)

• Reply 85 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Amazon still has one significant advantage, and I believe that's why many people still order from Amazon. They don't pay any tax in most states. In my state, Amazon charges me tax now, they didn't a few years ago, but I believe that most places still do not charge tax for Amazon. I'm not sure about the legality of it, and eventually I believe that everybody will get charged tax, but for now, Amazon has that advantage. 

Not paying any tax is like getting a significant discount on everything you order, especially if the prices are reasonable to begin with.

That is true.

I think that this is going to change rapidly, though.  I suspect within a few years Amazon (and other web retailers) will start charging taxes for any state in which they do business -- that means any state to which they sell/ship something.

• Reply 86 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

That prototype store looks like it's located in Utah, and staffed by elders. 

Brilliant that was my first thought, too...I just couldn't figure out a nice way to say it. :)

As someone said above, lose the ties.

Maybe teal t-shirts? :)

• Reply 87 of 139

Quote:

Haha, that's pure baloney. I'm not homophobic at all. That person was a bigot and also sexist. Are you one of those people who claims that a gay person can not be a bigot? Or that a minority can not be a racist?

You don't understand.  She is a member of a protected class and you are not.  She counts, you don't.  I, too, am a while male and am at least told I am handsome, especially given my age.  I know the type you mean, and they don't belong on a sales floor, regardless their orientation.

• Reply 88 of 139

I just read all the posts from the start and this board sounds so reminiscent of the conversations just before the demise of Circuit City, CompUSA, and Blockbuster.

Like I said above, BB is an ice cube.

• Reply 89 of 139
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

That is true.

I think that this is going to change rapidly, though.  I suspect within a few years Amazon (and other web retailers) will start charging taxes for any state in which they do business -- that means any state to which they sell/ship something.

Then Amazon will be at a slight disadvantage because they also have to charge for shipping where as when you buy locally you just pick up the merchandise yourself. It probably will level the playing field a bit because warehouses are typically less expensive than retail space. I think they should charge the tax but it is complicated because for example in California every single city, county, and zip code charges their own tax rate and when you submit your sales tax it all has to be itemized for each district. Multiply that by all the other states and you have a lot of added accounting to deal with not to mention the added website functionality. There are lots of reasons why Amazon doesn't want to charge sales tax but mainly it just makes them less competitive.

• Reply 90 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpokorny View Post

It actually starts from the moment you walk in the store. At BB they have someone standing at a desk checking receipts as you walk out of the store with their back to the entrance, the same guy says hi to you as you walk in. So immediately you know that security person is watching you.

Contrast this to the Apple store. They have some guy standing facing you, welcoming you to the store. Nobody checks your receipt when you walk out.

I'm not a criminal, I shouldn't be treated like one.

Beast Buys are often located in some pretty dodgy parts of town, or they get a lot of bus and light-rail customers.  Take that to mean whatever you want.  Apple stores are generally in good areas, in well-kept malls with good security.

• Reply 91 of 139
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus View Post

That picture makes Best Buy look more like a Greyhound terminal than an Apple Store.

Ok this made me LOL.  Fantastic post.

• Reply 92 of 139
    powermachpowermach Posts: 90member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ya' know... you reminded me of when we owned computer stores in Silicon Valley (1978-89). 

Just an FYI to everyone: Pay attention when this man posts. Computer Plus of Sunnydale was THE place.

Thank you, Dick, for being there in the early days and for everything you've done for the Macintosh community.

• Reply 92 of 139
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/151107/best-buy-mimicking-apple-stores-in-retail-makeover/40#post_2141011"]
    Amazon still has one significant advantage, and I believe that's why many people still order from Amazon. They don't pay any tax in most states. In my state, Amazon charges me tax now, they didn't a few years ago, but I believe that most places still do not charge tax for Amazon. I'm not sure about the legality of it, and eventually I believe that everybody will get charged tax, but for now, Amazon has that advantage. 

Not paying any tax is like getting a significant discount on everything you order, especially if the prices are reasonable to begin with.

Yes - and it's good that we don't forget that.

Fortunately, there is finally a serious effort to require internet retailers to pay sales tax. For the sake of local retailers, I hope it happens soon.
  • Reply 94 of 139
    cm1ecm1e Posts: 6member

Quote:

No, I believe that I was being discriminated against. Just because I'm a white, good looking male, I am entitled to the same rights as any other group.

If I was an ugly chick, I don't believe that the sales person would have had the same attitude. And that's discrimination. 

Well your story telling skills made you look like an ass. You could have explained in the first post that you felt her attitude was poor based on a book cover judgement, rather than calling the person an obese lesbian.

I do, though, understand where you're coming from about being given a different attitude/effort based on how you look.

• Reply 95 of 139
    cm1ecm1e Posts: 6member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Yes, iTunes music store has replaced any reason to shop there for music, and Amazon, despite the lack of "right now" satisfaction does a pretty good job at getting things at a competitive price to your doorstep, and you know whether it's in stock when you click Purchase. I haven't set foot in Best Buy in years.

Of course, Apple Stores are still terrific places to go, but I only go when I have a question or want to buy something.

iTunes is a terrible replacement to purchasing CDs, seeing as the music they sell runs at 256kbps.

Gross.

• Reply 96 of 139
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    pooch wrote: »
    i'll shop at best buy, but it'll be an especially cold day in pinckney, mi, before best buy ever sees a penny of mine.
    How exactly do you shop at Best Buy without spending money?
  • Reply 97 of 139
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    cm1e wrote: »
    Well your story telling skills made you look like an ass. You could have explained in the first post that you felt her attitude was poor based on a book cover judgement, rather than calling the person an obese lesbian.

I do, though, understand where you're coming from about being given a different attitude/effort based on how you look.

As does the "ugly chick" that Apple II has been insulting.
  • Reply 98 of 139
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That is a whole 'nother topic. Eventually they are going to make you pay the tax. Amazon is fighting it but they will eventually have to comply, even if it is just for California. The deal they currently have ends September 2012.

As a business we have to declare the purchases and pay the sales tax even though Amazon doesn't charge any.

I wasn't aware of the whole sales tax issue. After a little research, apparently Amazon is building two warehouses here in California, so they will have to start charging sales tax. I guess it's part of the agreement with California to withhold charging sales tax until the end of this year. Under the deal, Amazon said they would build 2 fulfillment centers here, which are under construction now. I guess I'll be shopping elsewhere. The sales tax rates here in California are high. 

• Reply 99 of 139
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

I tried to purchase an iMac from BB several years back, at the height of the holiday retail season.  It happened to be an open-box return, which meant a nice discount.  But:

It took ten minutes to find someone who could get the item from a high shelf.  To purchase, I had to carry it myself to their Geek Center, where I was taken down a long garden path, including pressure to purchase an extended warranty (NOT AppleCare).  Total in-store purchase time: 35 minutes, and above-average irritation.

When I got the iMac home, I discovered they had not even bothered to wipe the drive. Since this was supposed to be a gift, I took it back (another 20 minutes in-store).

Then I did what I should have done anyway... straight to the Apple Store.  In and out, with a brand-new iMac in hand, in five minutes flat.

THIS is why I have forsaken major purchases at BB.

• Reply 100 of 139

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Then Amazon will be at a slight disadvantage because they also have to charge for shipping where as when you buy locally you just pick up the merchandise yourself. It probably will level the playing field a bit because warehouses are typically less expensive than retail space. I think they should charge the tax but it is complicated because for example in California every single city, county, and zip code charges their own tax rate and when you submit your sales tax it all has to be itemized for each district. Multiply that by all the other states and you have a lot of added accounting to deal with not to mention the added website functionality. There are lots of reasons why Amazon doesn't want to charge sales tax but mainly it just makes them less competitive.

What you say is true -- it is complicated.  But online stores like Apple do it.

I do woodworking as a hobby, and own a ShopSmith.  They have an online store and charge taxes for every state, although they are based in Ohio.

Shopsmith is a small company, SSMH (OTC) with a rudimentary web site and shopping cart -- yet they are able to deal with the complexity...  So, I assume that AMZN can handle it.

Finally, (I think this is still true) Nevada is a freeport which means that they do not charge any quarterly taxes on inventory warehoused in the state.  So companies with large inventories could benefit from warehousing in Nevada and direct or drop ship from there.