Microsoft announces Windows 8 will launch in October

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    mavfan1mavfan1 Posts: 50member

Are you folks serious?     

The same people that would recommend that Windows users switch to the Mac ( no Start menu) because it's so much easier/intuitive are making such a big deal that Windows users won't be able to adapt to a few small changes in the Windows 8 interface, and yes, they are small once you've used them a couple of times.

I'm trying out Win8 on my retina MBP (so potential windows fanboy comments are just wrong) and I'm having no trouble at all.  Even with the cheaper upgrade cost most upgraders will be tech heads, who should be able to figure this stuff out anyway.   Many new Win8 sales will be with new tablets and computers with touch screens, where Win8 really does look good.     I love the live tiles, it's one thing I wish iOS would steal from Windows phones. 

• Reply 22 of 54
    kellya74ukellya74u Posts: 171member

deleted

• Reply 23 of 54
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So now Apple knows when to ramp up Mac production. Thanks, Microsoft!

People are going to hate Windows 8. You can't take the Start Menu away from the average Windows user. They'll go insane. And they won't know how to turn their computer off anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Ctrl-alt-del will do it too though.

As long as they have CTRL, ALT, and DEL tiles everything should be good...

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

It will be the start of the next generation of 'I'm a Mac, I'm a PC' ads

I miss those ads...

• Reply 24 of 54
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member

As usual, you're speaking in broad strokes when you're not qualified to do so.

I love Windows 8.  And this fall when my cell contract is up, I'm giving Windows Phone a try.

Blind loyalty to any platform is just as misguided as deity worship. Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So now Apple knows when to ramp up Mac production. Thanks, Microsoft!

People are going to hate Windows 8. You can't take the Start Menu away from the average Windows user. They'll go insane. And they won't know how to turn their computer off anymore.

• Reply 25 of 54
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

I thought the Windows 8 interface looked familiar…. Mac OS 9 had a program in the early 90's called, "At Ease," that created large folders you could put on your desktop to launch via one-click, & not confuse you with the other stuff. It wasn't touch screen though, so MS probably invented that.

You know what? You've just brought back a series of old memories from when I was like 6 years old, in a world where we had one Windows 98 computer and one Mac (beige box, multi-coloured logo) computer per classroom. Although the 98 computer had virtually the same program.

• Reply 26 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    [quote name="rtm135" url="/t/151178/microsoft-announces-windows-8-will-launch-in-october#post_2143338"]As usual, you're speaking in broad strokes when you're not qualified to do so.[/QUOTE]

Of course not. I certainly don't work with novice computer users or anything. You know, the kind of people who wig out when their icons or menu locations change due to an update.

Standard Microsoft users, is what I mean.

[QUOTE]I love Windows 8.  And this fall when my cell contract is up, I'm giving Windows Phone a try.[/QUOTE]

I've respect for Windows Phone myself. And to each his own about OS'.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,089member
    It is very annoying to use isn't it? A friend of mine running the beta got stuck in an app or what ever those tiles lead to and couldn't find a way out (I know you hover mouse at far right but he didn't) and he got so angry trying to get back the desktop that he slammed the PC's lid down hard, the PC laptop fell off his desk onto the tiles and smashed it. I only know about this as he called and asked me which MacBook was best the next day on his way to buy one.

Come on...is that really true? I find it hard to believe

If so, I am LMAO
  • Reply 28 of 54
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,089member
    I believe there is a 50% chance Microsoft fuc** this up

If so, I think there is a 50% chance this is THE catalyst that gets OSX to 20% share in the next 3 years

That's right folks, 25% chance my scenario plays out
  • Reply 29 of 54
    mac.worldmac.world Posts: 340member
    It is very annoying to use isn't it? A friend of mine running the beta got stuck in an app or what ever those tiles lead to and couldn't find a way out (I know you hover mouse at far right but he didn't) and he got so angry trying to get back the desktop that he slammed the PC's lid down hard, the PC laptop fell off his desk onto the tiles and smashed it. I only know about this as he called and asked me which MacBook was best the next day on his way to buy one.

Yep, I downloaded and played with the consumer edition of Windows 8 on my PC and it takes a while to figure it out. It will frustrate the hell out of millions of people to the point they will smash in their computer screens.
    In typical Microsoft fashion, Windows 8 is not elegant, nor simple to use. Luckily, you'll be able to revert back to Windows 7.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Luckily, you'll be able to revert back to Windows 7.

Or if it really traumatises you, Windows XP.

free-msn-winks.jpg

• Reply 31 of 54
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member

Quote:

Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

In the beginning, there was a Registry fix to get the Start Menu back. MS killed it. The Start Menu is Metro only. It is also true, shutting down a PC will be more difficult. I am low vision, and that is the ONLY reason I have a PC now. My iMac is sadly gathering dust. The W8 desktop is more efficient and faster than W7, but that is all. The Facebook and Twitter users MAY like Metro, but I am guessing Enterprise folks will hate it. I can see my very low-res PC with Windows 7. I need a 27 inch iMac, running at either 1080 or 720 vertical resolution. Without bending the NDA rules, what are my chances in ML? Is HiDPI only for retina displays?

If I understand your problem correctly, the iMac 27" running 'Lion' has 13 screen resolutions: from 800x600 to 2560x1440. Both 1920x1080 and 1280x720 are supported, although there is some edge fuzziness. On a iMac 21" running 'Snow Leopard', one has about seven choices including 1280x720. At the moment,I see no reason why ML would offer less.

Cheers

• Reply 32 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    red oak wrote: »
    Come on...is that really true? I find it hard to believe
    If so, I am LMAO

Yep true and I even had the nerve to make a joke about the tiles ....
  • Reply 33 of 54

Tried the dev preview, the consumer preview, and then the release preview.

All of them fresh local installs.

They were awful, buggy (even RP), and things like menus were incredibly inconsistent. Oh, and metro on anything other than a 7-10" tablet is nothing but an awful idea. They don't even give the consumers a choice.

It honestly looks like shit on my 24" monitor.

• Reply 34 of 54
    mac.world wrote: »
    Yep, I downloaded and played with the consumer edition of Windows 8 on my PC and it takes a while to figure it out. It will frustrate the hell out of millions of people to the point they will smash in their computer screens.
    In typical Microsoft fashion, Windows 8 is not elegant, nor simple to use. Luckily, you'll be able to revert back to Windows 7.

What if it's a new PC with 8 installed? ... I doubt if you can revert to 7 then. Although I bet after a while MS will be offering a free down grade copy of 7 .... But they have a lot of experience with that sort of thing ...
  • Reply 35 of 54
    Tried the dev preview, the consumer preview, and then the release preview.

All of them fresh local installs.

They were awful, buggy (even RP), and things like menus were incredibly inconsistent. Oh, and metro on anything other than a 7-10" tablet is nothing but an awful idea. They don't even give the consumers a choice.

It honestly looks like shit on my 24" monitor.

So what are saying is Apple have Retina Display and Microsoft have Rectal Display.
  • Reply 36 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So what are saying is Apple have Retina Display and Microsoft have Rectal Display.

Metro on anything above 10" is definitely Rectal Display status.

• Reply 37 of 54
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    What if it's a new PC with 8 installed? ... I doubt if you can revert to 7 then. Although I bet after a while MS will be offering a free down grade copy of 7 .... But they have a lot of experience with that sort of thing ...

I recall they've done that before, at least in some circumstances. I have a notebook computer that has a Windows XP and 2000 license. I recall you could get XP downgrade for a computer with Vista installed. If 8 causes problems, then I can see 7 being offered as a fall back. I don't know what route they would take if there is significant push back on the start button/screen. Two options I can think is offer a download to get the old start UI or a downgrade.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    swiftswift Posts: 436member

Oh, I think it's going to be a very bad launch. The Pro pad won't sell. The Windows RT pad will, but people will be mystified. And nobody will get the desktop OS. Windows 7: good. Windows 8: not good. Windows 9, apparently, will be all right.

Seriously, there's a lot of good work here, but there are too many options here. This AND that. A tablet-y desktop? Probably won't score with Windows people. The ability to run Windows apps on a tablet, they will find, is not desirable. They've already introduced that, 10 years ago. It requires a stylus, because trying to click to close the window with a finger will be a disaster. Windows RT will probably be a winner. 

What will this do with Windows? Probably not much that's good. 

• Reply 39 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

As usual, you're speaking in broad strokes when you're not qualified to do so.

I love Windows 8.  And this fall when my cell contract is up, I'm giving Windows Phone a try.

Blind loyalty to any platform is just as misguided as deity worship. Quote:

You will not be missed, good luck! We just get on with our lifes knowing it just get's better and better - if ain't broke............

• Reply 40 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Or if it really traumatises you, Windows XP.

free-msn-winks.jpg

so true! we all know they really want DOS :))))