OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion Golden Master seeded to developers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    thx607thx607 Posts: 14member
    Downloading right now !
    edit--
    even-though I am a little pissed PowerNap will not work with my new MBP 15.....

Is it confirmed that PowerNap does not work with 3rd party ssd drives in older macbooks.
  • Reply 22 of 47

Cant wait :/

• Reply 23 of 47
    thx607 wrote: »
    Is it confirmed that PowerNap does not work with 3rd party ssd drives in older macbooks.

I do not know for sure, I do however have a Samsung 830 on order; and I guess I'll find out when I drop it in :)
  • Reply 24 of 47
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

While I do love the way Lion works & the features, it is the most unstable version I've used since I came back to Mac with Leopard.

(Started with the 512K "Fat Mac" back in the day and used Macs at work, but had to go Windows for 5 or 6 years for a laptop to run some programs that wouldn't even run in Bootcamp... but back now!!!! for 5 years! Yay!)

Sooooo many Force Quitting of Apps. So many times a Restart would just give me a white screen and I'd have to hold the Power Button in to get it to restart.

So much worse use of memory, although yes, I do keep about 3 or 4 desktops open, but it should still work better with my 4GB memory than it does. Yes, I know I need more memory. My mid-2007 iMac can support 6 GB, which I will get soon. But Snow Leopard had no problem at all with my 4 GB.

So, yes, totally agree! Make it run like Snow Leopard!!!

I'm pretty sure those things you mentioned are not the fault of the OS, since in my experience it is the MOST stable version of OSX I've ever used. You probably have some things broken under the hood, I would recommend a fresh install of Mountain Lion. 

• Reply 25 of 47
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Put a fork in it, it's done. A source code fork that is.

• Reply 26 of 47
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

had to go Windows for 5 or 6 years for a laptop to run some programs that wouldn't even run in Bootcamp...

but back now!!!! for 5 years! Yay

Sooooo many Force Quitting of Apps. So many times a Restart would just give me a white screen and I'd have to hold the Power Button in to get it to restart.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'm pretty sure those things you mentioned are not the fault of the OS, since in my experience it is the MOST stable version of OSX I've ever used. You probably have some things broken under the hood

How can a correctly installed Windows application not work whilst the Apple Mac is booted into Windows?

I understand Bootcamp to be little more than a helper application to make a separate partition for Windows, to aid booting into Windows and to provide the necessary keyboard, display etc drivers for your Apple machine in Windows.

So either that application which wouldn't work with Windows on your Apple in Bootcamp conflicted with the Windows drivers,

or it wasn't compatible with the version of Windows you had installed.

• Reply 27 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Good question.

http://www.apple.com/osx/specs/

Does any one know whether the touted dictation feature means Apple will have to design the Minis with an external mic that can pick up your voice? I've used a mini server at home for ages so I can have a matte screen, but I was just wondering are they allowed to tout it as a feature then tell you to go out and buy a USB mic? I suppose it's the same as saying you can run a second screen via an adapter, but I would just like an opinion. It's one thing that would make the mini server perfect for me, as I use Rosetta Stone to study and it's a bit of a pain compared to my iMac days, it's just not as accurate with a USB mic.

• Reply 28 of 47
    retinaretina Posts: 8member
    I've been running Mountain Lion since DP4 exclusively with very few issues. The only thing I could find was that sleep mode didn't like one of my apps and actually crashed my new MBP 10,1. However, I have yet to re-install everything from scratch, which is the best thing to upgrade to a major new OS release. There is lots of new eye candy, too! :D Hey, maybe a new Mac mini will be released alongside Mountain Lion, as was the case last year when Lion was released.

(P.S.: I'm glad the Retina display on the iMac rumors are back! Woohoo!)
  • Reply 29 of 47
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thx607 View Post

Originally Posted by Market_Player View Post

I do not know for sure, I do however have a Samsung 830 on order; and I guess I'll find out when I drop it in image

Please let us know whether PowerNap works for you or not Market_Player.

Apple's reference to built in flash storage is vague at best.

It will be disappointing if PowerNap doesn't work with a 3rd party SSD installed.

Nevertheless, the dictation and notification centre are good enough reason for me to upgrade.

It's a fantastic upgrade price too.

• Reply 30 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    gregoriusm wrote: »
    While I do love the way Lion works & the features, it is the most unstable version I've used since I came back to Mac with Leopard.
    (Started with the 512K "Fat Mac" back in the day and used Macs at work, but had to go Windows for 5 or 6 years for a laptop to run some programs that wouldn't even run in Bootcamp... but back now!!!! for 5 years! Yay!)
    So much worse use of memory, although yes, I do keep about 3 or 4 desktops open, but it should still work better with my 4GB memory than it does. Yes, I know I need more memory. My mid-2007 iMac can support 6 GB, which I will get soon. But Snow Leopard had no problem at all with my 4 GB.
    So, yes, totally agree! Make it run like Snow Leopard!!!

A rare negative post (meant to be helpful)... As most regulars know I am a die hard Apple Fan but I really hope ML is back to SL speeds, then I wonder if it ever can be

... I was thinking about why Lion's slower than SL, which is real for sure. I wonder if this is more to do with the almost ludicrous number of things Lion does over the internet SL didn't than anything else. Even with a pretty new i7 with 8 GIGs of RAM and 25/25 MBs over FiOS I have to switch off many things to be able to work on a daily basis without screaming. Aperture is a dog if such things as Faces and Places are on and so on. Not that this is Lion specific but I had to set my Time Capsule manually too (as in off other than once a day) as it stops by MBP i7 in its tracks when it starts every hour. I even tried an ethernet connection all the time to speed the hourly back up but of course then I am off the local wifi which has other serious repercussions. While I am on about TM how many newbies understand to exclude stuff. VMware or Parallel's data files are a total nightmare if included as are many other things. ' It just works' either needs more AI applied or at least application side questioning ... such as 'Would you like to exclude your Virtual Machine (recommended)?" type set up questions.

So many small things add up and the solution is not obvious other than choosing less connectivity where we can. I pity a novice user who starts up for the first time and has Spotlight and Time Machine both chugging away and doesn't understand why the Mac is crawling. I'd suggest a dialog that asks if you want to proceed with these things now or later ... and explain it will slow everything down for a while ... .

It's like the now fixed 'start up all open applications and documents by default after a crash' thing that Apple finally reversed the logic on in a recent update (TG!). That was a vicious circle waiting to happen unless a user knew to hold down shift for a fix at restart or option for an alt boot drive. How many switchers know this stuff? There seems to be a lack of thinking things through from the end user POV at Apple these days where OS X is concerned.

As I say I hope ML will address many of these things ....
  • Reply 31 of 47
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Does any one know whether the touted dictation feature means Apple will have to design the Minis with an external mic that can pick up your voice? I've used a mini server at home for ages so I can have a matte screen, but I was just wondering are they allowed to tout it as a feature then tell you to go out and buy a USB mic? I suppose it's the same as saying you can run a second screen via an adapter, but I would just like an opinion. It's one thing that would make the mini server perfect for me, as I use Rosetta Stone to study and it's a bit of a pain compared to my iMac days, it's just not as accurate with a USB mic.

They clearly state it requires a microphone. I can't see someone successfully suing Apple because their Mac mini or Mac Pro doesn't have a mic.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure those things you mentioned are not the fault of the OS, since in my experience it is the MOST stable version of OSX I've ever used. You probably have some things broken under the hood, I would recommend a fresh install of Mountain Lion. 

Ditto.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member

Quote:

They clearly state it requires a microphone. I can't see someone successfully suing Apple because their Mac mini or Mac Pro doesn't have a mic.

Especially when their page on the feature clearly says that it requires either an internal or external mic

• Reply 34 of 47
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    fitzgerald wrote: »
    Does anyone know the system requirements for Mountain Lion? Besides needing the Core 2 Duo Processor...

Good catch! They should be referencing the GM 10.8 build 12A269.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Yeah... I'm gonna sue too because my mac mini doesn't do FaceTime without adding an external camera.  ;-)

• Reply 36 of 47
    habihabi Posts: 317member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Why would faults from upgradeing not be considered bugs or somehow tolerable. Its one of the most important reasons why I use apple products. Easy ass hell to kick your shit to the new box you bought.

(No this sounds like a joke but its not intended as such)

How can you install mountain lion from a fresh install?  First you install snow leopard, then you install all the upgrades to snow leopard so you have access to the mac app store. Then you install lion and all its updates. Piece of cake I do it every day, _not_. If I wanted to do that I would have sticked with windows.

I for one have had many distruptions and bugs by eg updates. the hdtv mac turns mustically to hidpi resolution to 960 x 650 which is NOT nice on a hdtv. And if I sometimes vnc into the box the controlls sometime leave in this resolution (mouseresolution is lower than screen so you can not control the full screen). Bluetooth mystically dies and nothing helps except booting the machine. Mac says its connected and you cant unpair it or nothing. Just a few examples but it really is the worst os x iteration upto this date. Mountain lion seems to do nothing to resolve those problems but instead they introduce IOS functionality on a laptop thats not very intresting at all!

• Reply 37 of 47
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 514member
    While I do love the way Lion works

I've done that. I've also kept the Combined Updater and used that a few times which seems to help for a while. But, I am not the only one who thinks Lion is the most unstable in a long time. It might not be the majority, but there are quite a few who have noticed a difference going to Lion from Snow Leopard.

I'm glad that you are having the opposite experience. Probably most are, although I have read many an account of people thinking Snow Leopard was the best of the bunch.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    chia wrote: »
    but back now!!!! for 5 years! Yay

I'm pretty sure those things you mentioned are not the fault of the OS, since in my experience it is the MOST stable version of OSX I've ever used. You probably have some things broken under the hood

How can a correctly installed Windows application not work whilst the Apple Mac is booted into Windows?
    I understand Bootcamp to be little more than a helper application to make a separate partition for Windows, to aid booting into Windows and to provide the necessary keyboard, display etc drivers for your Apple machine in Windows.

So either that application which wouldn't work with Windows on your Apple in Bootcamp conflicted with the Windows drivers,
    or it wasn't compatible with the version of Windows you had installed.

I don't know the problem. The two programs worked fine on the Windows Laptop and they were essential to my work. Spent enough time trying. Went to Mac when I no longer needed those apps.

Fairly simple explanation.
  • Reply 39 of 47

Not that this is Lion specific but I had to set my Time Capsule manually too (as in off other than once a day) as it stops by MBP i7 in its tracks when it starts every hour.

Same here only my Time Machine backup drive is directly connected. I get the beach ball whenever Time Machine starts up and I did not get that with Snow Leopard.

Snow Leopard = carry on with work while Time Machines ramps up the external drive and does its business

Immediately after installing Lion (and continues to this day) = Beach ball while external drive is ramping up and until Time Machine is 3 or 4 seconds into backing up.

So, no, to others who may think it is me only, I don't believe it is just my setup. Others have had numerous problems that they didn't have with Snow Leopard, and I believe Snow Leopard is generally thought of as the most stable and efficient OS to date.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    habihabi Posts: 317member

Then there are the hairsplitting problems you get from software that supposedly doesnt support your OS because nothing really changed but the version number but it doesnt start or crashes.

And then its time to wait for patches to apps that used to work without problems. Printer drivers, virtual machine software, file-system tools (Paragon) etc, etc....

Im not upgrading if there is  no real incentive...will have to wait to hear about the stability issues if they are resolved...