Inside OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion GM: Safari 6 adds iPad-style iCloud-shared tabs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Excited about this- the tabs being open are really great, as is the security feature for guys like my dad who is in his 60s to double check for phishing.  I kind of like the google search being separate, but I'm sure I'll get used to it being all in 1 tab very quickly.  Just like natural scrolling- I might hate it at first, but then I wouldn't go back if I could (which I could).  I always say give the new stuff a fair chance before you complain about it.

Also love the notifications- those will be great- it might be an e-mail I don't care about on the right and so I don't click my mail and have to open it just because a red "1" popped up.  Keep up the good work Apple.

• Reply 22 of 35
    Why does AI keep saying the Preferences icon for Notifications in Safari and System Preferences is going to change? It sure doesn't have to. The menu icon for Notification Center changed, but while it was closer to the current Notifications preferences icons it definitely wasn't the same. I don't think many people realized it was supposed to be (if it was supposed to be); I know I didn't.

I think the Preferences icons are just fine, invoking the circular number badges that appear on apps when you get a notification. That makes sense to me and I think people will understand that. I don't think I like the new "list" menu icon for NC as it's much more difficult to realize what it is and you can't tell when you have new notifications (though it is more dissimilar to Spotlight so in that way it's a tad less confusing). Changing the badge-ish icon to that wouldn't be a good idea. It may bring a little bit more consistency but people just browsing through Preferences wouldn't have that same subconscious association.

Also, this being the GM they won't change anything before release unless they [I]absolutely have to.[/I] Anyone who has done software development before should know that. Whether they change that in 10.8.1 or something is a different matter, but it won't change before release.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Tab View is absolutely wretched. It's horrendous. I can't believe Apple let this out the door.

First of all, it should be a grid. Like iPhone OS 3.2 on the iPad. A GRID of your tab images. They even KNOW THAT, because Top Sites is a grid! How hard could it possibly have been to do that again?!

Second, the button for Tab View DISAPPEARS when you only have one tab, which moves the hit box for the "new tab" button. There are a couple of things wrong with this point alone.

First is that nothing should ever move an existing hit box. Nothing. These two buttons are behaving like Windows Preference window tabs. You know, where you can click forever and it switches in between the two because everything moves itself. It goes against every fundamental rule of UI design.

Second is that there shouldn't be a "new tab" button there at all, but it HAS to be because instead of whitespace in the Tab Bar, Apple has decided to make tabs take up the entire bar, so one tab is the whole bar, two means one half each, three is (etc.)…

Safari 6.1 needs to sort that out in a VERY short time…
    robogobo wrote: »
    Um, how do you do the exposé tab thing on the iPad?  Not sure what they're talking about here.

I don't believe Tab View exists on the iPad.

Unless you have iPhone OS 3.2, that is.
  • Reply 24 of 35

I suppose adding tabbed browsers to the iClouds is just part of the process of making "everything available everywhere". It never seemed like a burning need for me -- but I suppose once we don't have to think about it, that's when it achieves it's greatest utility.

But since they don't have support for "users" on the iPad -- it also seems like it could be a bit of a nuisance. For instance; do the tabs you JUST opened on the iPad populate the laptop, or does the laptop get priority because it's more of the "work machine" and the tabs on the iPad are just pop-ups from your kids game? If you have more than one user on the laptop/desktop -- whose tabs do you want to sync? Because I could imagine that SOMETIMES I want mine, but my wife might say; "I want you to look at a few things."

I'm sure it will be sorted out, eventually. But I predict that it will not be a "selling point" or game changer for anyone. And sometimes I wonder about how much we Mac Users agonize over these tiny feature creeps and minutiae.

• Reply 25 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Second, the button for Tab View DISAPPEARS when you only have one tab, which moves the hit box for the "new tab" button. There are a couple of things wrong with this point alone.

First is that nothing should ever move an existing hit box. Nothing. These two buttons are behaving like Windows Preference window tabs. You know, where you can click forever and it switches in between the two because everything moves itself. ...

You can set a preference in Safari to "always use tabbed view" -- so then you don't have to be shocked by the new location of some button because a tab may or may not be there.

Of course if this were the default - there would be screams and gnashing of teeth because Apple unilaterally decided to waste vertical space with an unnecessary tab.

I'm just glad I was here to help and I got to you in time... ;)

>> Oh, and I suppose Grid would be nice -- but I never use it. And tabs take up less space. Also, there is probably some "GUI OpenGL" magic going on with the glorious Grid view that has yet to have direct support on iOS. I've been hoping Apple would migrate more of their graphics API to iOS so that Keynote and certain animations I might program could play identically on that platform. I'm sure someone is working on it -- but maybe the reason we just have tabs and no grids has something to do with the tech not being there. Just a thought.

• Reply 26 of 35
    Do we know if Safari 6 will run on Snow Leopard, and will the iCloud Tabs feature run on it? Chrome already has this on desktop and iOS versions, with tabs open on other devices, and is a useful feature. I hope it's not limited to mountain lion.
  • Reply 27 of 35

What is the Expose-like tab view for Safari on an iPad? I just get tabs along the top on my iPad3 . . . I don't get an Expose-like view. Help!

• Reply 28 of 35
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    What I would like to see is the same behaviour that the bookmark bar appears when one clicks in the address bar.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    You can set a preference in Safari to "always use tabbed view" — so then you don't have to be shocked by the new location of some button because a tab may or may not be there.

No, no, Tab View is this:

Not the Tab Bar itself.
    but I never use it.

So the temporary presence of this button

will put you off, then, as you don't use it, but may use tabs.
    maybe the reason we just have tabs and no grids has something to do with the tech not being there. Just a thought.

I guess… but what stops them from just doing the same thing they did with Top Sites? That's a bad solution (we want straight on viewing for tabs), but it shows it's possible.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,247member

Quote:

Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

Um, how do you do the exposé tab thing on the iPad?  Not sure what they're talking about here.

Quote:

Safari 6 introduces a new Exposé-like tab view similar to that already available on iPad.

Yup, this is definitely NOT a feature of Safari under iOS 5, so the author must be confused.

• Reply 31 of 35
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I wish there was a way to tell Safari to never ask me if I want to save passwords. Just set it to never remember every single site I visit and don't bug me again.

I never get asked about saving passwords - maybe because I have autofill turned off?  (Safari 5.0.5).

• Reply 32 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by macadam212 View Post

I like Safari - not many other people seem too. The new changes look good!

I'm totally with you except for the RSS loss. I can't stand Firefox, because I use RSS feeds a lot to check the news. Firefox doesn't support them like Safari. I guess I have to start shopping for an RSS reader, what a bummer. I have had the best browsing experience via Safari for the Mac. I have tried many different browsers on both the Mac and Windows. Firefox, Opera, Windows Internet Explorer, Camino, Chrome, Netscape, Mozilla; but I keep returning to Safari, I just like the way it works and looks.

• Reply 33 of 35
    sipsip Posts: 210member

Quote:

Originally Posted by moofpup View Post

Any body figure out how to change the default fonts yet?

I have the same problem-- my default for the entire life of Safari has been Lucida Grande and Monaco. I think that we're going to have to use Style Sheets for this. PITA!

• Reply 34 of 35
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Yup, this is definitely NOT a feature of Safari under iOS 5, so the author must be confused.

Maybe it's an iOS6 thing.