Microsoft says Apple's 'post-PC' view is wrong, claims it's a 'PC+' era

Comments

• Reply 81 of 213
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    focher wrote: »
    You fail to realize that the world has changed. People don't look to their corporate IT anymore for technology. They already buy better technology for themselves. The consumerisation of IT has been in full swing for some years now. Microsoft is increasingly irrelevant as a purchasing decision in the consumer space, and corporate IT will adapt. Just will take them awhile. Why do you think you still see Blackberries? You won't in 3 years. MS will get more time, but in 10 years the landscape doesn't look to favor them.

That might be true in your neck of the woods, but corporate IT departments still have a ton of control in many companies. In some companies, they have almost unlimited control over purchasing decisions.
    in the Oriface announcement preso they called thr ARM/RT version a tablet... But called the Intel version a PC... Consistently!

I can see how that makes sense from the perspective of their market positioning. Keep in mind:

1. Their Intel version is meant to compete against the MBA while their ARM version competes against the iPad (that is, if they ever really make it to market).

2. MS would clearly like for iPads to not be considered PCs.

Combine those two facts and calling the Intel tablet a PC and the ARM tablet a tablet makes a lot of sense.
  • Reply 82 of 213
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Microsoft vision of PC+ is so wrong at multiple level...

Apps on mobile device need to be redesign and simplify to make good use of their touch input and screen size. Microsoft has try before to put Windows UI (WinCE) on a phone or PDA and failed. Now they try the absolute opposites bring back their Metro UI to desktop OS and force to merge Mobile and Desktop into a unified UI

I wonder how even the Pro (x86) version of Surface can be a PC+ experience, Office and much of traditional Windows apps are barely usable on Sub 13inch screen, even worst on 16:9 ratio display with all the ugly inchthicktitlebar/menuinallwindows/newrubanthing/toolbar/malwaresearchbar UI. How this UI fiesta can be usable on a tiny 10 inch tablet is beyond me.

MetroUI on desktop is not a better idea. I've tried Windows8 preview on a 27inch screen, among all that mouse-emulating-touch-input-non-sense UI the drag-from-top-to-down-quitting-gesture is the biggest atrocity. You can't unified big display keyboard & mouse PC and mobile touchscreen into one UI.

Surface and Windows 8 looks more like myfirstsony PC or a secondary PC than a credible Pro desktop PC replacement. If this is the Microsoft vision of the PC evolution, sound more like a PC Minus to me. 

• Reply 83 of 213
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

Yeah, their philosophy has work well for them in the past. ;-)  

The personal computer idea is fading quickly.  The tablet technically is a computational device like the desktop and laptop but adaptable to the person and not the person to the device. Typing isn't a natural thing.  We have to learn to type.  Using gestures and speaking to your device is natural.  Sure, Windows 8 Surface device can do both and so can iPads with wireless keyboards.  The idea is that tablets are transitional to not needing a keyboard at all, hence Siri.  When I'm driving I cannot type or use gestures so speaking is the most natural.  Whether that's to my iPhone or the built-in system in the vehicle it doesn't matter.  

Microsoft is just trying to make Windows relevant which no one can blame them for.  That is their downfall though.  Is the computer in the car a personal computer?  How about the microchip in my microwave, refrigerator, toys, printer, television, etc?  Those all must be personal computers.  Especially with a television as I can now do many of the things only a PC could do just a few years ago.  I can browse the web, use apps, and watch TV all without external devices.  It isn't just a screen with a receiver anymore.

Apple has gotten it right.  Microsoft is the dinosaur.  They should have just agreed with Apple and moved on.  They look foolish branding PC+.  Nice!

• Reply 84 of 213
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

And if Apple made it have backwards compatibility with old file types... that is the real problem i think....

and MS office is so entrenched.... imagine if RIM had phones with 10 year contracts..... and no way to terminate early....

aside from that it would be great!!! (aka once if took 5-10+ years to grow)

Files types. Backwards-compatibility. Open source, or at least open formats, or we're so screwed.

• Reply 85 of 213
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    freediverx wrote: »
    Not so sure about that. The vast majority of people use productivity software in the office and the vast majority of offices using MS Office.

Apple's iWork suite, even if it attained feature parity with MS Office, has a drastically different user interface. Most would argue that it's better, but for the masses that use MS Office every day, it's difficult or impossible to justify the learning curve for a product suite that's not compatible with the document formats they use at work. Yes, I realize there's some level of compatibility. But anyone doing extensive editing on one platform will wind up needing to do a lot of cleanup work when exporting and importing to the other. Believe me, I've tried.

Incidentally nothing would make me happier than to see Microsoft follow RIM down the toilet bowl. They both deserve it. My sympathies are limited to any talented employees that get dragged down by the ineptitude of the companies' executives.

MS Office is not even compatible with itself and not long ago a document with more than a few pages would get instable after a while.
    And belief me I tried to use it, because it was required.
    Good riddance I would say.

J.
  • Reply 86 of 213
    Ugh! Watch the clumsy intro to the Surface....I say again, Ugh! :) MS is stuck in the 90's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jozTK-MqEXQ
    Ha, I started watching that video and got as far as the "awesome" hardware Microsoft makes. They are praising their mice and keyboards. They are praising their XBox which has had massive failures on all models. And now they want us to believe their tablets are going to be awesome?

He he. Poor deluded fools.
  • Reply 87 of 213
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    Come on Microsoft, just face reality : on a tablet, you can forget about the file system, which is transparent to the user. No more multiwindow environment (hard to admit, when your flagship product is called "Windows" ...). keyboard is dematerialized, mouse no longer needed ... That's it ... Simplicity ...
  • Reply 88 of 213
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

I do like Microsoft's incorporation of a PC based processor into their Surface which will run PC software and have usable USB ports.  In my business, this is a better and more useful direction for a tablet, showing that the iPad is really just for games and internet access and not work.  I see a place for both.

I think it just depends on what you do. I rarely use my MacBookPro anymore and my iPad exclusively for business.

• Reply 89 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernSoul35 View Post

It's not a Post-PC...it's a PC+

It's not a car...it's a Buggy+

It's not a lightbulb...it's a Candle+

It's not glass...it's Sand+

heh...this is fun! I should be in marketing. 

Good one NorthernSoul35. This naming strategy gives the PC industry plenty of scope for imaginative and informative names in the future too.

Maybe we will have PC++, PC+++ and then PC++++++ devices. Or maybe we could have the PC+-!#@% devices running Windows 86 with Maxwell Smart promoting it. But then again consumers might prefer names like PC-, PC-- and PC----- devices. The mind boggles!

• Reply 90 of 213
    krabbelenkrabbelen Posts: 243member
    nicolbolas wrote: »
    could offices across america the world replace their computer with iPads and get as much done in the same time?
    based on everything i have seen and heard the answer in no.  The closest device to being able to fill that role however, is the surface.... (the x86-64 version)

your statement is what i am talking about.  you don't NEED your iPad, its "extra" but you (and most others) need a "real PC" as some people call them.  I just say desktop/notebook.  

That being said one of my friend in Singapore went a month or two only using his iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad, i will ask him to write something about what he could and couldn't do :)!

what i was trying to say is until Tablets can FULLY REPLACE DESKTOPS FOR 90-95%+ people than I will not consider them in the same class as more traditional PC's (desktops, notebooks).

I think the only tablet that has a chance of filling both roles right now is actually the surface, mostly because you can use it is a tablet and than turn it into a notebook and have access to full versions of MS office/other productivity software.  

Tablets do not need to be considered in the "same class" as PCs or Macs for us to be talking about the "PostPC era". Who ever said anything about them being in the same class?

They don't even have to do many of the same things, just a few the things that we do a lot. Remember, Jobs said they don't have to do everything, just a few things really well, a few things better than PCs.

Tablets topped that expectation of Jobs when developers started to come up with things that people never envisaged, things that people did NOT do previously on the PC.

The point about the PostPC era is the MINDSHARE, not how many traditional PC tasks are now done on a tablet instead. But you might be surprised, many people with iPads use them for an awful lot of their daily tasks -- in fact they do a lot more computing than they did before when the PC collected dust in the corner, because the iPad is a more suitable device for them.

And that's it, you could measure Mindshare by looking at a person's computing time, if you like. Not what heavy lifting he doesn't do on his iPad or how it doesn't replace his PC for those few heavy lifting tasks he still uses his PC for.

Rather, look at how it is very likely, soon if not already, that a person who has an iPad spends 51% or more of his computing time on the iPad vs his PC. This is very easy to imagine, because he takes his iPad with him everywhere he goes -- to meetings, on the train, to the coffee shop, to bed, etc. So, forget the measure of "90-95%" of all conceivable computing tasks; where did that come from?

So, let's imagine for a moment that an average iPad owner uses his iPad for 51+% of his "computing" time, no matter what the task. And use of the iPad probably extends his computing time far beyond the computing time he engaged in before getting an iPad. The PC is becoming the supplemental device, not the other way around.

Now let's think how iPads are selling at a rate of 20 million per quarter (and read Asymco.com for how the adoption rate is beginning to eclipse "traditional PCs", bearing in mind that PCs are more of a one-per-household thing whereas tablets and smartphones are more of a one-per-person thing, or more). Now let's add iPhones because they are also iOS and people are becoming rather attached to them, too...

Voila, PostPC era, baby, here we come....woohoo!
  • Reply 91 of 213
    I like the idea of unifying the user experience, but I don't think the Metro UI is really the answer for that. As it stands, I like the sharing of ideas between the two seperate worlds iOS and OS X better; they aren't literally the same, but they do borrow a lot from one another.

But philosophically, I think the vision of "post-PC” is just plain better. Maybe post-PC isn't what consumers think they want, but innovation changes what people want. 20 years ago, the idea of a television wrist watch seemed like the future, but no one had even thought of anything like YouTube or Netflix. "What consumers want" isn't what drives the future, innovation does.
  • Reply 92 of 213
    fyngyrzfyngyrz Posts: 61member

Microsoft has it right: As tablets power up, they're destined to become more powerful, support more interfaces, like IR, radio, USB, optical, memory, etc. They'll move towards PCs. The closer they get, the more they can do, the better I'll like them.

Apple's misguided attempt to "IOS-a-cise" OSX will backfire on them. Guaranteed. It's a bad idea, based on a misperception.

The primary upgrade I need right now in IOS is true nested folders -- instead of this stupid, no-nest, limited count container that LOOKS like a folder... leading to a disorganized, spread-out mess on my tablet surface. Is it here? No, that folder is full. Is it there? No, that folder is full, too. Stupid. Just plain stupid. And wholly unnecessary.

Nested, scrolling folders have been OS basics since the early 1980's. Apple screwed the pooch there, too.

It'll be fun to see Android and Windows ignore the artificial limits Apple imposes. Nothing like seeing the mighty brought down for entertainment value.

• Reply 93 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Now even people that have never used a Mac seem to be familiar with the Get A Mac campaign if they are from a country that ran them.

...or used the Internet. The campaign never ran in India, but I saw quite a few of them online when visiting various sites. I never found them irritating as I normally find online ads.

• Reply 94 of 213
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post

Microsoft has it right: As tablets power up, they're destined to become more powerful, support more interfaces, like IR, radio, USB, optical, memory, etc. They'll move towards PCs. The closer they get, the more they can do, the better I'll like them.

Apple's misguided attempt to "IOS-a-cise" OSX will backfire on them. Guaranteed. It's a bad idea, based on a misperception.

The primary upgrade I need right now in IOS is true nested folders -- instead of this stupid, no-nest, limited count container that LOOKS like a folder... leading to a disorganized, spread-out mess on my tablet surface. Is it here? No, that folder is full. Is it there? No, that folder is full, too. Stupid. Just plain stupid. And wholly unnecessary.

Nested, scrolling folders have been OS basics since the early 1980's. Apple screwed the pooch there, too.

It'll be fun to see Android and Windows ignore the artificial limits Apple imposes. Nothing like seeing the mighty brought down for entertainment value.

you may well like all that geeky stuff "more powerful" tablets can do.

but you, sir, are in a very limited minority. the rest of the world, the vast majority, want "just works" instead.

wait and see.

• Reply 95 of 213
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

If Apple got serious and produced a real Office Suite comparable to MS Office (iWork doesn't count) but lean, mean and full of features, Microsoft would be screwed.

If I was a Microsoft investor, I would be seriously concerned. Don't let MS turn into RIM.

Very true.  I've often debated why Apple won't make a real Office Suite.  Look at the current situation.  Apple hasn't upgraded iWork in any significant manner since 2009.  The question is "why".  Apple isn't stupid.  It recognizes that people want them to make a competitive office suite.  Obviously Apple is choosing not to compete.   

I've thought of many possible reasons, but the one that makes the most sense to me is that Apple doesn't want or can't get Microsoft's primary customer, which is corporate IT.  For most of us, our corporate IT manager is the one that decides which document processing software we use and if and when we upgrade that software.  There is zero chance that my corporate IT director is going to be shopping at the Apple store anytime soon.  Apple must recognize this problem and chooses not to fight a battle it will probably lose.

The only hope we have is that Macs will continue their assent into enterprise.  At some point, there will be enough Macs in the workplace to make a compelling case to compete in word processing.  I don't think we are anywhere near the critical mass we need.  I'm thinking it might be iWork 2020.

• Reply 96 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyngyrz View Post

What you fail to consider is how easy Apple made it for software developers to write software for the iPad and iPhone.  That has resulted in a drastic reduction in cost in software for the iPad and iPhone.  Apps cost $1-$5 instead of $50-$300 like OS-X and Windows apps.  Apple is succeeding in training a whole generation of new programmers.  And, the limitations of iOS are diminishing every year.  With Apple's upgrade cycle, there is no reason why Apple can't keep its developers and customers happy.  (or at least most of them).  In the meantime, Apple's devices will continue to be the fastest and lightest produvts with the best batter life (which is what matters to the largest number of people). And they will have plenty of software to choose from.   

• Reply 97 of 213

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Remember when people thought the Zune would kick ass because MS always won? Things didn't work out so well and that was when MS had a dominate mind share in the tech field. Things could be different, but based on my experience with Win8 and their inability to understand what customers want and how to focus on a single product I'm guessing they won't this time around either. Things will get more clear once they actually give us a ship date on and price points on their multiple tablets with incompatible OSes and apps.

Ouch!!!!  That's a quip to remember.

BTW, isn't the Big Bang Theory the funniest TV show ever produced?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

If Apple got serious and produced a real Office Suite comparable to MS Office (iWork doesn't count) but lean, mean and full of features, Microsoft would be screwed.

If I was a Microsoft investor, I would be seriously concerned. Don't let MS turn into RIM.

Very true.  I've often debated why Apple won't make a real Office Suite.  Look at the current situation.  Apple hasn't upgraded iWork in any significant manner since 2009.  The question is "why".  Apple isn't stupid.  It recognizes that people want them to make a competitive office suite.  Obviously Apple is choosing not to compete.   

I've thought of many possible reasons, but the one that makes the most sense to me is that Apple doesn't want or can't get Microsoft's primary customer, which is corporate IT.  For most of us, our corporate IT manager is the one that decides which document processing software we use and if and when we upgrade that software.  There is zero chance that my corporate IT director is going to be shopping at the Apple store anytime soon.  Apple must recognize this problem and chooses not to fight a battle it will probably lose.

The only hope we have is that Macs will continue their assent into enterprise.  At some point, there will be enough Macs in the workplace to make a compelling case to compete in word processing.  I don't think we are anywhere near the critical mass we need.  I'm thinking it might be iWork 2020.

• Reply 98 of 213
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Thats not the point.... the point is that the PC is not going away, instead PC's are being supplemented by tablets.

MS is right... its simple, tell me what "PC" stands for.... now tell me what a tablet is... or are tablets not personal?

Er, tablets are mobile as in you don't need a keyboard because there is a virtual one and you can do it anywhere and the best thing is the apps are really cheap.
  • Reply 99 of 213
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    And if Apple made it have backwards compatibility with old file types... that is the real problem i think....

and MS office is so entrenched.... imagine if RIM had phones with 10 year contracts..... and no way to terminate early....

aside from that it would be great!!! (aka once if took 5-10+ years to grow)

All applications are backward compatible but the problem is old applications are not compatible with the latest and greatest.
  • Reply 100 of 213
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member

To my mind the differences in post-pc and pc+ are of attitude and usage.

Pc+ refers to the things you do at the office (work) and want to take home (or along with you) so you continue working.

Post-pc refers to the stuff you do for yourself... Instead of work -- stuff that you want to do, that you enjoy,  that interests or fulfills you.

I think most of us understand the pc+ connotation, so let's focus on post-pc activities that you wouldn't do on a pc+ device (a laptop or a tablet with a "proper OS" and ?proper apps").

The grand kids took a car trip (2 days, each way) to Canada with their dad.  Each had their personal iPad.  Each could do his own thing, changing at will -- read, watch movies, listen to music, play games (together or independently).  Each had his iPad in a case and the charger -- that's it... No battery's, kbs, accessories -- just the iPads.

At least once a week we have a family reading session -- where we sit around, each taking turns reading aloud while the others follow along on his personal iPad.  The emphasis is on comprehension and "story-telling".  We pass of the reading  to someone else, randomly... So you need to pay attention.  At any time anyone can ask the meaning of something or challenge the readers's emphasis or pronunciation.

Any of us (my daughter and I, mainly) will have our iPad handy (in our lap) when sitting in front of the TV.  At the spur of the moment we will surf the web (what films has that actor been in, when was Steve Nash drafted, what's a good recipe for clams casino...).  

When anyone needs something from the store, they tell my daughter  -- who enters it into a checklist app I wrote (iPhone and iPad)

At the supermarket, my daughter and/or the kids will fan out through the aisles gathering items from the list.

Later, in the kitchen, my granddaughter puts her iPad in a ziplock bag so she can cook dinner from the recipes she found.

Often, while watching the tube, I will surf the web, post to forums, or play games.  I just grab my handy iPad.

During the kids trip to Canada, we monitored their progress with Find my iPhone.

When they got back, my granddaughter, compared her shots of, say, the Space Needle with the iOS 6 3D maps.

I have never been to their grandfathers house in Victoria.  But I was able to locate it with iOS 6 maps (the one with the red roof between to gray roofs). I dropped a pin and got the address range, then went to Street View (iOS 5 on another iPad).  I maneuvered in front of the red roofed house and took a screen shot.  I emailed the photo to my granddaughter:  "Look Familiar?".   It blew her away -- she  thought we followed them to Vancouver.   Boom!

BTW, those iPhone pictures that my granddaughter took on her trip to Canada, appeared instantly on all our iPad photo streams.

if one of us is trying to think of a song --- we can search among the 16,000 songs we have on iCloud.

While my daughter is watching TV, she often works on a class presentation (church) or checks/builds her calendar including soccer schedules.

My granddaughter, while in Canada, shot some video on her iPhone and made a movie with iMovie on her iPad.

Yes, you certainly could do some of this on a PC or a PC+ device... But, likely, you wouldn't get up, walk over to the PC in the corner, sit down, fire it up, wait, start the app, wait, do your thing, shut down the PC, get up, walk back to the couch and sit down... Or even attempt to put the laptop in a ziplock bag while cooking...

That's too much "work"!  

This is my stuff!

If this seems rather disjointed -- it's because it is -- that's the way life is for most of us...  Things come up -- unplanned, we adapt, handle it and move on... That's the post-pc world we live in -- that's what the iPad/iPhone excel at!  ...(a plethora of preposition violations)

Dictated and typed (virtual kb) on my iPad while sitting on the couch.