Next-gen iPhone with "Gorilla Glass inlay" to launch in Sept. despite reported component shortage

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have to wonder in the greater sense what you think a company is supposed to do when marketing a new product? You seem to indicate creating a demand through innovation, design and excellent marketing is a bad thing. So what do you say about every other product that is launched? When BMW launches a new car for example do you immediately write to all the BMW fan blogs and insult their intelligence for listening to BMW's marketing and being excited about the latests and greatest version of their favorite car? Is wanting to buy such a car simply because it is cool and no other car has it? Is it really that simply? Could it be some people really love their BMWs? Have you ever considered that?

Perhaps your post was just a joke but my comment is aimed at all such negative comments and there are plenty.

agreed.

Unless it's something Apple can show 'improves the experience' they won't use it as a marketing lead.  Retina Display, 3G, Siri. Camera, battery life, Video, iPhoto, Calendar... all are things you 'use' on the phone.  You never heard them advertising the 'external antenna' (thank god... that would have been a major backfire), or the A5 Chip, or the GB of storage, or the 11N wireless... those are invisible.   Sight, sound, interaction, response, size (small) ... that's their lead on the phone.

My guess is if they increase the size of the screen, it will be in a message of 'fits in the same pocket' as before.

• Reply 42 of 49
    Except that it's already been available on smartphones for a year and a half?
  • Reply 43 of 49
    chabig wrote: »
    LTE is pretty "WOW".

Except that it's been available for a year and a half already on smartphones? Lol
  • Reply 44 of 49
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
  • Reply 45 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Adam Foosaner View Post

Except that it's been available for a year and a half already on smartphones? Lol

What's your point? He doesn't use other smartphones. I don't use other smartphones. Over 30% of people don't use other smartphones. Does its existence on other smartphones somehow stop it from being a great improvement over HSPA+ or HSPA?

• Reply 46 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What's your point? He doesn't use other smartphones. I don't use other smartphones. Over 30% of people don't use other smartphones. Does its existence on other smartphones somehow stop it from being a great improvement over HSPA+ or HSPA?

That is like asking why  it would not be a big deal if a company were to announce in 1939 that their new vehicle needs no horse to propel it.

LTE has been standard on any half-decent phone for a loooong time.  Apple playing ketchup does not make the inclusion of a standard tech a big deal.

• Reply 47 of 49
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

It seems the new thing apple is doing is implementing a feature that only works with the new phone.

iPhone 4- FaceTime

4S- Siri

New iPhone might just be 4G (which would be cool)- but I'm really really hoping they go with a NFC chip and make passbook a fully featured wallet.

Although, it'll probably be 4G this time and NFC next.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

LTE is pretty "WOW".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Foosaner View Post

LTE alone isn't a "WOW" feature.

Why? Because when Apple introduced it on the iPad it wasn't the main feature they marketed. The "Retina Display" was. That's because Apple likes to market consumer friendly features like cameras, retina displays, or even software like Siri to be the main "WOW" feature upgrade for their models. 

Nothing we've seen so far can quantify as that so I'm hoping their will still be surprises for us at the event.

NFC may come but unless it comes with a full network of retailers and banks signed up it'll be useless to consumers.

My guess is something with inductive charging or maybe some surprise software enhancement will be debuted.

• Reply 48 of 49
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,012member

Can anyone tell me why the they would move the audio jack to the bottom? When I use my phone on the treadmill for music, games, etc., it sits on its bottom edge on a ledge. A bottom jack will make that impossible. Are there benefits to this move that I am missing? Guess I could turn the phone upside down.

• Reply 49 of 49
    While I understand the features issue, communicating that the iPhone is again technologically superior, via liquid metal or something else, such as was done with Siri, is all that is really required to make the phone a huge hit. (Perhaps the rumor that the phone will cost the carriers more pays for the L M ;) )