Apple reportedly shifting iPad panel orders from Samsung to Sharp, LG

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    evokenevoken Posts: 56member

First they intend to cut off Google's traffic/revenue from Google Map by replacing it with their own maps app and now they cut off Samsung's revenue from the iPad panel by shifting to Samsung's competitors. Samsung and Google will definitely take a serious hit from this and will start losing lots of money.

• Reply 22 of 45
    raptoroo7raptoroo7 Posts: 140member

I am curious if the contracts with Samsung don't have a minimum quantity to be ordered on them.  If not that seems odd since Apple is simply attacking a supplier's who is a subsidiary of another company they are suing.  Yes I get it Apple is suing Samsung so why shouldn't they, other than breaching terms of a contract, which no one here has read I'm sure.  I am just speculating.

• Reply 23 of 45
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    jragosta wrote: »
    So "never correct in the history of the universe" is a "mixed record"?
    I wonder if Digitimes is sharing their revenues with AI. That's the only explanation I can think of for why AI quotes such a clearly disreputable source so frequently.
    Yes, we know that AppleInsider loves the pageviews from inane Digitimes-sourced posts.

It is very possible that Digitimes is getting a pageview kickback from AI.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    It's in any manufacturer's best interest to diversify your supply chain. Especially if your suppliers are blatantly stealing from you...
  • Reply 25 of 45
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

I am curious if the contracts with Samsung don't have a minimum quantity to be ordered on them.  If not that seems odd since Apple is simply attacking a supplier's who is a subsidiary of another company they are suing.  Yes I get it Apple is suing Samsung so why shouldn't they, other than breaching terms of a contract, which no one here has read I'm sure.  I am just speculating.

You speak as if hurting one won't have an impact on the other.  These are not separated companies.  There is corporate umbrella and what affects one will be known to the other.

Also I'm sure Apple didnt stumble across this idea just today.  Samsung has been a thorn in their side for a long time so I'm sure Apple's negotiators got themselves as much wiggle room in the contracts as they could (while still getting the kind of output they needed of course).

• Reply 26 of 45

That's what happens when you steal from friends!

• Reply 27 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evoken View Post

First they intend to cut off Google's traffic/revenue from Google Map by replacing it with their own maps app and now they cut off Samsung's revenue from the iPad panel by shifting to Samsung's competitors. Samsung and Google will definitely take a serious hit from this and will start losing lots of money.

That's what happens when you steal from friends...

• Reply 28 of 45
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What's 'Adobe'?

It's a beauty products company. It makes things that are used by models and agencies all over the world to enhance the beauty of their subjects. Among other things, it slims and removes cellulite, can help with complexion problems, and copes with hair loss and color.

• Reply 29 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

It's a beauty products company. It makes things that are used by models and agencies all over the world to enhance the beauty of their subjects. Among other things, it slims and removes cellulite, can help with complexion problems, and copes with hair loss and color.

I really like that definition. I also like, "They're in the lying industry."

• Reply 30 of 45
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

If this is true, Samsung is losing their biggest customer. 

loosing Apple, while quite noteworthy, isn't too significant for Samsung Group, overall.  the purported $7.8 billion revenue deal between Apple and Samsung Electronics only accounts for about six (6) percent of Samsung Electronics revenue.  in 2011, Samsung Electronics reported a revenue of $133 billion.

http://www.samsung.com/us/aboutsamsung/news/newsIrRead.do?news_ctgry=irnewsrelease&news_seq=20096

• Reply 31 of 45
    What's 'Adobe'?
    Their name is mud.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    emacs72 wrote: »

loosing Apple, while quite noteworthy, isn't too significant for Samsung Group, overall.  the purported $7.8 billion revenue deal between Apple and Samsung Electronics only accounts for about six (6) percent of Samsung Electronics revenue.  in 2011, Samsung Electronics reported a revenue of $133 billion.
    http://www.samsung.com/us/aboutsamsung/news/newsIrRead.do?news_ctgry=irnewsrelease&news_seq=20096

Sorry, but losing 6% of your revenues can make a HUGE difference in profitability.
  • Reply 33 of 45

Apple needs to make some deals with manufacturers and have them open plants in the USA as a stipulation. After the contract expires and the industry has been established after ten or so years of production, Apple could just not renew the contract. Then the company would lose so much business that they would shut down. Then Apple could buy the factory and rehire the workers to do work directly for them. It's a long term devious strategy but it would be better for the USA to get more manufacturing here and Apple could control it better.

If the factory didn't lose business when Apple doesn't renew the contract then it is still a win for the USA to have high tech manufacturing here.

It has probably been years since Apple realized that they can only fully control their manufacturing and intellectual property by owning the production sources. They've decided that less expensive manufacturing is more important to them than total control. That decision is now biting them in the rear.

Build more in the USA Tim. Jony says it's not about the money.

• Reply 34 of 45
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sorry, but losing 6% of your revenues can make a HUGE difference in profitability.

Samsung Group and the electronics division will thrive.  Apple will also thrive.  in other words, business will continue quite well for both parties in the long term.

• Reply 35 of 45
    umrk_labumrk_lab Posts: 550member
    Apple needs to make some deals with manufacturers and have them open plants in the USA as a stipulation. After the contract expires and the industry has been established after ten or so years of production, Apple could just not renew the contract. Then the company would lose so much business that they would shut down. Then Apple could buy the factory and rehire the workers to do work directly for them. It's a long term devious strategy but it would be better for the USA to get more manufacturing here and Apple could control it better.

If the factory didn't lose business when Apple doesn't renew the contract then it is still a win for the USA to have high tech manufacturing here.

It has probably been years since Apple realized that they can only fully control their manufacturing and intellectual property by owning the production sources. They've decided that less expensive manufacturing is more important to them than total control. That decision is now biting them in the rear.

Build more in the USA Tim. Jony says it's not about the money.

It is not that simple. Apple designs and manufactures highly integrated products, incorporating hardware and software elements, like car manufacturers, or plane manufacturers. While it is true that Apple tends to be more vertically integrated than most of these companies, there is a limit to this kind of integration, because being in charge of a component also means to carry out (and fund) the basic research that is necessary to keep on being at the sate of the art (it is not just a question of manufacturing costs). By acquiring components from outside, Appe spares the enormous costs of research and development associated to these. it just has to constantly be reviewing the state of the art, and select the supplier who offers the best technology.

Of course one could object that this is what Samsung does, being both a component supplier and an integrator. But on the long term, this kind of conglomerate has to choose between those two different roles, because it is exremely difficult to excel in both.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Are people here going to start dumping their Samsung TV's?

• Reply 37 of 45
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    haggar wrote: »

They should. Even the huge borderless pretty ones have absolutely atrocious software. With annoying animated icons and crap smart bullshit and apps worse than android.

It literally makes me want to smash it into tiny pieces, acostomed to Apple as I am.

Don't even get me started on pairing the surround sound speakers.

Nobody ever mentions this little hell. And they go oh maybe I'm the stupid one. No. That's what the Mac taught us. Hardware's a machine. Software needs to be human.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    petrapetra Posts: 1member

Samsung has its mitts in a lot of pies, and I for one don't trust their brand any more. They manufacture everything from smartphones to washing machines to tv sets.

They don't stand by their products and they were a lawsuit waiting to happen.  I'm glad to see an American company flex their muscle to send a message to the other Asian companies out there who have stolen intllectual property.  

Apple is a quality product unlike alot of the other brands.

• Reply 39 of 45
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    I wonder what this means for Apple buying memory from them. They will probably start buying more from Hynix and Micron I suppose.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    timmydax wrote: »
    haggar wrote: »

They should. Even the huge borderless pretty ones have absolutely atrocious software. With annoying animated icons and crap smart bullshit and apps worse than android.

It literally makes me want to smash it into tiny pieces, acostomed to Apple as I am.

Don't even get me started on pairing the surround sound speakers.

Nobody ever mentions this little hell. And they go oh maybe I'm the stupid one. No. That's what the Mac taught us. Hardware's a machine. Software needs to be human.

Hitting a home run here! Fully agree; their interface is shyte. Even a simple thing as switching from my MacMini to the AppleTV can be a pain. The remote, the...wel no need to make you relive this. It does get mentioned on and off here though.