Video describes iPhone 5 face as longer, thinner and more scratch resistant

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    tshorttshort Posts: 46member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Thinner display tech + a more energy efficient display and processor should = a thinner phone that at least matched the 4S's battery life.

Personally hoping for at least one aspect of the hardware design to wow people such as its overall thinness.

But add in energy-hungry LTE...

I also would prefer more battery life. If the electronic components are thinner and smaller, I'd prefer the same size phone with a bigger battery to maintain or exceed the battery life of my current 4.

I've been eligible for an upgrade since January, I'm waiting to see what Apple comes out with before committing. My wife couldn't wait, and bought a 4S the day she was eligible for an upgrade.

• Reply 22 of 57
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

I still hope it's a joke.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

So do I. It just looks awkward and a bit strange. Maybe after holding it and actually using it I might feel different. It won't really matter to me that much since I will likely skip the iPhone 5 and wait for the iPhone 6 when it is released next year when I can use my upgrade credit. I might change my mind if the rumors are false and the iPhone 5 really beats expectations. If the current rumors are true, hopefully Apple will receive enough negative backlash and lowered sales that they will finally relent and give us a wider phone next year with at least a 4.3" or larger screen. 

I'm definitely hoping that Apple unleashes the teardrop iPhone instead, because that one was flawlessly sexy

imageimageimageimage

Anyway @gwmac

If the next iPhone does fail Apple is more likely to go BACK to a smaller 3.5 inch screen! So far all intents and purposes this iPhone needs to succeed if you want to one day see an iPhone with a much larger screen.

• Reply 23 of 57
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tshort View Post

But add in energy-hungry LTE...

I also would prefer more battery life. If the electronic components are thinner and smaller, I'd prefer the same size phone with a bigger battery to maintain or exceed the battery life of my current 4.

I've been eligible for an upgrade since January, I'm waiting to see what Apple comes out with before committing. My wife couldn't wait, and bought a 4S the day she was eligible for an upgrade.

You're probably in the minority of consumers that want a relatively thick phone in favor of a bigger battery.

The 4S is one of the thicker phones now, so I would hope Apple would for the sake of their legacy of "thinness" and beauty make the phone a bit thinner.

They can use the same battery and the savings they get from the new screen tech and the low power efficient A6 could go to powering the hungry LTE chips, all while the phone shrink a millimeter or 2.

• Reply 24 of 57
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Still waiting for some genius to actually measure the height of the thing as well as the thickness of the assembled parts.

Indeed! I don't want a phone that cannot fall sideways in my pocket; if it cannot I won't buy it. Will heave a problem when my current one dies...

anonymouse wrote: »
    Or, following the lead of every other Apple product, including the iPad:

6th: (the new) iPhone

If it's too tall for my taste I certainly hope they will keep the current iPhone, teh iPhone Classic. In what year was the original iPod designated as the Classic one?
  • Reply 25 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

So do I. It just looks awkward and a bit strange. Maybe after holding it and actually using it I might feel different. It won't really matter to me that much since I will likely skip the iPhone 5 and wait for the iPhone 6 when it is released next year when I can use my upgrade credit. I might change my mind if the rumors are false and the iPhone 5 really beats expectations. If the current rumors are true, hopefully Apple will receive enough negative backlash and lowered sales that they will finally relent and give us a wider phone next year with at least a 4.3" or larger screen. 

Stop.

• Reply 26 of 57
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    djrumpy wrote: »
    I was hoping for wider, not taller. I could easily fit a wider phone in my hand, but taller makes holding and clicking in one hand a bit more problematic. 
    Taller IS wider when it matters. Perusing these forums on an iPhone will be a lot better on a taller screen held sideways. When Reader doesn't work sideways often isn't wide enough so every little helps.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    And how can you be more scratch resistant than 'fully'? I can't scratch my 1st gen's screen to save my life. 
    what's it like living in a cotton wool bubble?
  • Reply 28 of 57

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

what's it like living in a cotton wool bubble?

Difficult to breathe, but it's soft as all get out.

• Reply 29 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ireland wrote: »
    I bet you the reality of owning one proves it's the exact same glass.

How do you figure? Isn't GG2 205 thinner for the same durability? If so, going 10% thinner means it's more resilient that the GG1 they use now. If they are still using GG1 (which I doubt) then they have a glass cover that is weaker than currently used. In either case it doesn't seem to be the exact same.

blackbook wrote: »
    Thinner display tech + a more energy efficient display and processor should = a thinner phone that at least matched the 4S's battery life.
    Personally hoping for at least one aspect of the hardware design to wow people such as its overall thinness.

The SoC is probably the biggest gain in power efficiency for the same performance. The display could improve but I'd wager that the pixels it's pushing to it account for the majority or the power it needs. I doubt that the additional increase in resolution account for much just as I doubt the melding of the display and touch panels amount for much. I'd call that a wash. The biggest gain after the SoC could be the backlight as there is one less matrix to deal with and perhaps a more efficient backlight tech being used. I doubt the thinning glass would affect that in any meaningful way.

blackbook wrote: »

I'm definitely hoping that Apple unleashes the teardrop iPhone instead, because that one was flawlessly sexy
    [...]

It's sexy but impractical. Unlike Android-based devices Apple designed their iOS and their devices to be usable in multiple orientation. The iPad even takes this concept farther by making it rotate smoothly on all 4 sides. That makes a teardrop design simply an issue in much the same way some very nice prototypes for the iPhone were scraped because they affected usability. On top of that, a solid aluminum casing would fair well for RF.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Other benefits are bringing it 1 pixel away from being 16:9 aspect ratio for videos without losing any of the usability of the 3:2 design.

Yup, and people like my mom are going to want a stretch feature to get rid of the black letter-box bars until developers manage to upgrade their apps for the new widescreen aspect ration.

You now how old folks like their picture to fill up the screen, even if it makes the actors look like they gained 20 or 30 pounds ...
  • Reply 31 of 57
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    So you don't want usable battery life?

So you don't want a bigger phone?

I want a bigger screen not a bigger phone. This design makes me vomit.
    Sticking with my 4 if it is confirmed.
  • Reply 32 of 57

I want a bigger screen not a bigger phone.

So you want no home button and no speaker so that when you get a call you can't hear them and when you're done you can't go back to the rest of the device.

This design makes me vomit.

Which also makes you vomit, as it's the same design.

Seriously, are these people listening to themselves?

• Reply 33 of 57
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So you want no home button and no speaker so that when you get a call you can't hear them and when you're done you can't go back to the rest of the device.

Yes I hate the home button. Speaker with a front camera could fit at the rounded top section (just like it is done on the back panel).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Which also makes you vomit, as it's the same design.

Seriously, are these people listening to themselves?

Not it is not the same. It is freaking 1cm+ longer. But I could tolerate it if the screen had the same dimensions as the center (gray) back panel.
  • Reply 34 of 57

Speaker with a front camera could fit at the rounded top section (just like it is done on the back panel).

But that doesn't exist in your vision because the design and size doesn't change. So the only way to make the screen bigger is to make the phone into a tesseract so that it is simultaneously large enough for a larger screen and small enough to stay the same size.

Not it is not the same. It is freaking 1cm+ longer.

• Reply 35 of 57
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

I am sure they will explain in the keynotes why they came up with that design.  One thing I can think of is dock accessories.  The phone will still fit with an adaptor. They may still make it wider and taller next year.

I think its pretty obvious with the number of different leaks that this is going to be next iphone.

• Reply 36 of 57
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member

Honestly I'm not too concerned about battery life.  My phone is constantly plugged in to some power source, either on its dock at home or connected to USB at work.  What I'd really really like would be a reflective background to make it possible to read the screen in plain sunlight.  This obviously requires sacrificing a bit of brightness because the reflective surface wouldn't be as transparent, but to me the convenience to read maps in the sun is a lot more important.  On the iPad this would make even more sense for outdoors reading.  I'd take an iPad with 50% of the brightness with a semi-reflective background that doesn't waste its battery over the current iPad that wastes a lot of battery, is useless for reading in the sun, and overheats so much at full brightness that it gets uncomfortable to hold without a cover.

• Reply 37 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jason98 wrote: »
    I want a bigger screen not a bigger phone. This design makes me vomit.

According to my calculations it's less than 1/3" longer yet adds a lot more on the display height. That is something in willing to deal with especially considering it's not any thicker or wider.

mac_128 wrote: »
    Yup, and people like my mom are going to want a stretch feature to get rid of the black letter-box bars until developers manage to upgrade their apps for the new widescreen aspect ration.
    You now how old folks like their picture to fill up the screen, even if it makes the actors look like they gained 20 or 30 pounds ...

I assume Apple will not include a stretch feature to anything. I'm also guessing that "good" apps, meaning apps that followed Apple's guidelines, will resolve fine as they should just be showing more data on screen.
  • Reply 38 of 57

IMHO, it's not worth arguing over design aesthetics. People have differing tastes. However, coming to knee-jerk reactions such as "this design makes me vomit" or "Apple doesn't need to move far from its current design because it's perfect" are no better than political sensationalism.

Without seeing the new design fully assembled in person, I can't form a complete opinion on this design. However, from what I have seen so far, I am excited for it. I've wanted a larger screen since the 4S came out (I'm currently still using an iPhone 4).

Ignore the complainers already. If this design proves true (which is almost certain at this point), Apple reduced the thickness of the upper and lower bezel, reduced the Home button's size, centered the front-facing camera, increased the screen real estate, added durability to the phone's construction, and all while possibly reducing the phone's thickness and without increasing the overall size more than marginally.

It's like Apple actually listened to it's customers' comments and improved their design accordingly. Yet the complaints continue... but that's ok. It'll keep Apple from sitting still. I just wish people would act in accordance with the standards of maturity, reasoned thinking, and respect for others when voicing their criticisms.

• Reply 39 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

So accurately noting that this is the 6th, not 5th iPhone is 'OCD'?

Nobody calls it the 5th iPhone.  Pretty much everybody, however, calls it the iPhone 5.

• Reply 40 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Stop.

Stifle.