Scott Forstall describes iOS development, challenges in Samsung trial

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 79
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,213moderator
    pooch wrote:
    deleted. twice now.

    Before you make a 3rd attempt, there's no conspiracy here - grammar and spelling reports have nothing to do with the topic. They just fill up the thread with noise. Go to any mainstream online news publication and you will find spelling and grammar errors here and there. It's the nature of disposable online news. There will be another story tomorrow with a new set of mistakes. If the news the article is meant to deliver is delivered then it has served its purpose. The editor might not even read the thread so the mistakes won't be corrected anyway. If you feel there should be better proof-reading in general, let them know in the feedback forum.
    genovelle wrote:
    I agree! I really want to hear what Samsung's process is.

    I think we know what their process is now.
  • Reply 42 of 79
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Marvin wrote: »
    Before you make a 3rd attempt, there's no conspiracy here - grammar and spelling reports have nothing to do with the topic. They just fill up the thread with noise. Go to any mainstream online news publication and you will find spelling and grammar errors here and there.

    if you're deleting my comments because i'm critical of the spelling and grammar errors then you ought to go through and delete all the other "noise", there are several others similar comments just in this thread alone.

    do you even read the stuff you write, appleinsider? this blog entry alone is rife with mistakes, as are most appleinsider blog entries. and that is not true about 'mainstream online news publications'. what is it you do for a living oh, right ... write. don't expect to be taken seriously if you can't even get the basics down, and then simply explain it away by saying everyone else does it (especially when they don't). "it's ok that we're shyte because everyone else is shyte." again, what is it you do for a living? got the page view, though, so it's all good.
  • Reply 43 of 79

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post





    if you're deleting my comments because i'm critical of the spelling and grammar errors then you ought to go through and delete all the other "noise", there are several others similar comments just in this thread alone.

    do you even read the stuff you write, appleinsider? this blog entry alone is rife with mistakes, as are most appleinsider blog entries. and that is not true about 'mainstream online news publications'. what is it you do for a living oh, right ... write. don't expect to be taken seriously if you can't even get the basics down, and then simply explain it away by saying everyone else does it (especially when they don't). "it's ok that we're shyte because everyone else is shyte." again, what is it you do for a living? got the page view, though, so it's all good.


    Totally agree with you, Pooch! Posts in the thread wouldn't need to be scrubbed if they weren't so easily distracted off topic by needless errors in the writing of the articles. I can almost see removing grammar criticisms between posters, but posters shouldn't have any reason to find fault with the writing of the articles themselves!


     


    Typos in live streaming blogs from Apple events are understandable. But in an article, to this degree? And defending the errors with "it's OK because other sites do it too"? Ridiculous and ridiculous! If they can take the time to delete these perfectly legitimate criticisms (which have increased a lot in the past few years) as "noise," then they can take the time to proofread for errors and correct mistakes before they post the articles in the first place!


     


    This post will probably get deleted too, but the writers at AI would benefit from this blog post in the Harvard Business Review by Kyle Wiens (CEO of iFixit, the largest online repair community, as well as founder of Dozuki) entitled I Won't Hire People Who Use Poor Grammar. Here's Why. If Steve Jobs' or Scott Forstall's product was words, like AI's is, I'd bet they'd never allow such error-ridden writing to be published. They'd expect and demand nothing less than the best, just as Scott Forstall explained of Apple in court.

  • Reply 44 of 79
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,743member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by amoradala View Post


    From Forbes.


     


    He’s (Forstall is) asked if he told anyone at Apple to copy from Samsung’s designs.


     


    “I never directed anyone to go and copy something from Samsung. We wanted to build something great…There was no reason to look at anything they had done.”


     


    Nice one Scott!



     


    Forstall for CEO.   ;)

  • Reply 45 of 79
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,743member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post





    If he has 1,000 people working on Siri why is it still beta and why does it still suck?


     


    Several thousand people working at RIM. Why, after several years of experiencing new market realities do they still have their heads up their ass and letting their platform die?


     


    Several thousand people working at Nokia. Why, after several years of experiencing new market realities do they still have their heads up their ass and letting their platform die?


     


    Several thousand people working at Microsoft. Windows Phone. No one cares. 


     


    Several thousand people working at Microsoft. Surface and Windows 8.  HUH???


     


    Several thousand people working at HTC. The company is in a flat spin. "We just have a problem with execution and . . . and . . . *insert corporate gobbledygook*


     


    Several thousand people working at HP. Touchpad platfrom = dead. 


     


    Apple's biggest problem? Siri has to study a little more. 


     


     


     


    We're getting spoiled by Apple. Others can barely get a friggin platform off the ground. 


     


    Perspective. 

  • Reply 46 of 79
    sennensennen Posts: 1,465member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I can't see Apple being happy with all these internal design process details, private discussion with SJ, emails, behind the scenes stuff, etc all being publicized. I've gained more insight into Apple's internals these past couple days than I have in years of following them as a company. It just seems so.... odd, for all this stuff to be coming out from these execs from such a secretive company. I can just feel SJ rolling in his grave. 

    They (Apple) obviously feel the benefit of winning this case far outweighs the cost of revealing so much about how they work. I tend to agree.
  • Reply 47 of 79
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,979member
    dmarcoot wrote: »
    If Jobs ever had said there might be something worth copying, IF, and they didn't actual copy anything, why ask? I think Samsung is trying to confuse the jury. What was Samnsung doing before than iPhone and iOS that was even worth stealing?

    How about the cell phone and how it works? Samsung made many advancements in that area, if it weren't for Samsung then Apple wouldn't have been able o make a phone at all. I have myself posted pics of the LG Prada and the F700 but not to accuse Apple of copying but to show that other manufacturers were thinking along the same lines that touch screen devices were the future. They just didn't come out with a product as refined or as useful as the iPhone, but they were on the right track.
  • Reply 48 of 79
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post



    ...the F700 but not to accuse Apple of copying but to show that other manufacturers were thinking along the same lines that touch screen devices were the future...


     


    This F700:-


     


     


    image


     


    If at the time of working on the F700, Samsung thought "touch screen phones were the future", why does it have a slide out keyboard?

  • Reply 49 of 79
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


     


    This F700:-


     


     


    image


     


    If at the time of working on the F700, Samsung thought "touch screen phones were the future", why does it have a slide out keyboard?



     I searched on this a while back. The drivers/feedback weren't perfect at the time. I thought the original iphone was a bit annoying too when it came to things like texting. it has improved considerably. With something where they were obviously testing the market by including a touch screen as it was becoming feasible in terms of construction costs, this shouldn't surprise you. Other brands are a lot more cautious than Apple. Quite often even if they do something nice, the tech blogs will point out the changes in a negative way. This has happened with a few notebooks and things in the past. Anyway you're probably already aware of all of this, so there's really no need to play dumb. Note that Apple's original suit included claims against this phone too. They dropped them later.

  • Reply 50 of 79
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,979member
    Everything
    hill60 wrote: »
    This F700:-


    700

    If at the time of working on the F700, Samsung thought "touch screen phones were the future", why does it have a slide out keyboard?

    There are still plenty of touchscreen phones with slide out keyboards, it doesn't take away from the on screen's keyboard usefulness. Look at the first Droid, it had a slide out keyboard. Now I ask you, if the SGS 2 had a slide out keyboard would you say "well it looks nothing like an iphone because of it"? If the argument is good one way it should be good the other way as well.
  • Reply 51 of 79
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Everything
    There are still plenty of touchscreen phones with slide out keyboards, it doesn't take away from the on screen's keyboard usefulness. Look at the first Droid, it had a slide out keyboard. Now I ask you, if the SGS 2 had a slide out keyboard would you say "well it looks nothing like an iphone because of it"? If the argument is good one way it should be good the other way as well.

    It's a moot point.

    Apple claimed the F700 as prior art when they applied for their design patent. Since the patent office had access to that prior art before granting Apple the patent, it's almost impossible to use the F700 as prior art to invalidate the patent.
  • Reply 52 of 79


    Wow, they are really getting personal on the attacks. haha. I wonder how samsung can ever defend against Apple employees who were gifted such golden tongues?

  • Reply 53 of 79
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Wow, they are really getting personal on the attacks. haha. I wonder how samsung can ever defend against Apple employees who were gifted such golden tongues?

    They could always try to use evidence - if they hadn't destroyed most of it. /s
  • Reply 54 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,449member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post





    They could always try to use evidence - if they hadn't destroyed most of it. /s


    Gosh, it only left 38 million pages of evidence to sift thru. Perhaps in the month that the trial is scheduled for they can get to a good percentage of it.

  • Reply 55 of 79
    dmarcoot wrote: »
    If Jobs ever had said there might be something worth copying, IF, and they didn't actual copy anything, why ask? I think Samsung is trying to confuse the jury. What was Samnsung doing before than iPhone and iOS that was even worth stealing?

    Samsung was waiting for the next version of Windows CE and developing the BlackJack 3 or 4.

    If Android had not come along, Samsung wouldn't have their current share of the smartphone market.

    Samsung didn't really innovate bc they had to use someone else's OS, they could not make a good one by themselves. It's like all the PC OEMSs running Windows.

    If Android wouldn't have come along, the market would be dominated by iOS, RIM, Symbian, and webOS.

    webOS is dead bc the market got flooded with many cheap android phones. Maybe things would be different if HP licensed webOS to all the OEMs that ended up building android phones?
  • Reply 56 of 79
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,979member
    jragosta wrote: »
    It's a moot point.
    Apple claimed the F700 as prior art when they applied for their design patent. Since the patent office had access to that prior art before granting Apple the patent, it's almost impossible to use the F700 as prior art to invalidate the patent.

    Huh? Because Apple claimed prior art means that Samsung cannot use its own design on a future device? The SGS 2 looks like an evolved F700. Another that confuses me is the SGS 2 in question was never sold in the US, the design was changed and each carrier except VZW all got a unique looking SGS 2.
  • Reply 57 of 79

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Spacepower View Post





    Samsung was waiting for the next version of Windows CE and developing the BlackJack 3 or 4.

    If Android had not come along, Samsung wouldn't have their current share of the smartphone market.

    Samsung didn't really innovate bc they had to use someone else's OS, they could not make a good one by themselves. It's like all the PC OEMSs running Windows.

    If Android wouldn't have come along, the market would be dominated by iOS, RIM, Symbian, and webOS.

    webOS is dead bc the market got flooded with many cheap android phones. Maybe things would be different if HP licensed webOS to all the OEMs that ended up building android phones?


     


    Even without Android, RIM and Symbian will never dominate the market. Just saying. :)


    without Android, iOS will be the undisputed king of Smartphones by now, and everyone will have to look at an iPhone if they want a smartphone.

  • Reply 58 of 79
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,979member
    spacepower wrote: »
    Samsung was waiting for the next version of Windows CE and developing the BlackJack 3 or 4.
    If Android had not come along, Samsung wouldn't have their current share of the smartphone market.
    Samsung didn't really innovate bc they had to use someone else's OS, they could not make a good one by themselves. It's like all the PC OEMSs running Windows.
    If Android wouldn't have come along, the market would be dominated by iOS, RIM, Symbian, and webOS.
    webOS is dead bc the market got flooded with many cheap android phones. Maybe things would be different if HP licensed webOS to all the OEMs that ended up building android phones?

    WebOS is dead because of the uninspired hardware they put it on.
  • Reply 59 of 79
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,979member
    Even without Android, RIM and Symbian will never dominate the market. Just saying. :)
    without Android, iOS will be the undisputed king of Smartphones by now, and everyone will have to look at an iPhone if they want a smartphone.

    I don't believe that, and is that really a world you would wanna live in? You guys are also forgetting Bada, Samsung has explored options other than Android.
  • Reply 60 of 79

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    I don't believe that, and is that really a world you would wanna live in? You guys are also forgetting Bada, Samsung has explored options other than Android.




    And is failing miserably, that is why they couldn't leave Android. Not to mention they molded BADA to imitate Android. BTW, if Apple proves Samsung copied Apple using Android, we may see trials against BADA next. lol


     


    Hey, if my features work well with the next guy, where all those advertisements about easy connections, happy people sharing easily, or phones working with each other seamlessly will only work in apple filled world then why not? I would definitely like that. Now if Android will be the defining factor in making that happen, why not as well?

Sign In or Register to comment.