How tough of a winter has it been?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My brother in Virginia says he got about 2 feet of snow. I know Washington and NY got hit bad too.

Here in Toronto, we got off easy with the lake effect and all, but it's been one of the most bitter cold winters in years.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    It's been a bitch. 25 inches today alone. Been shoveling all day.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Not THAT bad. I remember much worse. We've only had like 2 major storms all winter. But it's the first winter in a while of snow on the ground since November.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    People keep saying this is one of the coldest winters in years but I just don't feel it. Mebbe I'm finally becoming a real Canadian?

Seriously, yeah, there have been some biting cold days, but I think we're all just spoiled by last winter -- the one that never really came, +10 in Feb? Come on, that's practically tropical for us. And it hasn't really been windy this winer either. I just went for a nice walk outside, the sky's strangely lit, all the city lights hit the overcast sky and it looks bright for 11pm at night. Can't be more than minus 8 or so. Beautiful.

[ 02-17-2003: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 17
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    It's been a very mild winter here.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    It's been a strange winter here. Some days, it got over 60F, some days it barely gets over 10F. Two relatively major ice storms, and 4 days off of work... The first ice storm was actually pretty devastating down here. A lot of people went without power for several days. Some had to wait over a week. Stupid unprepared power companies...
  • Reply 6 of 17
    hahaha

I suppose it's the summer that makes 'dem 'der Texans antsy? Mebbe a mite trigger happy too? I'm probably thinking of Georgia, fuggive me suh, I bin readin' some de black folk writin's de past few days.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I like winter.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>

Seriously, yeah, there have been some biting cold days, but I think we're all just spoiled by last winter -- the one that never really came, +10 in Feb? Come on, that's practically tropical for us. And it hasn't really been windy this winer either. I just went for a nice walk outside, the sky's strangely lit, all the city lights hit the overcast sky and it looks bright for 11pm at night. Can't be more than minus 8 or so. Beautiful.

[ 02-17-2003: Message edited by: Matsu ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Perhaps, it might just have to do with me getting older and grumpier when the weather dips below freezing. Frankly, I don't mind minus 1 or 2 celcius, but when the wind chill brings the temps down to -25 or -30, that's cold!
  • Reply 9 of 17
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Hasn't been too bad IMO. For Chicago.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    I spent a winter in Ottawa, THAT was cold. -25 in the still air, deadly when the wind got going. Funny though, you wear more layers; you just kinda get used to it, then you brag to your buddies, "Cold? That's not cold, we aren't even talkin' winter 'till your snot flash freezes as you step out of a building"

The Sens still suck tho.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Hasn't snowed yet this year in Seattles although it has gotten down close to freezing a few times. Brrrrr. Twas sunny during the day with a little rain after dark, 50 as usual. Same old thang.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    The view from my window:

• Reply 13 of 17
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>I like winter.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Said the Texan!
  • Reply 14 of 17
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>It's been a very mild winter here.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You suck!

• Reply 15 of 17
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    It's been mild here for the second straight year. No snow days for my local high school this year or last-no one can remember it happening one year much less two.

It's been around zero at night most of this month, but that's no big deal-we all plug our cars in anyway!

:cool:

Jeff
  • Reply 16 of 17
    It's been really cold but not all that snowy.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    noseynosey Posts: 307member
    Pussies... I used to live in Manning Park BC at a Ski resort... 2 feet to 3 feet most evenings (and once 5 feet in a day) with it dropping to -20 for most nights... Didn't have a proper window in the living room so we had little snow drifts in the cabin...

Of course, once you started skiing you didn't notice... 8^)

Last year, while livign in Camrose, it was much worse... No snow to speak of, but damn cold weather. I had my computer set up in what was considerd the 'sunroom' in better months, but turned into the freezer during the winter.

Had to wear longjohns just to play on the computer... 8^(

And back in the 70's (has it been so long) we used to get gobs of snow in central Alberta (and no, I didn't have to walk a mile to go to school... uphill both ways 8^) ) One year in particular we had 12 foot drifts in the driveway, which made a great tunneling party for snowforts...

The last few years have been extremes in either direction, either too cold or too warm for the season. I can't remember a decent, proper white Christmas since living in Lac La Biche... cutting down Christmas trees on the farm and having scads of relations over for a feast in an eighty year old mansion...

This year... it started too late, and because of the snow, it will be a quick thaw with most of it going straight to the rivers instead of seeping into the soil where it belongs...

I miss the proper winters...

I have to go take my ovaltine now... the nurse says it's time for bed...

[ 02-18-2003: Message edited by: nosey ]</p>