Rumor: 'iPad mini' manufacture to hit 4M units per month in September ahead of October launch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38

I can see an 8GB iPad mini for $249 a 16GB @ $299 and a 32GB @ $399 to go head to head with Nexus and Windows RT.  With a rumored Oct. 26 release date for the Microsoft Surface RT tablet, and price points starting at $199, the iPad mini at $249 makes sense and is competitive.  Hopefully, Apple's confirms rumor and announces before Oct. 26. 

Regards,

RIP...

• Reply 22 of 38
    I have grave concerns for the post-Jobs Apple.

Jobs's passion and Apple's success has been largely a result of putting the user experience first and foremost. To this end, Jobs argued strongly that the 10" form factor was the right size and that anything less was a significant compromise for the user experience, a position with which I concur.

A 7" tablet could only work if it had a retina display with a similar DPI to the larger 10" iPad, but that seems extremely unlikely because it would introduce a third new resolution that would not be a simple factor of the iPad 2's resolution, making things extremely difficult for Apple and developers. The iPad 2's resolution would not be of retina quality even if it was compressed to a 7" display. I'm sure someone can do the DPI calculation but I can't right now (it's 3 AM!).

So a smaller tablet with an only marginally better DPI than the iPad 2 is a step backwards in terms of the end user experience. The new iPad has sold incredibly well despite a massive number imitators and smaller tablets trying to carve out their own niche.

Jobs hired Cook because of his business prowess and knowledge and it worked for Apple so long as Jobs was still overseeing Apple's direction and product releases. Now it seems that Cook is trying to make what appear to be good business decisions without an understanding of what really drives success for a company. We've seen a number of concerning turn of events since Jobs's passing that lead me to believe that Cook just doesn't get it. His Keynote performances make me think I'm watching a Microsoft presentation.

I miss Steve.
  • Reply 23 of 38

Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

…Jobs argued strongly that the 10" form factor was the right size and that anything less was a significant compromise for the user experience, a position with which I concur.

As do I, strongly, but it has also been said by Apple leadership themselves, in court, that Jobs was receptive to a 7" screen. Note that Steve Jobs is not CC'd on the e-mail in question, despite being alive at the time. Note that we know nothing further about this than that one e-mail.

A 7" tablet could only work if it had a retina display with a similar DPI to the larger 10" iPad, but that seems extremely unlikely because it would introduce a third new resolution that would not be a simple factor of the iPad 2's resolution, making things extremely difficult for Apple and developers. The iPad 2's resolution would not be of retina quality even if it was compressed to a 7" display. I'm sure someone can do the DPI calculation but I can't right now (it's 3 AM!).

I'm to understand that 1024x768 on a 7.85" screen is 'retina', or so they say. The PPI for that is 163.06.

So a smaller tablet with an only marginally better DPI than the iPad 2 is a step backwards in terms of the end user experience. The new iPad has sold incredibly well despite a massive number imitators and smaller tablets trying to carve out their own niche.

Once again, agreed completely. I fear, however, that Apple doesn't, despite them obviously knowing their iPad holds 95% of the market of tablets actually being used and that all 7" tablets and ALL other sizes of other tablets from ALL other manufacturers only have the remaining 5%.

Now it seems that Cook is trying to make what appear to be good business decisions without an understanding of what really drives success for a company.

I'm not sure about that. Cook is doing a pretty good job staying Steve's course. It's his hires that seem to be causing trouble, and it's his (so far slight) unwillingness to punch through potentially bad ideas put up by his other executives (like Cue) that might be a problem.

We've seen a number of concerning turn of events since Jobs's passing that lead me to believe that Cook just doesn't get it. His Keynote performances make me think I'm watching a Microsoft presentation.

He's not a presenter, he's a doer. I don't imagine he'll be highlighting many more keynotes. That's not his bag in the first place, and as right it shouldn't be. I was happy to see, though, that in his first keynote (iPhone 4S) he really gave off the feeling that he wanted the Mac's marketshare to greatly expand.

• Reply 24 of 38
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Once again, agreed completely. I fear, however, that Apple doesn't, despite them obviously knowing their iPad holds 95% of the market of tablets actually being used and that all 7" tablets and ALL other sizes of other tablets from ALL other manufacturers only have the remaining 5%.

That is, of course, a horribly distorted 'statistic'.

Apple has roughly 2/3 of the total tablet market by most measurements. While it is true that iPads tend to get more usage than other tablets, your assumption implies that they are not used at all - which is clearly false. It is more likely that almost all tablets ever sold have received at least a minimal amount of use (with iPads getting a great deal of use). So, Apple's share is about 2/3 of all tablets being used. iOW, the non-Apple market is about 1/2 of the iPad market - which is many millions of units per year. Since Apple's iPad Mini would be greatly superior to the competitive products in a number of respects, it is not unreasonable to expect Apple to get a significant portion of that. In fact, logically, if Apple has 80% of the 10% tablet market, it's not unreasonable to think they'd also get 80% of the 7" tablet market - which would bring them from 67% market share to 94% market share - a significant increase (I suspect however, that the actual number would be somewhat lower).

Again, I can't help but be amazed at how quick you are to discard any idea for a product that's not in the current Apple lineup.

I was happy to see, though, that in his first keynote (iPhone 4S) he really gave off the feeling that he wanted the Mac's marketshare to greatly expand.

I'm curious how you expect him to do that when you're so quick to dismiss any new product that anyone suggests.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm curious how you expect him to do that when you're so quick to dismiss any new product that anyone suggests.

I'm curious what this has to do with anything, particularly since it's a lie.

• Reply 26 of 38
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Agreed. Who can look at that mockup and think that's not a good idea?

$200- ill take 2. $299- ill take 1. $249- ill be confused. :-)

I also wouldn't be shocked to see something like a $229 or $269 tag.

I'm voting for $279. It's more than the Nexus -- Apple = premium image to keep up. $299 could certainly work but it may be too much to have people really feel like they are getting a deal... opps, Apple = premium so they could care less about a deal.

How about $279 (12% above Nexus)... $299 (20% above the Nexus). Either way, this will be a big winner... I'm still hoping for $279. Is my logic flawed?

• Reply 27 of 38
    strat09strat09 Posts: 158member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Priced identically to the Touch and now, we're told, plans to produce 4M units a month. This just gets curiouser and curiouser.

Obviously I have no inside info but it just doesn't add up. The rumours are making less and less sense, raising doubts about the very existence of the iPad Mini.

I strongly agree. Apple has been working hard on the Macbook Pro's/Airs and the iPhone, and Prior to that they were working on the iPad 3 and Apple TV, There is little chance of actually developing an iPad Mini considering Jony Ive and his team design everything from scratch, and then the hardware team design the components for the inside. It would take atleast 5 months to design an iPad Mini, and another 3 months for iOS to be built on it. I'm saying this because it took 7 months after the iPhone 4S to design the new iPad and Production was " were making this as fast as we're selling them" According to Tim Cook on a Quarter Report. What Apple would do is let iPad 3 Sales continue until next years update and upgrade their iPad to a better iPad... ( thinner glass, singlecell multitouch retina display, stronger battery, etc) And I've only heard of prototype devices of an iPod Touch 5,1 and the iPhone 5,1, 5,2 to add to my point. ( the one that circulated with glass and metal on the back ws 5,1, and a wider and longer iPhone was also made, but the screen was inoperable with one hand so they said to use the one with the 640x1136 display) Tim Cook also stated at AllThingsD that they only make the best products in the world... so I don't really think an iPad Mini will come out, even if the people think it is.... However I do see Apple reinventing the TV because people want them to.

In my view, Apple has only been working on the new iPhone since WWDC because that's what was at WDC, iOS 6. We should be thankful because Tim Cook has been making Apple work their ass off harder than Steve Jobs would of made them in this one year. It shows that Steve's DNA is truely in Apple and they will continue to bring out the best products.

• Reply 28 of 38
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    rogifan wrote: »
    If they could find a way to sell it with retina display for $299 and $399 I'd say game over for Nexus and Windows RT. if it doesn't have retina display it will need something else to lure people away from the $199 price point. Is iOS enough to do that?

Yes it is more than enough. I might add that app store is a huge feature here that continues to drive iPad sales and would also drive Mini sales.

As for retina screen, it doesn't have to be retina per say. The smaller screen will means higher pixel density even if it it isn't retina. The assumption being the same pixel count as iPad 2.

Look at it this way Touch is still a huge seller for Apple and it is nearly at the same price point as some of the 7" screens. It is all about being fit for a particular use.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I'm betting on it starting at $199 and the iPod Touch is toast. No sense upgrading the Touch to the new 18-pin connector.

I don't really see Apple having some products using the old dock connector and others using the new. I expect any remaining devices to be moved to the new connector as soon as upgrade cycles allow. That said, the one device we know isn't ever going to see an upgrade is the iPod classic. So I epxect the classic to be discontinued and the iPod touch to take it's place has the only high-capacity iPod. It will get either a price drop and/or capacity bump. But even with a price drop, look at the current ranges of iPod touch prices. There is no way an iPad mini would be $199 and encroach that far into the iPod touch price range.

Apple dropped the numerical designation on iPad models for a reason. They aren't going to be needed anymore because the low-end vs high-end iPads aren't going to be last year's model vs this years model anymore. They are going to be differentiated by two different sizes, just like the rest of Apple's computers. The iPad mini will replace the iPad 2.

• Reply 30 of 38

I tend to agree and that is why I think this September product release will be huge.    Expect not just a new iPhone and Mini iPad but a totally redone iPod lineup, new accessories and a bunch of other goodies.   Yes even iPod Classic will be deleted.

The big issue with Touch is the cost as it will need a substantial increase in flash storage to take the place of the classic.   This likely isn't a huge issue but pricing and positioning might be come a problem.

The only thing I'm not really sure about is the iPad 2, it is still very popular and a Mini iPad isn't a good replacement for it.   I could see iPad 2 staying around for a long time as a base full size iPad with the current iPad getting far more powerful each year.   Plus the longer iPad 2 stays in production the more pricing flexibility Apple has with it.   By the way I have this feeling that the original sized iPhone will stay around for a long time too, with Apple effectively marketing two phone form factors at the same time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I don't really see Apple having some products using the old dock connector and others using the new. I expect any remaining devices to be moved to the new connector as soon as upgrade cycles allow. That said, the one device we know isn't ever going to see an upgrade is the iPod classic. So I epxect the classic to be discontinued and the iPod touch to take it's place has the only high-capacity iPod. It will get either a price drop and/or capacity bump. But even with a price drop, look at the current ranges of iPod touch prices. There is no way an iPad mini would be $199 and encroach that far into the iPod touch price range.

Apple dropped the numerical designation on iPad models for a reason. They aren't going to be needed anymore because the low-end vs high-end iPads aren't going to be last year's model vs this years model anymore. They are going to be differentiated by two different sizes, just like the rest of Apple's computers. The iPad mini will replace the iPad 2.

• Reply 31 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Yes even iPod Classic will be deleted.

You believe it and I believe it and because we both still believe it and have for years, they'll keep it around for another year. Or three.

• Reply 32 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

$299 and $399, replacing the iPad 2 in the lineup.

It is getting confusing. The iPad 2 is the perfect education device. Inexpensive yet powerful and large enough screen to be well suited to mass purchase by school districts. The smaller form factor is not very well suited for education. An argument could be made that the iPad 3 will be the new education model once the iPad 4 comes out but the retina screen is still overkill for k-12 education price performance ratios.

• Reply 33 of 38
    You believe it and I believe it and because we both still believe it and have for years, they'll keep it around for another year. Or three.

Probably.
  • Reply 34 of 38

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Probably.

Killed the 17" MacBook Pro before the iPod classic…

That says something, I know it does. Just can't figure out what.

• Reply 35 of 38
    Killed the 17" MacBook Pro before the iPod classic…

That says something, I know it does. Just can't figure out what.

It says to me that the sales of the 17" where pathetic.

One issue with the iPod classic is that a lot of professionals still use it. While limited for some needs it has enough capacity to carry a lot of raw music around. So while it doesn't sell like Touch it does have a niche that nothing else from Apple fills right now.

It is funny because the Classic has been Semi dead for some time. It hasn't been updated in awhile and Apple ignored advances in miniature disk tech for the device so storage capacity has been stagnet. Classic has sort of become the truck of the music player industry.

Even with all of that I'd be shocked if Classic survives this fall. Double or triple Touches memory capacity and the reasons for the Classic drift away.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Err double post from a server glitch! [
  • Reply 37 of 38
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    It says to me that the sales of the 17" where pathetic.
    One issue with the iPod classic is that a lot of professionals still use it. While limited for some needs it has enough capacity to carry a lot of raw music around. So while it doesn't sell like Touch it does have a niche that nothing else from Apple fills right now.
    It is funny because the Classic has been Semi dead for some time. It hasn't been updated in awhile and Apple ignored advances in miniature disk tech for the device so storage capacity has been stagnet. Classic has sort of become the truck of the music player industry.
    Even with all of that I'd be shocked if Classic survives this fall. Double or triple Touches memory capacity and the reasons for the Classic drift away.

If they double or triple the memory of a Touch, there's no way they can sell it for anywhere near the price of a Classic ($249 for 160 GB).

I obviously can't guarantee how long they'll keep the Classic, but the Touch is a long way from replacing it for some users.
  • Reply 38 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Although details on Apple much-rumored smaller iPad are scarce, fresh rumors say supply volume of the device are estimated to reach four million units per month beginning in September, giving the company enough time to prepare for the lucrative holiday season.

According to inside sources from the sometimes-reliable DigiTimes, Apple's suppliers are gearing up for a manufacturing blitz expected to start in September which will ramp-up production to four million units per month.

The same sources say the tablet will launch in October with a screen resolution similar to that of the iPad 2.

Insiders have also reported that the supply chain has been producing small batches of the smaller iPad since June, with a monthly unit yield in the hundreds of thousands. It was reported in July that Apple manufacturing partner Foxconn was taking on "summer hires" in preparation of large orders for the tablet.

Speculation abounds as to what the device might look like, and mockups based on supposed parts leaks show the tablet could be as thin as the current iPod touch and may take on the small multimedia player's look with a thinner bezel in portrait orientation.

iPad mini Mockup

Mockup of alleged "iPad mini." | Source: iMore

The rumors are in line with previous analyst estimates that point to a debut sometime after the anticipated next-generation iPhone launches this fall. Apple is widely expected to unveil the handset at an as-yet-unannounced special event on Sept. 12.

Apple stores told to triple space for iPad's for Sept. 12th.

I presume iPad mini coming soon.