Rumor: Apple resellers dedicating more display space for iPad ahead of new model launch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmiku View Post

The article states they are being removed from the displays... Doesn't that say something about the company's focus?

And does Mac mini really sell so well? That is a surprise for me, it is quite expensive and you don't even get the keyboard and mouse for the price. I would rather chose iMac (basic model cost $1200; mac mini of similar hw specs cost $800!), if I needed a desktop computer...

I'm not sure how this holds over time, but i read an article (i believe in AI) that showed data that suggests the consumer market is NOT what is keep the Mac Mini alive but the corporate market.  They daisy chain a million of them for server farms and what-nots.  Like an XServe replacement.

Personally, in today's consumer market, an all-in-one computer should not cost $1200 min.  It should cost that as a Maximum.  The iMac is a darn fast but really...the desktop PC is slowly fading away in the consumer world.  They are absolutely necessary in the business world...depending on market type and I think Apple realizes that and has developed those platforms accordingly.

• Reply 22 of 26
    antkm1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how this holds over time, but i read an article (i believe in AI) that showed data that suggests the consumer market is NOT what is keep the Mac Mini alive but the corporate market.  They daisy chain a million of them for server farms and what-nots.  Like an XServe replacement.

Personally, in today's consumer market, an all-in-one computer should not cost $1200 min.  It should cost that as a Maximum.  The iMac is a darn fast but really...the desktop PC is slowly fading away in the consumer world.  They are absolutely necessary in the business world...depending on market type and I think Apple realizes that and has developed those platforms accordingly.

Not every consumer has removed the desktop from the mix. If you have a capable desktop coupled with a portable device like the IPad, it makes for a good combination. Having the power and storage capacity on the desktop frees up the portable device to be more convenient.

I'm sure that for some consumers the desktop is dead but don't assume that what applies to one consumer applies to all consumers. It's like the argument regarding physical media vs. digital downloads. Just because some have turned away from optical discs does not mean optical discs are doomed. They still sell lots of blu-rays. For one thing, a movie collection isn't very impressive looking, residing on a hard drive.

And as for the argument of all-in-ones vs. separates, if you already have a decent monitor like an Apple display of recent vintage, the Mac Mini makes sense. As well, the monitor is going to outlive the computer attached to it. Makes the ability to replace one before the other a good thing.

It makes sense for Apple to offer some variations rather than just one from factor that suits a single segment of the buying public.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Tim specifically said Apple was working on a MacPro update next year. Since it seems likely that a smaller iPad will be coming out this fall I can understand why they would make more display space for it.
  • Reply 24 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Christmas 2012... the year Apple iPads eat everyone else's lunch. 

No market from $159 on up will be safe from Apple's dominance. 

damn right! look at this

• Reply 25 of 26

Originally Posted by xmiku View Post

The article states they are being removed from the displays... Doesn't that say something about the company's focus?

The article is total crap. I can see the Mac Pro being removed (because they're not making all the right decisions these days), but not the Mac Mini.

• Reply 26 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I will only buy Apple electronics and software! If Apple doesn't make it, e.g., DSLR, I'll do without. Thank you, very much. :) 

This HAS to be some kind of parody of an actual Apple obsessive.