Apple cleared of infringing Motorola patents, avoids U.S. import ban

Comments

• Reply 21 of 111

Seems like, "Everything is coming up Milhouse!," for Apple. :-)

• Reply 22 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Dang… 

Haha! So true...

• Reply 23 of 111
    'Experts' usually know. So, I am not following you....
    I thought the easiest way to get two different opinions was to ask two experts.
  • Reply 24 of 111

I'm still shocked at the number of "Ughh! Apple is the worst company ever! They're stifling innovation!" responses I've heard re: this ruling. Apple didn't go after Samsung for stealing "the black rectangle". They went after them because Samsung was intentionally producing iPhone-clones.

Look at the image below and note the dozens of similarities between the two devices. Take out your contacts or slightly blur your vision and they look like the same damn device. If you're Joe Schmo walking into the AT&T store, and across the room you see these two hilariously similar phones on a wall, side-by-side, you might figure they're from the same manufacturer.

Samsung could've designed a phone a million different ways. They could have done a dual screen/courier type design. They could have made a phone with a massive screen and no bezel. They could have designed an interface with animated tiles or spinning menu cubes. They could've taken the Nokia route and made the thing neon pink with a white front. They could've given the thing a projected keyboard. In short, they could have shown some originality and inventiveness, and they didn't. They just copied the phone de jour because it was easy, fast and a guaranteed money-maker. So when people say "Apple is stifling innovation with these lawsuits" I say "No, they're inadvertently encouraging it."

Samsung has a history of copying what's popular. When Blackberrys were the dominant phone, Samsung made Blackberry clones. When everyone wanted a RAZR, Samsung made their own. And when the public went nuts for the iPhone, Samsung designed this:

• Reply 25 of 111
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    I'm still shocked at the number of "Ughh! Apple is the worst company ever! They're stifling innovation!" responses I've heard re: this ruling. Apple didn't go after Samsung for stealing "the black rectangle". They went after them because Samsung was intentionally producing iPhone-clones.]

Don't waste brainpower wondering. They're just a bunch of selfish, bratty litte kids whining that they can't copy the smart kid in class and get away with it. Bunch of punks supporting the belief that taking a free ride off of someone else's work is the way to go.

Today was an excellent day for the consumer, and even better to see fandroids get b!tch-slapped like the pathetic whiners they are.
  • Reply 26 of 111
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Don't waste brainpower wondering. They're just a bunch of selfish, bratty litte kids whining that they can't copy the smart kid in class and get away with it. Bunch of punks supporting the belief that taking a free ride off of someone else's work is the way to go.

Today was an excellent day for the consumer, and even better to see fandroids get b!tch-slapped like the pathetic whiners they are.

Couldn't have said it better myself. 

• Reply 27 of 111
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Deleted. Wrong thread.
  • Reply 28 of 111
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member

Ahhh... I love the smell of 12 Billion burning in the morning..

• Reply 29 of 111
    buzzzbuzzz Posts: 84member
    souliisoul wrote: »
    I am based in India were Samsung have used less than stellar tactics, to state that their products are better than Apple.
    I will go for lunch today's usual and sit near to Samsung shop and Manager usually comes out and try's to sell me a Galaxy Tab.
    I will have my iPad ready with news page open, showing the verdict...lol

LOL Nice to know Apple has a loyal following in India. :)
  • Reply 30 of 111
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I see a large black rectangle in Snow Leopard. I was wondering about that.

This:-

????????????????????????????

????????????????????????????

looks like this:-

• Reply 31 of 111

Apple have one rule and other companies have another. As usual Apple control the courts as has judges in there pockets. Apple can steal other people's ideas but because they are Apple they get away with it. At least Samsung and Motorola build things. As i type apple are using technology that does not belong to them. 

Apple outsourced all there manufacturing to sweat shops who throw workers off the roof of there building's for misbehaving.  

So great for Apple let them destroy the industry let them steal other people's ideas. And let the isheep think this ok becasue they have been brainwashed, conditioned , controlled by Apple

• Reply 32 of 111
    dsectdsect Posts: 25member

@Pgkavana--I think I understand what you're trying to say:  war is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength

• Reply 33 of 111

Nice a 1984 qoute. Yep apple are rewriting history. Look at how they stuffed Apple Corp the music company. They wrote a contract stateing they would not enter the music business. But guess what they did. Apple have been smart right from it begining's it has picked other companies of ideas and claimed them as there own. The LG phone, Xerox, even the Ipad in some form existed before it was the ipad cam out. But Apple rewrite history claming this to be it own. 

If you disaggree it will drag you to a court 10 miles away form it head quarters and fill the jury with people who have friends or family working in apple. Just as it did with samsung.  And they continue to do what apple do best not invent. It has not invented since the early days. But it will grap other people's ideas and put them in a nice apple package. And call it there own.

• Reply 34 of 111
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Look at the image below and note the dozens of similarities between the two devices.

I have a couple of issues with your "image"

1. Why is the iPhone on the home screen, and the Android phone on the app page?
    2. Why has the Samsung phone been resized?
    3. Why are you talking about Samsung in a Motorla thread?
  • Reply 35 of 111
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pgkavana View Post

Nice a 1984 qoute. Yep apple are rewriting history. Look at how they stuffed Apple Corp the music company. They wrote a contract stateing they would not enter the music business. But guess what they did. Apple have been smart right from it begining's it has picked other companies of ideas and claimed them as there own. The LG phone, Xerox, even the Ipad in some form existed before it was the ipad cam out. But Apple rewrite history claming this to be it own. 

If you disaggree it will drag you to a court 10 miles away form it head quarters and fill the jury with people who have friends or family working in apple. Just as it did with samsung.  And they continue to do what apple do best not invent. It has not invented since the early days. But it will grap other people's ideas and put them in a nice apple package. And call it there own.

May that continue. 

Whatever Apple did, the result was and is the best products in consumer tech, the best customer service in tech, the products with highest consumer satisfaction ratings year after year for all their products, and the redefining of entire markets almost overnight. Consumer response has been phenomenal. Apple is the only company in consumer tech to care enough about their product (and my satisfaction) to do a vertical business model, and take the time and energy to do it right.

For all of what Apple has produced, for the example they have time and again set for a lazy and unimaginative industry that can only follow them, and for the flowering of consumer tech that empowers *everyone* (not just folks who "know" computers), I say FAIR PLAY TO THEM.

This is what it takes to fix the technology we had, and to give us more of the tech we want. 

And Apple did all of it legally.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pgkavana View Post

The LG phone, Xerox, even the Ipad in some form existed before it was the ipad cam out. 

And it was all pure garbage. 

You're making excuses for entities that half-ass their opportunities and fail to re-invent their business. 

The courts have confirmed Apple's approach to consumer tech. Which should be *everyone's* approach. Imagine if everyone else out there was as lean, mean, and hungry as Apple. Just imagine how much further ahead we'd be. But instead the industry outside Cupertino is locked in a race to the bottom. And now they're paying dearly for it. They'll get no sympathy from me. Screw em. Now, maybe NOW, someone will come along and finally deal on Apple's level, thus raising the bar. Seems it takes the courts to confirm the standards Apple sets. So be it. 

• Reply 36 of 111
    unless I'm reading the claims wrong...how is Apple or pretty much any modern smartphone maker not infringing on Motorola's patent?
  • Reply 37 of 111

If you are happy with Apple stay with them. But around 90% of computer users don't use Apple. People who buy Apple are very loyal and will continue to buy apple no matter what. Even in the late eighties early nineties when Apple made sh###.  I have not used an apple product in 10 years I think since the first ipod.

Apple are very good at controlling people. That's what they do they lock people in. Stop them thinking. Apple in the the industry make a very narrow product range. They control this range very well. It is of excellent quality but if you break down there hardware is behind the curve. Slower processor's less memory, smaller HD's etc. But they tell there "followers" people you don't know better that this the best that they can get.

The iphone despite what you way is very similar to the LG phone. There was plenty of tablets before the Ipad some even had the same 'unique" shape.

Again you use the phase race to the bottom. These phones have larger better screens, faster processor's and work on a faster network. It seem's like a weird race to the bottom. Apple make great products but i like thinking for myself. 

When apple destoys companies with there neighbour judges that they help fund in local taxes. And a jury they that may employ. When they are the last ones standing see what happen's then.

• Reply 38 of 111

Because apple control the kangaroo court.... 

• Reply 39 of 111
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    pgkavana wrote: »
    If you are happy with Apple stay with them. But around 90% of computer users don't use Apple. People who buy Apple are very loyal and will continue to buy apple no matter what. Even in the late eighties early nineties when Apple made sh###.  I have not used an apple product in 10 years I think since the first ipod.

That is, of course, nonsense.

1. Apple didn't make garbage - ever. Even in the worst times, they made high quality computers. I used my IIsi from that era for well over a decade without any difficulty and Apple consistently won praise for their product quality. While there were certainly a few problems, Apple was widely recognized as making great computers. Put an Apple laptop or desktop from the 90's next to a Dell computer if you want a good laugh. To a large degree, Apple was the ONLY one focusing on quality.

2. The claim that Apple fans would continue to buy Apple no matter what is easily disproven. Apple's market share peaked in the 20+% range. It then fell to the low single digits (as low as around 3%, depending on how you measure it). It is now back to close to 10%. If Apple fans buy Apple's products no matter what, why did their market share change? Shouldn't it have remained constant?

It is clear from all of your posts that you're unwilling or unable to discuss anything rationally.
  • Reply 40 of 111
    unless I'm reading the claims wrong..

This is far from the first time that you're reading something wrongly.