Apple Stores reportedly continue to see cutbacks as focus shifts to revenue

Comments

• Reply 41 of 152
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Revenues over customer happiness? Unacceptable for Apple. Apple should not be following the formula set by the failing big box stores.

This guy has posted more than one article where he falsely tries to make it look like folks said one thing they didnt. The whole 'customer service be damned' attitude could be just this kind of stunt. Until we hear Browett say it, take such 'sources' with a freaking salt lick
  • Reply 42 of 152
    drblank wrote: »
    Yeah, but they need to constantly attract those customers and Customer Service is a BIG way to do so.  Keeping the employees happy and ensuring they keep the customers happy is what it's based on. Making great products is just one piece of the cog.  They need to make sure ALL pieces are there.

Oh I agree!

My point was... Apple Stores are doing incredibly well financially.

They already have great customer service AND great revenue.

So why do they need to make cutbacks to focus on revenue? It doesn't make sense.
  • Reply 43 of 152

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

It's typical for new Sales management to come in and do something to make an impact either in trying to increase sales, reduce costs, etc.  I've seen that many times before.

The other side is it is the end to the summer months and kids are going back to school instead of hanging around the stores, etc.  So, that might be the reasoning.

But, STILL customer service should always be the FIRST priority.  PERIOD.   Employee morale is secondary and THEN profits.

Happy Customers mean RETURN customers, means INCREASED sales.  Happy Employees mean more willing to do their job to take care of what needs to be taken care of.

It all feeds on one another.

The old rule is treat your employees like your best customers. Give Browett any more time and Forbes will be writing stores about the spiraling decline of Apple like they did for Best Buy.

Apple needs to realize. Apple sell products at premium prices to customers will to buy quality. The aurora of quality must pervade everything they do. 

The idea that Apple's sky-high margins is not good enough so they need to squeeze every penny from their store employees means simply that Apple has lost it. 

• Reply 44 of 152
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

If it is out of warranty it is out of warranty. You should have gotten Apple Care.

The same thing happened to me, with a swollen battery on my Macbook. It was fine for about three years, but then started to swell.

They didn't give me a free one either when I went into an Apple store, so I just bought a new one, it's not like I had much choice.

It wouldn't be a very good policy or good PR for Apple if they treat customers with the same problem differently, and help some, while denying others. If something is out of warranty, then tough luck. 

I know exactly how my battery swelled up by the way. I had a habit of sometimes taking hot baths in a steamy bathroom, while the macbook was there too. I think that had something to do with it. Now I bring my iPad instead and watch something on Netflix while taking a bath. I haven't noticed any iPad swelling yet.image

• Reply 45 of 152
    I just googled "jonathan ive money". Here are the top results:

Jonathan Ive: Apple's goal isn't to make money (Wired UK)
    www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/.../jonathan-ive-revenue-good-design
    30 Jul 2012 - Apple's goal is not to make money, but to make good products, said Jonathan Ive, senior vice president of industrial design at Apple, speaking at the British ...

Jonathan Ive: Apple doesn't care about money, iPhone almost axed ...
    www.digitaltrends.com/.../jonathan-ive-apple-iphone-ax... - United States
    1 Aug 2012 - Despite Apple being worth nearly $600 billion and the iPhone being a major part in that, the company's chief product designer Jonathan Ive says that the.

Jonathan Ive, Apple Design Chief, Says Company's Goal Not To ...
    www.huffingtonpost.com/.../jonathan-ive-apple-money_n_1723662....31 Jul 2012 - Apple may be worth $539 billion, but design chief Sir Jonathan Ive insists the company isn't in the tech business for the green. “Our goal isn't to make money.

Sir Jonathan Ive: Apple's focus has never been on making money ...
    www.metro.co.uk/.../906896-sir-jonathan-ive-apples-focus-has-never...31 Jul 2012 - Apple's design chief Sir Jonathan Ive who was behind the iPhone and iPad has claimed that the firm's guiding principle is to make 'great products'.

Apple not in it for the money, says Jonathan Ive | NDTV Gadgets
    gadgets.ndtv.com/.../apple-not-in-it-for-the-money-says-jonathan-ive...1 Aug 2012 - Apple not in it for the money, says Jonathan Ive: Apple's Senior Vice President of Industrial Design, and the design guru behind iPod, iPhone and many...
    Apple design chief: 'Our goal isn't to make money' - Telegraph
  • Reply 46 of 152
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I'm sorry, this report is WAY too fucking sensational and extreme to be believable. I'm starting to think someone is making this shit up in order to laugh at the reactions.

Quote:

Perhaps even more of a problem are alleged cuts to maintenance budgets, which could affect the trademark cleanliness of Apple Store floorspace and product displays. Also reportedly cut are select training areas and Red Zone displays, to be replaced by more "Etc." and accessory shelving.

I'm supposed to believe Apple, the richest company on the planet, and one more than anything is concerned/obsessed with image, detail, purity, etc. and has the nicest retail stores on the planet is making cuts to its damn MAINTENANCE budget, something that only a failing company on the brink of bankrupcy might do??! And even if Browett is behind such a ludicrous move, that it would be greenlit and approved by Cook and the rest? I'm sorry, this story sounds like horse-shit, its a bit too much to swallow. I don't believe for a second that Apple would cut  'maintenance' budgets for its store. For what, to compromise cleanliness and save pennies in an ocean of money? Bullshit. I also refuse to believe that Browett isn't fully aware of the importance of the retail experience to Apple's success, and that he hasn't had it drilled into his scull. 

But hey, feel free to continue the 'The downward slide has began' posts and pin this on Tim. Every sign shows that Tim has been doing an incredible job since he's taken over, and deeply undersatnds what makes Apple the company that it is. Everything from his thorough and transparent response to the labor critisisms, to the hardware launches (4S, iPad 3, Retina MBP, refreshes) to software launches (ML, etc), to his interviews/statements, to the big IP litigation win, have all been smooth and handles successfully.  I'll reserve judgement until this shit is actually confirmed instead of relying and potentially extremely exaggerated internet rumors and he said she said. 

• Reply 47 of 152

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markussd View Post

I think this is a good move by Apple as they will save loads of money in the end. Most sales are made online anyway, so its not a problem.

Actually, that's precisely why it is a problem. The stores are a marketing arm, not a sales machine. Browett and Cook don't seem to understand that. The marketing role of the stores is not well served, in fact it's actually damaged, by a hard-sell routine married to poor upkeep.

The point of the stores is to present people a friendly human face for Apple in the context of what can be described as an oasis or safe haven from the crummy retail world. By definition, the stores should not be hyper efficient. They should feel like a place where there is slack, where people are relaxed. If people start feeling badly in the stores, they will not return. They will (We will) buy online, but as a result become less connected to the brand. And that's a first step away from Apple that the company should fight hard to prevent. It seems to be bent on doing the opposite. Operations thinking is just not a good model for running all of the company.

Here it looks like we have two operations guys (Cook and Browett) drinking each other's koolaid. Unfortunately, it will take time for this to play out.

• Reply 48 of 152
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

If true, drop this brit like a cold stone.

• Reply 49 of 152

Quote:

But hey, feel free to continue the 'The downward slide has began' posts and pin this on Tim. Every sign shows that Tim has been doing an incredible job since he's taken over, and deeply undersatnds what makes Apple the company that it is. Everything from his thorough and transparent response to the labor critisisms, to the hardware launches (4S, iPad 3, Retina MBP, refreshes) to software launches (ML, etc), to his interviews/statements, to the big IP litigation win, have all been smooth and handles successfully.  I'll reserve judgement until this shit is actually confirmed instead of relying and potentially extremely exaggerated internet rumors and he said she said. 

But hey, feel free to credit Cook for having a heartbeat and knowing how to speak in English for the 4S, iPad3, and Retina MBP launches, since all of those were well in the pipeline when he became CEO.

There is not yet a single product or service Apple makes that was led by Tim Cook. He's good at squeezing suppliers. We get that. What else can he do?

• Reply 50 of 152

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex3917

I was in an Apple store today and they wouldn't give me a free replacement on my Macbook Pro battery, which was so swollen that the trackpad doesn't even work anymore. Yes, it's out of warranty,

Had the exact same problem which also bent my trackpad out of shape so it couldn't click anymore. I took it in thinking I saved Apple a bad news story where a Macbook Pro caught fire, and was told that it was a common problem and that there was no free replacement. It's the first time it's happened to me, and I've had more than 10 laptops over the years.

I have a 50/50 success rate with Apple doing the right thing since Mr Cook took over. Failed hard drive in Mac Mini (replaced under warranty), Macbook Pro 13" logic board died just before its second birthday ($600+ logic board replacement, no thanks), iPhone 4S cracked front glass (free replacement), bloating Macbook Pro battery (replaced at my cost), and iPhone 4 home button stuck (not even bothering to see if Apple will help). 

Before that, I've had 2 x Mac Pro power supplies fail out of warranty (replaced at my cost), three iMacs logic boards (replaced under failed component program), Nvidia graphics toasted on Macbook Pro 17" (replaced under failed component program), Nvidia chipset died in fully-specced iMac (out of warranty, written off) Cinema Display Power brick died (replaced at my cost).

That's a lot of failure from one company over a seven year period. Sure I could have got AppleCare, but that's many thousands of extra dollars across my Apple product collection. All of my current hardware has AppleCare now so I don't get burnt anymore. Win-win for Apple. 

I'm a little more concerned over the bean counting approach that the retail FNG is trying to implement. Sounds like he wants to impress by bringing in more cash which is a very anti-Apple approach to delivering the best products and experience (if not reliable hardware).

• Reply 51 of 152
    19841984 Posts: 955member

"While it is unclear how widespread the changes are, or if they even officially exist, sources claim there has been a definite emphasis on revenue since Browett took over for former retail head Ron Johnson in January."

• Reply 52 of 152

And I've worked retail (thankfully not anymore) and I know what all that "proactive hype" is about.  Basically cutting hours, less help for customers (which means more pissed off customers), hiring mentally inept employees (which piss customers off, just by being clueless) and skeleton crews throughout the day, leaving whats left of the capable employees to burn out.  Its a cheap way to money grab, while cooking the books to "look like there's more profit. 

The results being pissed customers, messy stores and employees that'd be considered the bottom of the barrel.  I've been through a retail structure of this firsthand and trust me. This is what all retail shops are doing, its the walmart protocol now. 

That being said, apples customer service kicks ass compared to any other business  I've dealt with, it'd suck if they go into this bullshit. 

• Reply 53 of 152
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A report on Monday outlines the supposed gradual but significant change Apple's retail stores are going through as Senior Vice President of Retail John Browett emphasizes revenue over customer experience.

While it is unclear how widespread the changes are, or if they even officially exist, sources claim there has been a definite emphasis on revenue since Browett took over for former retail head Ron Johnson in January.

No verification, no sources cited to backup the story yet AI prints the story anyway. Poor journalism!

• Reply 54 of 152
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I'm sorry, this report is WAY too fucking sensational and extreme to be believable. I'm starting to think someone is making this shit up in order to laugh at the reactions.

I'm supposed to believe Apple, the richest company on the planet, and one more than anything is concerned/obsessed with image, detail, purity, etc. and has the nicest retail stores on the planet is making cuts to its damn MAINTENANCE budget, something that only a failing company on the brink of bankrupcy might do??! And even if Browett is behind such a ludicrous move, that it would be greenlit and approved by Cook and the rest? I'm sorry, this story sounds like horse-shit, its a bit too much to swallow. I don't believe for a second that Apple would cut  'maintenance' budgets for its store. For what, to compromise cleanliness and save pennies in an ocean of money? Bullshit. I also refuse to believe that Browett isn't fully aware of the importance of the retail experience to Apple's success, and that he hasn't had it drilled into his scull. 

Fully agree! I think this is a total pile of BS surrounding a phony issue. Further, AI is doing a terrible job of "reporting" by relying on rumors.
  • Reply 55 of 152
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Actually, that's precisely why it is a problem. The stores are a marketing arm, not a sales machine. Browett and Cook don't seem to understand that. The marketing role of the stores is not well served, in fact it's actually damaged, by a hard-sell routine married to poor upkeep.

The point of the stores is to present people a friendly human face for Apple in the context of what can be described as an oasis or safe haven from the crummy retail world. By definition, the stores should not be hyper efficient. They should feel like a place where there is slack, where people are relaxed. If people start feeling badly in the stores, they will not return. They will (We will) buy online, but as a result become less connected to the brand. And that's a first step away from Apple that the company should fight hard to prevent. It seems to be bent on doing the opposite. Operations thinking is just not a good model for running all of the company.

Here it looks like we have two operations guys (Cook and Browett) drinking each other's koolaid. Unfortunately, it will take time for this to play out.

You are making the assumption that all of this is true, and in my own experience,
    I find that the Apple retail experience is just as fantastic as ever. There has been no decline in service, in fact speed of service has improved significantly. I am an expat living in China over the last three years and have had a great experience here. I was also just back in the US for a month and hadn't been back for two years and visited Apple stores in SF and Denver multiple times and had experiences just as good as ever, with friendly and helpful staff. Purchased an iPad, iPhone 4s, airport express, ATV, and many accessories, along with a genius bar visit to diagnose a couple kernel panic attacks on my MB Air. There has been absolute no decline in service IMHO. I think this whole thing rearing it's head again after Apple's last commentary on it is BS. It's time to back off and see what transpires over the next few months instead of so many jumping to conclusions on pure rumor.
  • Reply 56 of 152
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

But hey, feel free to credit Cook for having a heartbeat and knowing how to speak in English for the 4S, iPad3, and Retina MBP launches, since all of those were well in the pipeline when he became CEO.

There is not yet a single product or service Apple makes that was led by Tim Cook. He's good at squeezing suppliers. We get that. What else can he do?

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Well, he was running the company for at least two years before Jobs' death, so a lot of this new stuff was developed under his watch. And before that, Jobs certainly didn't run the show on his own.

I'm certainly concerned about what I'm hearing here, but I'll reserve judgement until I see real evidence and not just rumours from unknown sources.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 57 of 152

This is not correct (although we'd all like to think it is!).

The British company Richer Sounds has for over 20 years this store has been featured in the Guinness Book of Records for the highest sales per square foot of any retail outlet in the world (IIRC the Tower Bridge store was the most profitable).

Browetts ex-employer Dixons, was a ghastly operation, which has now closed many of it's high street stores (they were the butt of many many jokes!).

Entering an Apple store is the best advert for the product for those converting to the brand; I'm worried if Browett reverts to type; it'll end up as Dixons II (pile 'em high; but not sell cheap!).

Upselling an overpriced warranty was part of Dixons/Comet/Currys/PC World mantra - worrying to hear that another poster has had similar with Applecare - let the product sell itself.

My 2p.

• Reply 58 of 152

Apologies; this was in response to Apple ][ et al, above.

• Reply 59 of 152
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member

Apple staff used to be non-commissioned to avoid just this kind of thing, but maybe that's changed too.

• Reply 60 of 152
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex3917 View Post

I was in an Apple store today and they wouldn't give me a free replacement on my Macbook Pro battery, which was so swollen that the trackpad doesn't even work anymore. Yes, it's out of warranty, but it's also a massive fire hazard and has the risk of exploding. (It still holds a charge just fine, it just doesn't fit in the case anymore.) How long until there are more batteries bursting into flames on airplanes because Apple is too cheap to offer replacements. And this is after I already shelled out ~$80 to buy a new power cord within the last couple months because that too had become completely frayed and was also a fire hazard.

What's more, I tried to report the swelling issue on their 800 number since it's a serious safety hazard, and they wouldn't even file a report.

Me too.  I have a Macbook Unibody and the battery swelled when I took it to Saas Fee in January.  Luckily that model has the access hatch so that bulges a bit now instead of the force being channeled upward.  However, I don't expect Apple should replace it free given its age.

Just as an aside.  Apple are up to deceptive practices her in Ireland regarding Applecare.  You would have thought they had learned their lesson after getting fined in Italy for the same sort of thing.  Apple states that they give you a 1 year limited warranty so you really should buy Applecare which gives you 3 years coverage.  Dig deeper and they grudgingly admit that you have a 2 year warranty under EU law, which means they are selling Applecare to people, giving them the impression they are purchasing two extra years of cover when in fact it is only one.  I know caveat emptor and all that, but Apple is quite profitable enough without trying to make  further profit by intentionally trying to mislead people.

Quote:

Your MacBook Pro comes with 90 days of free telephone support and a one-year limited warranty. Purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan to extend your service and support to three years from your computer’s purchase date.

http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro/select

I expect this sort of deceptive practice from lesser companies.