FBI refutes claims of hacked agency laptop, Apple UDID database

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, yeah. I'm certainly giving any portion of my UDID to that text field… image

If they didn't get it before, they'll get it now!

How will you ever find out? image

• Reply 42 of 67
    inkling wrote: »
    The most likely scenario is that the NSA had that data, perhaps with Apple's assistance, .

No, the most likely is that they themselves setup a honeypot app, or batch of apps and harvested the info themselves. Remember up until like a year ago devos could use the UDID in their apps.

As for the FBI part, that could be a flat out lie
  • Reply 43 of 67
    This was tweeted by the FBI Press Office.

[QUOTE]Statement soon on reports that one of our laptops with personal info was hacked. We never had info in question. Bottom Line: TOTALLY FALSE[/QUOTE]

That was before that no evidence statement. Also the following tweet was from Antisec. So the ultimate source for the list is likely an app.

[QUOTE]People whose UDID was on the list released by AntiSec might want to compare their installed apps. A common culprit might be found.[/QUOTE]

Comprimising your personal data? There is an app for that!

http://allthingsd.com/20120904/fbi-says-antisec-hackers-lied-about-list-of-iphone-id-numbers/
  • Reply 44 of 67

I don't get why everyone hates Anonymous, they're HELPING us keep the government in their place. the government shouldn't be allowed to spy on it's citizens period.

• Reply 45 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

I don't get why everyone hates Anonymous, they're HELPING us keep the government in their place. the government shouldn't be allowed to spy on it's citizens period.

Who will watch the watchers?

• Reply 46 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

This was tweeted by the FBI Press Office.

That was before that no evidence statement. Also the following tweet was from Antisec. So the ultimate source for the list is likely an app.

Comprimising your personal data? There is an app for that!

http://allthingsd.com/20120904/fbi-says-antisec-hackers-lied-about-list-of-iphone-id-numbers/

Or the Government paid off the staff to write that article to cover their asses.

• Reply 47 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Who will watch the watchers?

Thank God we have Anonymous.

• Reply 48 of 67
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Even if the FBI had, for whatever reason, acquired those data, they would have been treated as sensitive information and would not have been put on a laptop. That story doesn't make much sense. On the other hand, if they were acquired by AntiSec by some other means, what a great opportunity to spread FUD by claiming they got them from the FBI.

• Reply 49 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Even if the FBI had, for whatever reason, acquired those data, they would have been treated as sensitive information and would not have been put on a laptop. That story doesn't make much sense. On the other hand, if they were acquired by AntiSec by some other means, what a great opportunity to spread FUD by claiming they got them from the FBI.

Becuase the FBI gives a shit about protecting the data they're stealing to begin with. -_-

• Reply 50 of 67

Quote:

Quote:

Becuase the FBI gives a shit about protecting the data they're stealing to begin with. -_-

To protect a program - yes, of course they would. You really have no idea how this stuff works, do you?

• Reply 51 of 67

Quote:

To protect a program - yes, of course they would. You really have no idea how this stuff works, do you?

Herp derp, I have no idea about anything. I just spew random bullshit all day.

• Reply 52 of 67

Quote:

Quote:

Oh - in that case you're doing just fine.

• Reply 53 of 67
    Thank God we have Anonymous.
    Like Suddenly Newton asked,"Who will watch the watchers?" Who watches Anonymous? just because you don't trust the government, doesn't mean that you can trust an entity of unknown quality. Sure it would be nice to believe, but there is so much disagreement everywhere - this forum is a good example - what makes you think their stated policies are in agreement with your beliefs? What makes you think everyone in that group will not stray from the stated policies? If you think the government is dangerous, just think how dangerous a unrestrained stranger can be. I understand your frustration, but how can you put your trust in an unknown? The fact that you have a common enemy doesn't make them your friend - think FDR, Stalin, and Hitler if you doubt this.
  • Reply 54 of 67

Wow! Holy cow! Please do some reading...

You may want to start with the 'Patriot Act'. The USA PATRIOT Act bill was passed on October 26, 2001. It stands for uniting and stregnthining america by providing appropriate tools required to intercept and obstruct terrorism. It's actually an acronym.

It gives the government the right to do what they need/want with any of us.

Due to the fact that they included domestic terrorism meant that it was basically an amendment to the Bill of Rights stating that they do not work for you anymore if the government so chooses.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you, but you're more than fashionably late to the party. I was still being schooled when 9/11 happened and the 'think tank' even then knew what it was for.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Hit a nerve I suppose...
  • Reply 55 of 67

I read this after I made my last post. My fault totally. I have gotten so used to learning here that I forgot the other 99%.

Edit: I'm sorry for the insult, but I'm not taking it down. You're response just epitomized the look I get from guys my age when I try to have a conversation with them.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    muppetry wrote: »

I agree, but you might be getting the F.B.I. confused with other, more clandestine agencies.
  • Reply 57 of 67
    Double post. I'm using an iPad.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    Dunno if it is funny or scary to have rationally more trust in a bunch of anonymous activist hackers than the 'organized crime does not exist' FBI with its long documented history of deception... This 'there is no proof' defense is really worthy of contempt and is hardly satisfactory...
  • Reply 59 of 67
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    vadania wrote: »
    Supposedly from a stolen laptop computer. That seems pretty simple and not really what i would consider to be a hack. The more profound question is how did the F.B.I. Get the information? Google? Facebook?

Either one is possible. They both have popular apps and a tendency to hand information over to the government.

http://articles.marketwatch.com/2011-06-27/industries/30790618_1_user-data-google-online-video-service
    http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/how_us_government_spies_use_facebook.php
  • Reply 60 of 67

Random theory:

The reason the FBI had this list is that they're investigating an ad agency/network that has been tracking this information. Or someone has been trying to sell this list?

Not that I'm trying to defend the FBI, I just think something doesn't add up.  A massive csv list just doesn't seem to make sense... if they were using it internally, would it not be in some sort of database to make it more searchable and editable?   A csv sounds more like a crude dump of data.

Also like people mentioned, wouldn't the FBI be interested in IMEI numbers too?