Apple may ditch Audience noise suppression tech in next-gen iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jenmlx wrote: »
    Apple probably found a way to create it's own version of noise cancelling technology, and patent it on terms so general that they'll soon be able to sue every maker of communications devices from internet switches to radio technology used by NASA. Go Apple! Sue the world!

Next is God for making a fruit the same shape as their insignia and naming it Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 29

Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

Apple's NOT doing away with Siri, so what could have caused this? do they simply not need it anymore?

They've either found better hardware for the same technology or it's as another user mentioned earlier; Audience is integrated into the A5 series and Apple isn't using an A5 in the next iPhone.

• Reply 23 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They've either found better hardware for the same technology or it's as another user mentioned earlier; Audience is integrated into the A5 series and Apple isn't using an A5 in the next iPhone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post

I see this as confirmation that the iPhone 5 will use the A6 processor. Since Audience technology is integrated into the A5 and something must now replace it, that something most-likely would be incorporated into the A6. The question remains as to why Apple made this decision, and if this decision results in a downgrade, upgrade, or status quo of current A5 integrated Audience technology...

He says that there is an Audience IP block in the next iPhone, but it will not be enabled.

If there's a new processor, why would they include the Audience IP block if they had no intention of using it?

• Reply 24 of 29
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenmlx View Post

Apple probably found a way to create it's own version of noise cancelling technology, and patent it on terms so general that they'll soon be able to sue every maker of communications devices from internet switches to radio technology used by NASA. Go Apple! Sue the world!

I find it unfortunate that people accuse Apple of obtaining overly broad patents or going sue crazy.  What patents are overly broad and since when was Apple out suing the world?  Anyone who looked into the Samsung litigation would come to the same conclusion the Jury did, which was Samsung unabashedly copied Apple's products knowing that they had design patents covering it.  

Design patents are actually pretty weak protection because it is pretty easy to "design around".  All they needed to do was pick a different design.  They didn't.  Instead they did everything they could to make their devices look exactly the same. I don't blame them.  Apple had a head start and the only way to catch up was copy.  It worked out pretty well.  Samsung is the market leader for number of devices sold.  From a business standpoint, copying was the right thing to do.  They beat Motorola, RIM, Palm, and Nokia and it only cost them a billion dollars.  Pretty sweat deal if you ask me.  A billion dollars is chump change in this market.

• Reply 25 of 29

Quote:

Probably because they're already doing it with a phone that has the same hardware and a phone that has even worse hardware. The latter of which is older than the first iPad. That's probably why.

The iPhone 4 doesn't have exactly the same hardware as the 1st generation iPad. They both have the Apple A4 SoC but the iPhone 4 has twice the memory at 512MB. As for the 3Gs, it's specs might be limited but its lower screen resolution explains why it's capable of keeping decent performance while adding software features to it.

I'm afraid the 1st generation iPad is not perfectly smooth when running iOS5 as it is.

• Reply 26 of 29
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Originally Posted by RFHJr View Post

Would you want Apple to dummy down iOS6 just so it would be compatible with 1st gen iPad?  This is too limiting, and ignores the competitive pressures from Android, Amazon, Microsoft et al.

Best that Apple focuses on making the very best software that utilizes state of the art processors.  Not to despair about your 1st gen iPad, though, it will give many more years of faithful service.

Agreed! Anyone with older iOS devices can take comfort in the fact that they had the newest OS on release day, and at least one major OS update afterwards, as soon as it was available. I doubt any of us would be satisfied with the Android method: brand new phones shipping with antiquated OS versions, with support and updates (if any) completely stopping in 6-12 months, to make room for the next thousand handset variations.

• Reply 27 of 29

Originally Posted by davidgoscinny View Post

The iPhone 4 doesn't have exactly the same hardware as the 1st generation iPad. They both have the Apple A4 SoC but the iPhone 4 has twice the memory at 512MB. 

Does it? Huh. Thanks for the correction.

As for the 3Gs, it's specs might be limited but its lower screen resolution explains why it's capable of keeping decent performance while adding software features to it.

The 3GS still has 256 and a worse processor.

I'm afraid the 1st generation iPad is not perfectly smooth when running iOS5 as it is.

Been spectacular for me. 

• Reply 28 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Platanas View Post

Apple is pissed off because Audience delivered its IP for the "Xiaomi Mi2" Android phone, which is also not to far from an iPhone rip-off. 

If true, I doubt this has anything to do with being "pissed off", and everything to do with trying to contain costs.  If you can build your own tech and not have to license someone else's, then you can save a few bucks per phone.   This is probably like Apple's move away from Google maps on iOS6.   Apple has to pay Google every time somebody references a Google map.  Again, if you can substitute your own tech, you can save a dime.

• Reply 29 of 29

Regarding earlier Planned Obsolescence comments on iOS6 Compatibility, I was reminded of this: 

Around February 2012, I've was able to used iCloud in Safari on my old Powerbook G4, 1.67, 10.4.11, 2GB Ram… Officially it was not supported, and then I saw why! It's because it was like watching a video at 4x or 8x SLOWER!!! The only reason I did it was because my MacBook Pro 17' was sent out for repair, and I chose iCloud on that old PB as a lesser evil vs. typing on my iPhone 4S, while I was on my home Wi-Fi… So… I totally agree with Apple in that case…, that 4 or 8 Times SLOWER would be an embarrassment due to outdated, less powerful hardware!!!! 

All companies do Planned Obsolescence, so it's just a matter of a how soon… Then come hand-me-downs to kids, or friends who are not as tech savvy, donations etc… It'd be great if there was an easier way to Donate, Recycle our hardware, or at least Apple Hardware, and maybe receive some $$$ credit for it! I'd love to know that my old Mac gear was disposed of properly, or donated to the really needy!!! 

So..., yes, all of our hardware is eventually outdated for some, but not all task, and we eventually have to upgrade, if we need the latest and the greatest!