Apple enhancing iCloud with new web apps, Lost Mode for iOS 6

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39

Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

…why not allow Windows users to talk to all their friends with iOS devices?.

Because buy a Mac to supplement their iOS device. Apple never made an iChat for Windows, despite that being a rumor since about 2004 when it was launched. I don't see them doing iMessage.

• Reply 22 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I want a feature in the iOS 6 Maps app running on an iPad/Touch/iPhone where I can track (with the trackee's permission) an iDevice...

Friends/relatives are driving in from out of state and I wan't track their progress with a live map and notifications.  This would be useful in case of delays, hazards, accidents... or you could suggest the take a scenic detour...

This was introduced in iOS 5 and is available from the App store now.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/find-my-friends.html

I have tried  that app on several occasions (including just now) and it doesn't work.

It tells me that my appleid is not verified & go to a site...

I go to the site and logon with the same applied/password & it tells me that it is my appleid and primary email address...

I try to add the same appleid so it can verify it -- but it won't accept it as it is already there..

This is an old @mac.com applied with @me.com and @icloud.com aliases...

• Reply 23 of 39
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Lost mode. Stolen mode. Bullshit mode. Orbital mode.

Whatever.

How about two seconds to turn off mode and voila. Gone.

Make it impossible to turn off and "modes" will mean something.

How out of touch with the robbery situations is everyone at apple/carriers they think a lost mode works for shit?

Pfft.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Add two features to iCloud and I will switch from gmail like, yesterday.

1. Server-side threaded messaging. Why does my iPhone and Mac have threaded messaging, but I go to icloud.com and my messages are all over the place?

2. The ability to have non-icloud aliases, just like every other major email service, even the retired MobileMe.

Make those relatively easy things happen, Apple, and I'll completely switch over.

(Oh, and wishful thinking, but the ability to merge my old iTunes account with my previous MobileMe account I opened when MobileMe was released, but that's not relevant to this thread.)
  • Reply 25 of 39

Will iOS ever allow addressing emails to one's groups like on the desktop Mail client?  Why, in 5 years, has this not been implemented when the Contacts app has all one's groups listed? I don't want a cheesy workaround app or jury-rigging a contact that has my entire group's email addresses.

• Reply 26 of 39
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Lost mode is fine but what we really need is a "stolen mode". Currently all a thief has to do is power down the iPhone and it will dissapear off the grid.

If the iPhone required a password to shutdown then the iphone would still be locatable until the thief either took it outside of mobile range or dissassembled it, and physically disconnected the battery, both of which are relatively inconvenient and affect the resale value of the phone.

Once you determine that a device is stolen you could remotely trigger a hibernation mode that powers down the display and other unnecessary features to extend as much battery life for location/tracking purposes as possible.
  • Reply 27 of 39

I hear ya.  So many of my songs have been uploaded instead of matched - and I can't see the reason why.  They are not obscure or anything!

• Reply 28 of 39

Apple should also make iCloud web compatible with other broswer. it make problem with my Chrome

• Reply 29 of 39

Unclear on the disconnect between Reminders and the Calendar - if I've got a time-specific reminder (say, "Call mom on Friday about her Thanksgiving trip"), I'd rather have it appear on the Calendar than a separate app that I have to check.

I also hope they've made it easier to *delete* old reminders - if I can side-swipe-delete emails and texts, why can't I do the same with old reminders?!

• Reply 30 of 39

Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

How out of touch with the robbery situations is everyone at apple/carriers they think a lost mode works for shit?

Given that we hear stories all the time about how devices get recovered, I think someone else is out of touch.

• Reply 31 of 39
    Given that we hear stories all the time about how devices get recovered, I think someone else is out of touch.

It's definitely you. Recoveries aren't as common as your probable anecdotal little examples have led you to believe. You've never heard of Apple picking? Even if your phone is recovered, which again isn't the common scenario, you still got violently robbed.

You must live in a nice place with marshmallow clouds and unicorns riding on rainbows.

If recoveries were so high, why do carriers need to to put together a database to deter smartphone crime? If they were more often recovered it wouldn't be necessary. Why do all metropolitan cities across the globe report large increases in smartphone robberies year to year? Again, a high recovery rate would infer a decrease, right? There also wouldn't be a thriving black market for stolen phones as well, right?

It's certainly not I that is out of touch ;) but I'm happy you believe so. Ignorance is bliss as they say.

Dunks is spot on with his suggestions above, and until apple and the carriers are serious about about it I'll consider them out of touch on the problem because a lost mode is silly when every criminal in the world knows to turn it off right after they rob it from you.
  • Reply 32 of 39

It's definitely you. Recoveries aren't as common as your probable anecdotal little examples have led you to believe. You've never heard of Apple picking? Even if your phone is recovered, which again isn't the common scenario, you still got violently robbed.

So the iPhone should come with a 100,000v taser to prevent thefts? Or are you honestly suggesting that requires a password to shut the phone off would prevent the theft in the first place?

If recoveries were so high, why do carriers need to to put together a database to deter smartphone crime?

Because not all phones are iPhones, probably. Also thieves have historically not ever been the smartest apples in the bushel. 

• Reply 33 of 39
    So the iPhone should come with a 100,000v taser to prevent thefts? Or are you honestly suggesting that requires a password to shut the phone off would prevent the theft in the first place?

Because not all phones are iPhones, probably. Also thieves have historically not ever been the smartest apples in the bushel. 

I never said the phone should be a weapon. I did say the user Dunks (see post above above) is spot on... For starters.

Yes. I know all phones aren't iPhones. So?

It's about deterring theft. If an iPhone was impossible to turn off and allowed the thief to be tracked it would be a hell of a deterrent than the way it is now. As it is now, a thief just has to turn it off, wipe it, jailbreak it and then sell it. After he robs you, in some cases violently, of course.

Easy peasy. Lost mode is worthless.

But back to the ridiculous taser idea... Concealed carry is a lot better :D
  • Reply 34 of 39

It's about deterring theft. If an iPhone was impossible to turn off and allowed the thief to be tracked it would be a hell of a deterrent than the way it is now.

And just as many people would know about it then as do Find My iPhone now. Absolutely nothing would change.

• Reply 35 of 39

And just as many people would know about it then as do Find My iPhone now. Absolutely nothing would change.

It seems you are out of touch on the concept. Shrug. I'd explain it quite simply for you, but why waste the time, right?
  • Reply 36 of 39

It seems you are out of touch on the concept. Shrug. I'd explain it quite simply for you, but why waste the time, right?

Right. Why bother making sense when you can just change your argument halfway through?

• Reply 37 of 39
    Right. Why bother making sense when you can just change your argument halfway through?

WTH are you talking about?

I think I get it, you just want to bait me into some ad hominem comment so you can power trip on me, because you certainly aren't having a conversation with me.

I didn't change anything, btw.maybe someone here can help you out a bit?

I thought moderators were held to a higher standard here?
  • Reply 38 of 39

WTH are you talking about?

I think I get it, you just want to bait me into some ad hominem comment so you can power trip on me, because you certainly aren't having a conversation with me.

You're ignoring the original point you made. If I've misunderstood something along the way, feel free to correct me.

The way I saw it, you claimed that the ability to password protect shutdown would prevent thefts. That's nonsense. If not because it wouldn't stop thieves from wiping the phone, then because the same number of people would know about that capability as do Find My iPhone and other recovery softwares in the first place.

Instead of providing further evidence that I'm wrong there, you chose to pretend that it "wasn't worth it" to explain it. Which certainly works just as well if there's no explanation as if there is one.

• Reply 39 of 39
    You're ignoring the original point you made. If I've misunderstood something along the way, feel free to correct me.

The way I saw it, you claimed that the ability to password protect shutdown would prevent thefts. That's nonsense. If not because it wouldn't stop thieves from wiping the phone, then because the same number of people would know about that capability as do Find My iPhone and other recovery softwares in the first place.

Instead of providing further evidence that I'm wrong there, you chose to pretend that it "wasn't worth it" to explain it. Which certainly works just as well if there's no explanation as if there is one.

Anyone can plainly see what's up here.

I'll just wait to see if someone else cares to comment.

Take care!