Street view good or bad??

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

I know all about the on going fight between Apple and Google.,, also know that Apple will be offering new aps for youtube ( with ads), and a new type of 

open source street maps.. but need to know what about the photos that go currently along with google streets??? .., it's all nice to see in artist form the streets but what about the surrounding views? anyone know???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Todd View Post

I know all about the on going fight between Apple and Google.,, also know that Apple will be offering new aps for youtube ( with ads), and a new type of 

open source street maps.. but need to know what about the photos that go currently along with google streets??? .., it's all nice to see in artist form the streets but what about the surrounding views? anyone know???

I'm either misinterpreting what you're saying or you've recieved bad information.

As of iOS 6, Apple will no longer be including (1) a Youtube app, and (2) will no longer be utilizing Google Maps. 

(1) regarding the Youtube app, Google has created a youtube app for the iPhone that was just recently released. It is essentially the same as what Android already uses, except (I believe) there are additional advertisements on board. 

(2) Google maps will be dropped in favor of a new Google-less map application that comes included with iOS 6. Since Streetview is a component of the Google ecosystem, something that Apple is trying to remove itself from, it is highly unlikely that Streetview will make an appearance in the new Apple maps. However, I would wager a guess that Google will release an app that will allow similar functionality to google maps on iPhone thus far.

• Reply 2 of 8

you answered my question in #2 ...  but even you say you're not sure ....

• Reply 3 of 8

Quote:

you answered my question in #2 ...  but even you say you're not sure ....

I say i'm not sure because even the android Youtube has advertisements in the same form as the browser-based Youtube. I'm not sure if the iOS Youtube app has even more advertisements beyond this.

Also, i'm not exactly sure what your question is.

• Reply 4 of 8

sorry about that.. I was trying to say:  the current Google street view will 'go down'  to street level and show you with actual photos what the street looked like when the photos were taken with that ''8 lens''  rooftop camera ..

Will apple be able to use this same  technique?   as I'm sure that Apple is not going to send out a squadron of vehicles around the world  to retake the same street view photos ..

or will there be an ap that you can install on your apple phone to regain that territory ?
  • Reply 5 of 8

Will apple be able to use this same  technique?

Yes. It already does.

• Reply 6 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes. It already does.

It does?

Are you sure? Last I read, Apple was not implementing this feature by licensing Google's materials. Is Apple setting up its own streetview-style database?

Source?

• Reply 7 of 8

Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post

It does?

Not Street View and not every square inch of every road on the planet, but they've sourced street-level photographs for buildings, businesses, etc, haven't they? Can't remember the name of the system they use.

• Reply 8 of 8

good