Holiday iPhone sales projected to reach 46.5M as pundits 'underestimate' Apple

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,505member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'd think by now we should be able to get a fairly accurate equation to figure out sales based on historical data. If they really did double their first 24 hour pre-orders does that equate to doubling their quarterly sales?
    Any math people want to take a swing at it?

    Sorry not answering your question as such but I'd think there are too many unknowns to even try to work this out with math. For example the number of those with 3Gs now finally convincing themselves this time they'll upgrade or all those not able to get iOS 6 and so on. One thing I do know is I see more and more iPhones everywhere I go.

    I really had to keep a straight face when the receptionist at my hair dresser's last week, a glamorous young blonde, had a new one she proudly fiddled with and explained she'd switched from Android after seeing the video on YouTube showing the holographic keyboard iPhones had but she hadn't yet figured out how to get that to work. I am not kidding! ()
  • Reply 22 of 47

    Those damn tech-pundits are idiots.  They wouldn't know what consumers want in terms of electronics devices if Sky Daddy sent a message directly into their pointy, tech-filled heads.  I hope Apple knocks iPhone 5 numbers out of the park.  The whole problem is that even if Apple proves these idiots wrong, they'll still insist that the iPhone is not worthy of their standards.  I'm so glad that Apple sells to the average consumer looking for a decent product with decent customer service and they're not swayed by know-it-all tech jackasses' opinions.


     


    I don't know what these tech geniuses are expecting in the way of a new iPhone.  Do they want something they can fold up in their hands to the size of a matchbook and has a week-long battery life while talking over LTE?  Don't they realize there are practical limitations when building real products that real people use.  That their devices can't be some super-expensive prototypes.  If it was that easy, every company would be selling hundreds of millions of devices.  Every time some new Apple product comes out, these tech-pundits are calling it disappointing.  I wonder if any one of them has ever designed a product to sell to the mass market.
  • Reply 23 of 47

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post





    Sorry not answering your question as such but I'd think there are too many unknowns to even try to work this out with math. For example the number of those with 3Gs now finally convincing themselves this time they'll upgrade or all those not able to get iOS 6 and so on. One thing I do know is I see more and more iPhones everywhere I go.

    I really had to keep a straight face when the receptionist at my hair dresser's last week, a glamorous young blonde, had a new one she proudly fiddled with and explained she'd switched from Android after seeing the video on YouTube showing the holographic keyboard iPhones had but she hadn't yet figured out how to get that to work. I am not kidding!


    Not that's funny! Just as scary, I've met others expecting the same.

  • Reply 24 of 47


    Pundits expect Apple to reinvent the wheel every year yet pundits also expect the same crap from Sammy, et al.. That is impossible to do. Besides, why change for the sake of change. The iphone 4/4S are pretty beautiful and have functional designs. They were the #1 phones during their initial release years. Apple improves upon them.

     

  • Reply 25 of 47
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,362member
    Sow hen Apple sells a "disappointing" 46 million, and "misses" projections, hitch does not match up this number pulled from someone's ass, are we gonna have a bunch of stories about how apple is doomed and did not perform as expected?

    It's like their 3rd quarter this yr, it was the best in their history (by far) yet was spun as "Apple is doomed". Meanwhile, almost every single other tech company is bleeding money.
  • Reply 26 of 47

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bill42 View Post



    The analysts pretty much get it wrong every time. Lets see. The iPod will never sell for the premium price over other MP3s. The iPhone will never make it in an established phone market of Nokia and Motorola phones. The iPad is just a big iPhone and it will never sell because it doesn't have a full OS like PC tablets. The iMac looks like a toy and doesn't ahve a floppy so it won't change the world of computers forever. The Macbook Air is too expensive and has no optical drive. Then look at every revision of each product and the analysts always say there are minor revisions and these things are boring and they won't sell.

    I can't think of a single time when the early tech analysts have been right about a single apple product.

    Except when they said the Cube wouldn't sell. It was actually really cool and revolutionary but there was not a big market for it.


     


     


    Good summary, very true !

  • Reply 27 of 47
    It's sad that tech pundits are confusing innovation with external design. Their motto: If it does not look different, it must not have improved. This is not surprising given that most pundits are not engineers or scientists. Still, you'd think they can appreciate the remarkable A6 (two cores beating or neck-n-neck in performance with quad core chips!), the thin display and remarkable engineering gone into accommodating a 8MP camera in a 7.6 mm thick package.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    The reason people were underwhelmed is not the spec, but the lack of a brave new industrial design to get people pumped up and of course, move beyond the 1980s Sony design aesthetic of the 4 series iPhones. For example, many hoped for a blend of the original unibody iPhone 1 (I have a fully working one right here and it's lovely and comfortable being so curvy) and the 2011/2012 MacBook Air. Namely, a slick tapered unibody case and some unique new hardware and software features that show Apple are still capable of innovating not just doing what is easy.

    To date, Google's Android is more intelligent than iOS, in particular when it comes to Motorola with their location and time aware widgets and features.

    I know from travelling around the world and on public transport her in the UK that the majority of people who purchase iPhones, in particular the latest models (other than devs and genuine Apple lovers), are young people who would otherwise buy a BlackBerry and are very social. In fact, I have in the last few days seen young women walk into phone shops with their BBs or early iPhones and order the iPhone 5. The other half of the demographic are slick professionals in the city who like to dress to impress. Believe me, they do not care a sausage about the A6 processor even if it does mean that Facebook or their SalesForce app launches much quicker!

    I visited London and Chicago recently and almost everyone had an iPhone 4S, and they fitted right into the aforementioned demographic.

    The rest of the world is more geeky and will opt for Android.

    The iPhone 5 is NOT a threat to Android, it is a threat to Nokia/Microsoft and RIM, although I think the Lumia 920 will appeal to those who like to dress different.

    En garde!
  • Reply 29 of 47

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post



    The reason people were underwhelmed is not the spec, but the lack of a brave new industrial design to get people pumped up and of course, move beyond the 1980s Sony design aesthetic of the 4 series iPhones. For example, many hoped for a blend of the original unibody iPhone 1 (I have a fully working one right here and it's lovely and comfortable being so curvy) and the 2011/2012 MacBook Air. Namely, a slick tapered unibody case and some unique new hardware and software features that show Apple are still capable of innovating not just doing what is easy.

    To date, Google's Android is more intelligent than iOS, in particular when it comes to Motorola with their location and time aware widgets and features.

    I know from travelling around the world and on public transport her in the UK that the majority of people who purchase iPhones, in particular the latest models (other than devs and genuine Apple lovers), are young people who would otherwise buy a BlackBerry and are very social. In fact, I have in the last few days seen young women walk into phone shops with their BBs or early iPhones and order the iPhone 5. The other half of the demographic are slick professionals in the city who like to dress to impress. Believe me, they do not care a sausage about the A6 processor even if it does mean that Facebook or their SalesForce app launches much quicker!

    I visited London and Chicago recently and almost everyone had an iPhone 4S, and they fitted right into the aforementioned demographic.

    The rest of the world is more geeky and will opt for Android.

    The iPhone 5 is NOT a threat to Android, it is a threat to Nokia/Microsoft and RIM, although I think the Lumia 920 will appeal to those who like to dress different.

    En garde!




    Tapered design makes sense for a laptop but not necessarily for a handheld device. Putting hardware and software features just for the sake of pretending to be innovative makes no sense.


     


    Of course iPhone is not a threat to Android. One is a system product. The other is an OS/platform. A threat to RIM? Seriously? What does RIM have to lose these days?


     


    You like the Lumia 920? How much does it cost? When is it coming out? You don't know and neither does Nokia. Does it really have video stabilization or do you have to fake it like Nokia did in their demo? If the Lumia is so great, why did Nokia trip over itself to announce it before it is ready?


     


    There is in fact true innovation in iPhone 5. I challenge you to name them, and then name the true innovation in recently released Android and WP8 devices. If you can't, then it's time to shut up.

  • Reply 30 of 47

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post



    The reason people were underwhelmed is not the spec, but the lack of a brave new industrial design to get people pumped up and of course, move beyond the 1980s Sony design aesthetic of the 4 series iPhones. For example, many hoped for a blend of the original unibody iPhone 1 (I have a fully working one right here and it's lovely and comfortable being so curvy) and the 2011/2012 MacBook Air. Namely, a slick tapered unibody case and some unique new hardware and software features that show Apple are still capable of innovating not just doing what is easy.

    To date, Google's Android is more intelligent than iOS, in particular when it comes to Motorola with their location and time aware widgets and features.

    I know from travelling around the world and on public transport her in the UK that the majority of people who purchase iPhones, in particular the latest models (other than devs and genuine Apple lovers), are young people who would otherwise buy a BlackBerry and are very social. In fact, I have in the last few days seen young women walk into phone shops with their BBs or early iPhones and order the iPhone 5. The other half of the demographic are slick professionals in the city who like to dress to impress. Believe me, they do not care a sausage about the A6 processor even if it does mean that Facebook or their SalesForce app launches much quicker!

    I visited London and Chicago recently and almost everyone had an iPhone 4S, and they fitted right into the aforementioned demographic.

    The rest of the world is more geeky and will opt for Android.

    The iPhone 5 is NOT a threat to Android, it is a threat to Nokia/Microsoft and RIM, although I think the Lumia 920 will appeal to those who like to dress different.

    En garde!


     


     


    Niece (and well balanced) try to present Apple consumers as « fashion people ».


     


    As far as Microsoft/Nokia/RIM are concerned, I think that , quarter after quarter, the sales figures that Apple will issue will crucify them … 

  • Reply 31 of 47
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post



    The reason people were underwhelmed is not the spec, but the lack of a brave new industrial design to get people pumped up and of course, move beyond the 1980s Sony design aesthetic of the 4 series iPhones. For example, many hoped for a blend of the original unibody iPhone 1 (I have a fully working one right here and it's lovely and comfortable being so curvy) and the 2011/2012 MacBook Air. Namely, a slick tapered unibody case and some unique new hardware and software features that show Apple are still capable of innovating not just doing what is easy.

    To date, Google's Android is more intelligent than iOS, in particular when it comes to Motorola with their location and time aware widgets and features.

    I know from travelling around the world and on public transport her in the UK that the majority of people who purchase iPhones, in particular the latest models (other than devs and genuine Apple lovers), are young people who would otherwise buy a BlackBerry and are very social. In fact, I have in the last few days seen young women walk into phone shops with their BBs or early iPhones and order the iPhone 5. The other half of the demographic are slick professionals in the city who like to dress to impress. Believe me, they do not care a sausage about the A6 processor even if it does mean that Facebook or their SalesForce app launches much quicker!

    I visited London and Chicago recently and almost everyone had an iPhone 4S, and they fitted right into the aforementioned demographic.

    The rest of the world is more geeky and will opt for Android.

    The iPhone 5 is NOT a threat to Android, it is a threat to Nokia/Microsoft and RIM, although I think the Lumia 920 will appeal to those who like to dress different.

    En garde!


     


    I see it this way,  Android is like the Microsoft of the mobile devices.  Since Microsoft is sucking wind in the smartphone tablet arena.


     


    Android pros - Lots of phone choices, lots of features in the OS, lots of eye candy, BUT lots of Malware.


    iOS - One model per year, consistent design/engineering/technology driven and brings features on a level that isn't overwhelming.  Pretty much NO Malware.


    Windows 8 - Some decent hardware, more choices, but the Interface is either Love it/hate it.  Personally I hate it.  No apps/


     


    What the demographics are AS FAR AS I KNOW.


     


    Android - teenagers, geeks that like to customize, create apps, create malware, and gamers that like to over clock.


    IOS - Pretty much every demographic, but includes CORPORATIONS, BUSINESSES, and people that HAVE MONEY to spend on apps and accessories.


    Windows 8 = Probably those that bought a Zune and Microsoft employees.  Remember Microsoft got upset as Microsoft employees started to bring iPhones and iPads to work.

  • Reply 32 of 47


    Wrong.


     


    Android innovations...


     


    Time and location based app or feature status on Motorola phones.


     


    Putting (Samsung Galaxy S3) up to your ear whilst texting automatically starts a call to the person you are texting


     


    Front camera on S3 monitors the user's face. When they look away, it dims the display. Superb idea.


     


    Again, on the S3 (and future Samsung phones), the buddy photo feature that automatically sends photos of friends to them using the facial recognition system.


     


    Robust case of most Android phones mean you don't need a case. The iPhone 4S and 5 were marketed as being sexy by Apple, yet people cover them in protective cases because if you drop a 4 or 5 series, it will shatter. I know, ALL my friends with a 4 or 4S have broken the screen or rear several times. I have dropped my Android and Nokia phones and never broken any part of them.


     


    I love Apple, but they are NOT clever with features. Their calendar app is terrible and iCloud is a shiny but impractical disaster, something that would take me several pages to explain.


     


    I am a software and industrial designer with >20 years experience and know precisely what I am talking about, so don't be so rude when I'm making a totally valid point.


     


    I am typing this on an example of a more thoughtful and intelligent less greedy Apple product, the excellent 2011 edition 13" MacBook Air i7.


     


    I agree that there may be issues with a tapered design, but i was making a point that Apple could have updated it. There isn't even a mechanical camera shutter release. Using the volume button is a nightmare because the camera lens is in the wrong position to make it practical. Try it! Bloody nightmare, you have to take about 5 photos to get the right one!


     


    Sorry, the 5 is a very powerful phone and will sell millions, but it is NOT intelligently designed or thought out. As J'Ive himself implies in the Apple video, it is a piece of superb precision engineering, but it is not smart. It is the blonde of smart phones.


     


    One more thing, the adapter required to convert lightening to older docks etc will be useless as the phone will be pushed up. Further, why no thunderbolt to enable high speed data syncing for those who don't want to use wireless? What a great way to reduce the price of the chipset and encourage standardisation of the technology before, like Firewire, it is stillborn?


     


    Don't let your love of Apple or their products cloud a impartial analysis of the product.

  • Reply 33 of 47

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post


    Wrong.


     


    Android innovations...


     


    Time and location based app or feature status on Motorola phones.


     



     


    This is a feature, not an innovation. Implementation difficulty: low. Make that zero.


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post


     


    Putting (Samsung Galaxy S3) up to your ear whilst texting automatically starts a call to the person you are texting


     



     


    Feature implementation, not innovation. Again, low degree of difficulty.


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post


    Front camera on S3 monitors the user's face. When they look away, it dims the display. Superb idea.



     


    Somewhat innovative but more on the clever side rather than innovative. Again, low degree of difficulty.


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post


     


    Again, on the S3 (and future Samsung phones), the buddy photo feature that automatically sends photos of friends to them using the facial recognition system.


     



     


    There is innovation here, but not in what Samsung did. The innovation has been in development for decades and now so mature that every company uses it. The basic that Samsung uses it in this way means they've embedded someone else's innovation in a feature. This is another example how many people don't understand what real innovation is.


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post


    Robust case of most Android phones mean you don't need a case. The iPhone 4S and 5 were marketed as being sexy by Apple, yet people cover them in protective cases because if you drop a 4 or 5 series, it will shatter. I know, ALL my friends with a 4 or 4S have broken the screen or rear several times. I have dropped my Android and Nokia phones and never broken any part of them.


     



     


    That's not even worth mentioning in a discussion about innovation.  I am calling you a liar BTW. Because I do not believe for a second that ALL your friends with 4 and 4S have had their screen broken SEVERAL times. What a flagrant, unbelievable lie.


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post


     


    Robust case of most Android phones mean you don't need a case. The iPhone 4S and 5 were marketed as being sexy by Apple, yet people cover them in protective cases because if you drop a 4 or 5 series, it will shatter. I know, ALL my friends with a 4 or 4S have broken the screen or rear several times. I have dropped my Android and Nokia phones and never broken any part of them.


     


    I love Apple, but they are NOT clever with features. Their calendar app is terrible and iCloud is a shiny but impractical disaster, something that would take me several pages to explain.


     


    I am a software and industrial designer with >20 years experience and know precisely what I am talking about, so don't be so rude when I'm making a totally valid point.


     



     


    And I am Barack Obama. Maybe you're a software developer. Maybe you're an ID. But that does not mean you know PRECISELY what you are talking about. If you did, you wouldn't have to bring you your credentials. When a point is invalid, your professional background, whether real or imagined, is irrelevant.


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post


     


    I am typing this on an example of a more thoughtful and intelligent less greedy Apple product, the excellent 2011 edition 13" MacBook Air i7.


     


    I agree that there may be issues with a tapered design, but i was making a point that Apple could have updated it. There isn't even a mechanical camera shutter release. Using the volume button is a nightmare because the camera lens is in the wrong position to make it practical. Try it! Bloody nightmare, you have to take about 5 photos to get the right one!


     



     


    Ah ha. That must be why photos taken using an iPhone outnumber all other smartphones together by a ratio greater than 10:1 - because iPhone owners have to keep taking more to get them right. Can't be because the iPhone owners simply enjoy using their phones more, for photography and other apps. And they keep using them so much despite what a bloody nightmare it is. Uh huh.


     


    I could go on, but you've not named a true innovation from either an iPhone or non-iPhone. And they do exist, BTW. Total fail! If you're a software developer, I sure hope you don't work on important projects.

  • Reply 34 of 47
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,924member


    why change for the sake of change? Android phones have to differentiate between themselves otherwise they'll get lost in the bargain bin of generics. I'm sure Apple's design team has been doing industrial design > 20 years as well. In addition many believe the iphone 4 is a beautiful design. They just improved upon it.


     


    I've dropped my iphone once and it didn't shatter. I just don't want to dent it. I actually care about my phone. It isn't disposable like androids.


     


    Why use thunderbolt? That is overkill for a connection. Let alone the size of the port and the internals.

     


    As for people not caring about the A6? Apple does not run off a list of specs to impress customers (unlike Sammy), they just show you what the phone can do.

  • Reply 35 of 47

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by drblank View Post


     


    I see it this way,  Android is like the Microsoft of the mobile devices.


     



     


    No it is not. People keep using that analogy because they feel a need to use one. But that simply does not fit even with a shoe horn. Different revenue model. Proprietary platform v. open source (pseudo-open). Totally different architectures. Highly consistent UI from one hardware vendor to another on Windows. Not so on Android (even the gesture sets are different). Total control of Windows by MS. Not so with Android - carriers and hardware vendors all have varying degrees of control.


     


    In fact, please name 5 important similarities outside of the fact that both Windows and Android are intended to be used on 3rd party hardware.


     


    Don't fall for the trap that the closest analogy is in fact close.

  • Reply 36 of 47

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


    why change for the sake of change?



    Exactly!!!


     


    The fact that the likes of Samsung keep changing their external design shows their insecurity. Furthermore, there are in fact significant changes from iPhone 4S to iPhone 5 in the industrial design. A real ID knows that design is not just about what the eyes perceive from internet photos. The changes in the back are significant, profound and innovative - something that few Android device makers could pull off or would even want to try. When you finally get your hands on it, then you'll appreciate it.


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post


     


    I've dropped my iphone once and it didn't shatter. I just don't want to dent it. I actually care about my phone. It isn't disposable like androids.



     


    Doesn't that just baffle you? Every friend of his has broken their screens several times! What a fabulist!

  • Reply 37 of 47

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post


    I am a software and industrial designer with >20 years experience and know precisely what I am talking about, so don't be so rude when I'm making a totally valid point.



     


    You're not an ID with 20 years experience. That much is clear. If you were, you would appreciate the profound changes between 4S and 5. The fact that you would label them as unchanged says it all. Just the changes in the back alone are something to behold. You might figure this out when you finally get your hands on one. If you were a real ID, you would appreciate it already.

  • Reply 38 of 47
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,924member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post




     


    Doesn't that just baffle you? Every friend of his has broken their screens several times! What a fabulist!



    Android devices are more durable. I got so frustrated with my old Android device that I threw it. It survived. I'll give him that.

  • Reply 39 of 47
    oflife wrote: »
    Wrong.

    <<<<blah blah blah>>>>>

    I am a software and industrial designer with >20 years experience and know precisely what I am talking about, so don't be so rude when I'm making a totally valid point.

    <<<<more blah blah blah>>>>>

    One more thing, the adapter required to convert lightening to older docks etc will be useless as the phone will be pushed up. Further, why no thunderbolt to enable high speed data syncing for those who don't want to use wireless? What a great way to reduce the price of the chipset and encourage standardisation of the technology before, like Firewire, it is stillborn?

    Don't let your love of Apple or their products cloud a impartial analysis of the product.
    You're a lier. If you were a real engineer... you would know the answer to your question already. The internal Flash memory can't make use of the bandwidth provided by Thunderbolt, same reason it can't if Lightning was USB 3.

    Edited, because nobody needs to read that #%^ twice.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Haters gonna hate. Exactly. iPhone 5 is "boring" because everybody knew what it looked like weeks or maybe even months before the thing was announced. In reality these are really exciting times for Apple, they're batting like .900. Free iPhone 4, the new iPod touch has a really fast processor, a mini tablet coming out, and have you seen a Macbook Air? It's the sexiest Apple laptop since the Titanium G4, period. Apple is where the excitement is. Maybe they were expecting the new iPhone pequeño?
Sign In or Register to comment.