Some iOS 6 users reportedly suffering from Wi-Fi issues [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77

I found the solution. Go to setting, general, network, turn of celular data. Go back to setting, connect to your wifi network. go to general, network and turn of the celular data. Solve my wi-fi problem.

• Reply 22 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by japm View Post

NOT A REAL BUG !!!!

Explanation:

Apparently iOS queries http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html

to see if the WiFi network requires a login.

It went 404.

All iOS6 devices went nuts.

The Webpage is now online, problem fixed!

NOT an iOS issue.

Fair enough, but the average user (and I'd say I'm a bit above the average) wouldn't immediately know this. 

Having this sort of issue would send people into a bit of a panic. For a little while there, my iPad 2 was essentially a brick.

• Reply 23 of 77
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    No issues here, all iPhones, iPads and Macs updated and continued to work flawlessly. I use an Apple Time Capsule as our Router .
  • Reply 24 of 77

I was suffering this issue with my iPad (2012) Wi-Fi Only and it was frustrating beyond belief since it kept me from using the three things I updated to get at (Siri, Apple Maps, Facebook Integration). However, a little while later it stopped having the prompt come up and connects properly now.

• Reply 25 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

I was suffering this issue with my iPad (2012) Wi-Fi Only and it was frustrating beyond belief since it kept me from using the three things I updated to get at (Siri, Apple Maps, Facebook Integration). However, a little while later it stopped having the prompt come up and connects properly now.

Good.

So as Japm said, it was this page here that was the culprit:

http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html

• Reply 26 of 77
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Quote:

NOT A REAL BUG !!!!

Explanation:

Apparently iOS queries http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html

to see if the WiFi network requires a login.

It went 404.

All iOS6 devices went nuts.

The Webpage is now online, problem fixed!

NOT an iOS issue.

Fair enough, but the average user (and I'd say I'm a bit above the average) wouldn't immediately know this. 

Having this sort of issue would send people into a bit of a panic. For a little while there, my iPad 2 was essentially a brick.

Presumably iOS 5 did not do this, or the issue would have come up before. Doesn't seem like a very elegant solution to determining wifi status.

• Reply 27 of 77
    I was having this issue so i reset settings and now it connects but wont connect automatcally or remember my network password. Any suggestions?
  • Reply 28 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

[...] but the average user [...] wouldn't immediately know this [...]

I agree, but Apple uses the test webpage to automatically open the browser, in order for the user to login to a wifi (hotel, starbucks ...)

If that webpage is down, the whole system fails.

Maybe they have to rethink that feature, after todays events.

• Reply 29 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Presumably iOS 5 did not do this, or the issue would have come up before. Doesn't seem like a very elegant solution to determining wifi status.

I agree, it's a little strange. 

I wonder if anyone can give any explanation about this particular query, why it's done the way it is, etc.

• Reply 30 of 77

Quote:

I agree, but Apple uses the test webpage to automatically open the browser, in order for the user to login to a wifi (hotel, starbucks ...)

If that webpage is down, the whole system fails.

Maybe they have to rethink that feature, after todays events.

Thank you. And that answers (to a degree) my question above. 

• Reply 31 of 77
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

I noticed that my iPhone 4s drops its wifi after a while and I have to go back and connect manually.

• Reply 32 of 77
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    I noticed that my iPhone 4s drops its wifi after a while and I have to go back and connect manually.

Same here. And i have to re-enter my password every time. Sux
  • Reply 33 of 77
    I fixed mine by closing all apps and restarting
  • Reply 34 of 77

I had been having the same problem on my 4s, but then I read where someone had said it also seemed to be linked to locational services, and they said shutting that off worked.  I turned that off, and my wifi immediately connected without issue, and hasn't dropped out since (several hours now).  I've got location services turned back on as well.

• Reply 35 of 77

I saw this tip on the Apple support boards, and it worked for me.  Under General -> Cellular, I just scrolled down to the bottom of the page and turned off anything that had been on.

• Reply 36 of 77
    Some people are suffering from wi-fi issues, the rest are just tards trying to post to Facebook

My thoughts and prayers go out to the clueless who all are rushing out to upgrade to iOS6. Thanks for finding all the problems for us. Did you RTFM?

Steve would have never allowed Facebook crap in an Apple product. Why let some other company define your brand and own your customers?

Steve never had a Facebook page. Steve never tweeted.

Steve would have laughed at the sheep. Tim Cook just wants to steal your french fries.

Who upgrades to version Zero of anything? For Apple products you know to wait for version .1 It usually only a few weeks away. For Microsoft you wait for version 3, because it takes them that long to fix everything. For Android you just wait forever, because you are the mercy of a lot of half-ass companies who thought it would be a big deal to jump into the smartphone market with a cheap plastic product, but never intend on providing long-term support or upgrades.

• Reply 37 of 77

This is what I did to re-enable my wifi

For those who own a 32 gig 3GS iPhone (mines almost full mind you) and have recently updated to iOS6 -  and are having wifi connection issues.

Enable both your cell phone service & your Wi-Fi... then go to your General preferences.

In General settings go to Cellular - please disable Cellular Data.

Turn off your Cellular Data.

I repeat.

Turn off your Cellular Data.

Now as you proceed back to your home screen go back to Wi-Fi (if you are still having difficulty), and re log into your home wifi.

If problem is persisting, turn off your iPhone, and turn back on and repeat steps.

By the way, browsing with Safari is much faster in iOS6.

• Reply 38 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Some people are suffering from wi-fi issues, the rest are just tards trying to post to Facebook

My thoughts and prayers go out to the clueless who all are rushing out to upgrade to iOS6. Thanks for finding all the problems for us. Did you RTFM?

Steve would have never allowed Facebook crap in an Apple product. Why let some other company define your brand and own your customers?

Steve would have laughed at the sheep. Tim Cook just wants to steal your french fries.

Who upgrades to version Zero of anything? For Apple products you know to wait for version .1 It usually only a few weeks away. For Microsoft you wait for version 3, because it takes them that long to fix everything. For Android you just wait forever, because you are the mercy of a lot of half-ass companies who thought it would be a big deal to jump into the smartphone market with a cheap plastic product, but never intend on providing long-term support or upgrades.

The problem's gone now. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Who upgrades to version Zero of anything? 

I do. And the worst problem I've ever had with a Zero release is already resolved. 

• Reply 39 of 77

By the way, you may re enable your Cellular data once you've re established your Wi-Fi connection.

All should be working fine for some reason once you've established that Wi-Fi connection.

Wow... browsing with Safari using Cellular Data is waaaay faster than iOS5.

Almost faster than my home Wi Fi!

I'm using a dual "N" router from Telus for home wifi & fido piggybacking Rogers cellphone network in Victoria, BC....

• Reply 40 of 77
    msimpson wrote: »

Except Steve was around when Ping was released, which was half-baked because it was originally supposed to support Facebook integration.

Oh, and iOS 5 had Twitter integration, and I'm pretty sure that was developed and released while Steve was still around.

People have an irrational disdain for Mr. Cook.