Comments

• Reply 141 of 277
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 142 of 277
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

So since when did Apple Insider practice censorship?

A lot of posts that don't toe the "Apple is GOD" line are deleted...

pathetic.

If it were up to me, I'd instantly ban about 10-15% of all users here, maybe even more. This is not a democracy, and frankly, I'm not interested in what any Fandroids have to say. I come here to speak with fellow Apple users and anybody who doesn't fall into that category has no business being here, IMO. I've also mentioned this in the past, but if it were up to me (which it is not of course), I would only allow OS 9, OS X and iOS devices to be able to access an Apple centric site.

Apple users do not care about Fandroids, and they are unwanted. They are as welcome as a bunch of lepers.

• Reply 143 of 277
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

Apple won't sue because they would lose in court. Everyone, including Apple, knows that the premature release of Maps is the biggest mistake Apple has made since the release of the original iPhone.

Despite having a year left in their contract with Google, Apple decided to replace Google Maps with its own inferior solution, which is missing many useful features such as bike paths, public transportation route, street view, etc. Not to mention all of the problems they have with things like the Statue of Liberty being flattened. Since Apple usually ADDS features instead of REMOVING them, one can only come to the conclusion that iOS6 was more about APPLE and not its USERS. You know the situation is dire when Steven Colbert makes fun of the iPhone as he loves Apple products and is always promoting them on his show.

Maps, needs a Beta tag. Perhaps even an Alpha tag.

iOS 6 is free to users of qualified devices with some limitations depending on which hardware your are using. Apple doesn't profit much from offering continual OS upgrades to older hardware. It is a perk you get with iOS which differentiates it from Android where OS upgrades are hard to come by. For the adopters of iPhone 5, I don't think very many people are dwelling on the differences between Google Maps and Apple maps because there is so much to enjoy about the new device that everyone is just marveling in how light the device is and fast everything is. The difference in Maps has its pros and cons but the new phone is amazing and that is where Apple makes its money - selling new phones.

• Reply 144 of 277
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

Google Maps wouldn't have been fooled by the same trick because their map database is several orders of magnitude more detailed than Apple's is. Google was simply driving that point home.

Google was simply driving what point home?

That they can find imaginary addresses?

• Reply 145 of 277
    Apple would almost certainly correct a legitimate address used in a Google attack within a few hours. An address that is out-of-date or where Google mangles an address in some way that is arguably wrong would more likely remain as a difference between Google and Apple.

So far, I haven't found anything wrong in iOS6 Maps, but I have found it to be a bit more finicky than Google Maps in iOS5.
  • Reply 146 of 277
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    waverunnr wrote: »
    Maps is the biggest mistake Apple has made since the release of the original iPhone.

Releasing the original iPhone was a mistake?

I wish a lot more companies, across a wider range of industries, would make a lot more mistakes more often then...
  • Reply 147 of 277
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Releasing the original iPhone was a mistake?

I bet that Nokia, RIM and every other phone manufacturer on the planet wishes that Apple hadn't made that revolutionary, mind-blowing device that completely changed the entire industry mistake.

• Reply 148 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

This is an example of how easily people accept Google results as law. Over the years I have found Google's Maps for iOS to be highly flawed (in NYC) for a mapping service that has been around so long. So most of the fervent criticism of Apple Maps struck me as spoiled rhetoric %u2013 which will always be Apple's problem because they consistently raise the bar so high that people expect perfection from them.

I don't want to diminish the real mistakes in Apple Maps, but I just can't empathize since I have yet to find any trouble with the new Maps. I updated my iPhone 3GS - yes, 3GS %u2013 right before going on a weekend trip to upstate NY to a not-so populated town not even thinking that I might be jeopardizing my access to reliable mapping. Yet the maps worked perfectly. It helped my wife and I with our newborn baby find our way around flawlessly, a couple times even better than Google Maps probably would have with its missing image grids trying to keep up with low signal spots.

That's the crux of the issue I think.  Some people have issues, it's true.  But to make it seem that millions of iOS6 users are simply stuck where they're standing because the map app is worthless is going overboard.

• Reply 149 of 277
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 150 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Losing Google's YouTube App on iOS:

No biggie...we don't have to watch Gangnam Style

Losing Google Maps on iOS:

Millions of users in the Apple community disoriented...Apple, this is a monumental and fundamental part of what makes the iPhone or any smartphone a fledging Internet communications device. We have become so dependant on this in our daily lives and we take google maps as a feature that we pay for on iPhone having paid 1000's of dollars on products.

When the first iPhone came out, google maps was a primary feature and since then it always has been for millions of us. Now... Suddenly this smartphone is not so smart after all is it?

All we as customers want is some official statement regarding the situation so we can make calculated decisions in our own lives. The majority of users don't care about your beef with Google... We just want to know what's going to be done about this fiasco of epic proportions.

Really?  Do you need the maps app that much?  Are you that lost constantly?  I mean, unless you are constantly on business trips in different locations around the world does it really disorient your daily life that much?  I can see you being a little perturbed if you get an inaccuracy here or there, but if that is the app you use the most out of all the apps you have purchased or used, and is the most crucial, then perhaps you should go the Android route or try one of the many navigation apps on the AppStore.  I keep reading about how Apple users buy apps and that Android users are cheap and only want free stuff, so the fact that another map app costs money should not be a problem if one of those are more usable than the current app.  Just pointing out that there are alternatives.  Apple will continue to improve their navigation at an accelerated rate, but if it does not work for you, there are other choices.

• Reply 151 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichFromNY View Post

I love reading the Apple boards and Android boards for a good laugh...with the way some of you people react you would thing someone from the other side just walked in a kicked your puppy...

Sad but true.

• Reply 152 of 277
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    to all you Google apologists, Google's use of an address in its attack ad with no real world door in fact is disingenuous BS - and you know it. cut the crap.

an honest person or company would have made sure it was real, period, no exceptions and no excuses.

sure, interpolating locations based on block numbering is helpful when you don't have the precise address. but to use that to set up a "gotcha" for across the board trashing of your competition, inferring it can't find real addresses too, is worse than cheap tricks. it's a lie.

did they know? of course they did. Google IS evil. cut the crap.
  • Reply 153 of 277
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Apple won't sue because they would lose in court. Everyone, including Apple, knows that the premature release of Maps is the biggest mistake Apple has made since the release of the original iPhone.

This should be interesting....

In what sense was the original iPhone a mistake? It basically revolutionized an industry and started Apple's multibillion mobile business. So please enlighten us on why it was a huge mistake.
  • Reply 154 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

This should be interesting....

In what sense was the original iPhone a mistake? It basically revolutionized an industry and started Apple's multibillion mobile business. So please enlighten us on why it was a huge mistake.

Not to support his allegations but when I read that, I also thought it made no sense, so I think he meant something like: Since the time of the first introduction of the iPhone they have made very few mistakes, but in his opinion the Maps is the big one. Not that I agree....

• Reply 155 of 277

Quote:

Despite having a year left in their contract with Google, Apple decided to replace Google Maps with its own inferior solution, which is missing many useful features such as bike paths, public transportation route, street view, etc. Not to mention all of the problems they have with things like the Statue of Liberty being flattened. Since Apple usually ADDS features instead of REMOVING them, one can only come to the conclusion that iOS6 was more about APPLE and not its USERS. You know the situation is dire when Steven Colbert makes fun of the iPhone as he loves Apple products and is always promoting them on his show.

Maps, needs a Beta tag. Perhaps even an Alpha tag.

I have no need for bike path locations, public transportation routes or street views, thus they are not useful features to me.  If I need to catch the bus, strangely enough I know where bus stops are (they don't change that often and neither do subway stations), and I, like many others, also know what the Statue of Liberty looks like so the sky is not falling.  If such features are useful to you then say so, but do not think everyone has the same issues.  Apple HAS added features for you.  Face it, Google's iOS maps app would never have changed, why should it?  They had no reason to improve it, it was a free service on iOS, so who would complain?  Meanwhile,  Apple has removed ads, added turn-by-turn directions, protected your privacy and has ensured that iOS users will be treated like first class citizens now and in the future.  Some growing pains, sure, for some people.  Others have experienced no issues at all.  It is not the end of the world (we still have a few months until that happens).  As I have mentioned in some other posts, there are alternatives if you are not satisfied.

• Reply 156 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

Meanwhile,  Apple has removed ads, ....

Were there ads in Google Maps for iOS? I did not see them.

• Reply 157 of 277

>> address that didn't actually exist <<

If IOS 6 Map looks for it then it's a terrible software bug that needs to get fixed. It must prompt "address does not exist" then stops instead of pointing the user into a totally irrelevant location. IOS 6 Map developers should try a bad address on a $50 GPS to learn how it works.

• Reply 158 of 277

Yeah... And we all know how THAT mistake turned out. I wish more companies would take more risks like that.
  • Reply 159 of 277
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    edde wrote: »
    >><strong id="user_yui_3_5_1_1_1348794084056_631" style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;background-color:rgb(226,225,225);"> address that didn't actually exist <<</strong>

<span style="line-height:normal;">If IOS 6 Map looks for it then it's a terrible software bug that needs to get fixed. It must prompt "address does not exist" then stops instead of pointing the user into a totally irrelevant location. IOS 6 Map developers should try a bad address on a $50 GPS to learn how it works.</span>

Except for one thing. When it was given the address, it pointed the user to the nearest location (Brooklyn) that had that address. So why is that wrong?
  • Reply 160 of 277
    So since when did Apple Insider practice censorship?
    A lot of posts that don't toe the "Apple is GOD" line are deleted...
    pathetic.
    gtr wrote: »
    The mere fact that you have, and continue to, post utterly disproves this point.
    However, you did take us to a nice fantasy-land for a moment, didn't you? ;-)

I've had 2 posts today deleted because I didn't tow the line.