Google's "iLost" Motorola ad faked an address to "lose" iOS 6 Maps

Comments

• Reply 81 of 277
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

Fake addresses or noi, I'll have much more faith in Nokia's Navteq (which finds this "fake" address) over anything apple is pushing.

If the USPS doesn't list it as an address, it's not an address.  No matter what some Scandinavian company thinks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

Its surprising to see all these other mapping companies have it wrong.

My guess is they're either using the same wrong database or they are using a shared algorithm that calculates addresses, even where they don't exist.

IMO it's better to know that an address is wrong.

• Reply 82 of 277

you can't be serious?  You think that all of the media/blog/personal coverage has been a sinister ploy spearheaded by Google to disparage Maps?  Take off yr fanboy blinders, little man

• Reply 83 of 277
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    galaxytab wrote: »
    Bing Maps can find it.

LL

Nokia Maps can find it.

LL

We all know Google Maps can find it.

And somehow this doesn't expose a deficiency with Apple's Maps at all? Why can't Apple's mapping solution find it if its competitors can?

All three of those will be taking you to someplace you could not possibly be wanting to go...
  • Reply 84 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Of course they were influenced by the media.

And "I have asked around" is not valid evidence. When you ask people in your fandroid club, what do you think they're going to say?

As I said, there is absolutely no valid evidence that you're any more or less likely to get an error with Apple's Maps than with Google's Maps or anyone else's maps. Maybe Apple Maps does have a big problem, but you can't tell that from the volume of whining on forums like this.

I have no idea where you get off thinking I'm in some "frandroid" club. Everyone in "my club" threw out there Android phones and NO one wants to go back...so strike one.  

As I said, I don't have a major problem with iOS maps, nor do I have a problem with people that do.  Obviously, you take it personally if people don't like things about iOS maps.  There are real problems though.  People telling me and showing me problems is evidence to me.  It doesn't have to be evidence for you.  You can have whatever standard you want.

But I won't stop trying to help my friends.  They come to me for help with computers and gadgets.  I tend to find it more friend-like to actually assist people as opposed to insulting their intelligence and telling them their problems are all made up and lack "evidence".  I'll continue to help people get more out of iOS maps, and you can continue to insult them.

• Reply 85 of 277
    venimdenim wrote: »
    you can't be serious?  You think that all of the media/blog/personal coverage has been a sinister ploy spearheaded by Google to disparage Maps?  Take off yr fanboy blinders, little man

The bulk of that coverage is talking about the distortion in flyover. Not particularly important to anyone.
  • Reply 86 of 277
    rednival wrote: »
    There's only no evidence if you ignore that fact that many people don't like it, and I have asked around.  Are they being influenced by the media?  Probably.

I've had my own issues when doing tests, though nothing I am terribly upset about it.  I was just testing it based on problems others had told me about and I had read about.  I did similar searches and experienced similar problems.  For me, it's no big deal.  But I don't like to dismiss what other people think as irrelevant or "noise".  I don't believe Apple will either.

There are alternatives, and like you said, nothing is perfect.  So I do think the media is blowing it WAY out of proportion.  

I think Motorola and other handset makers will make a play to the (real or imagined) dissatisfaction people have towards iOS maps in the hopes they can lure a few people to Android.  It sort of makes sense.  Android still has Google Maps and iOS does not.  If you trick yourself into thinking Google Maps was the only reason people had an iPhone, then you may convince yourself it's a good play.  I am sure they won't find much success. I gave up my Android for iPhone knowing full well I'd have to find a 3rd party to provide turn-by-turn navigation.  Navigation is a bonus for me and an anyone with an iPhone.  If its your reason for having a smartphone, you probably have an Android phone already.

The thing I see as desperate is other handset makers grasping at any straw they can find to try and chip away at the Apple juggernaut.  I honestly doubt there is much fear or desperation over iOS maps...yet. I am confident Apple will find away to take maps and navigation to a whole new place, and I am excited about that.  But that day hasn't arrived.  

I think Google is very desperate. They are losing a massive chunk of their mobile revenue. We don't know the specifics of their contract or if Apple still has to pay them for the next year, but whenever the money stops, Google loses a lot of mobile revenue.
  • Reply 87 of 277
    If every other map app shows the location where such an address would be and the NYC building authority or whatever lists it as a potential address...and it is displayed in an ad...how exactly is that underhanded and deceptive?
  • Reply 88 of 277

I have to be honest and wasn't impressed with the reports on iOS maps when it came out and the problems people were reporting. However, after using it for the past week, it has worked perfect for me in Canada. I probably jumped the gun too soon and was basing my opinion on internet articles and other people's posts rather than actually using the product. I actually love iOS maps, the turn by turn directions and the Siri integration. Even if Google released Google Maps as a stand-alone iOS app, I would still keep using iMaps with it's great integration with the rest of the OS.

• Reply 89 of 277
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    red oak wrote: »
    Another great, detailed article Daniel. Thank you
    I've lost any remaining trust in Google. I've switched all my default search to Bing. It's actually pretty darned good. I recommend everyone giving it try

Done.
  • Reply 90 of 277
    also, since Apple maps can find the place if you use the zip code how is it a fake address?
  • Reply 91 of 277
    galaxytab wrote: »
    Bing Maps can find it.

[image]

Nokia Maps can find it.

[image[

We all know Google Maps can find it.

And somehow this doesn't expose a deficiency with Apple's Maps at all? Why can't Apple's mapping solution find it if its competitors can?

And if Google Maps gives you directions to Peter Pan's Neverland by telling you travel through the gumdrop forest on the yellow brick road does before stepping though the looking glass does that it a real place?

You must also think this is the best route to get from Point A to B because Google Maps says so.

For **** sake! There are plenty of legitimate things to compare Google Maps to Apple Maps where Google outright wins but to force an argument that maps that have false addresses are better simply because they include them is fucking unreal.
  • Reply 92 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

If every other map app shows the location where such an address would be and the NYC building authority or whatever lists it as a potential address...and it is displayed in an ad...how exactly is that underhanded and deceptive?

Because it's using a non existent address giving off a false perception that the Apple maps is inferior, when in reality, using that same example, it's the MOTO device with Google Maps that is inferior. It's sending you to a non existent address.

Imagine you fat finger an address, or someone mistakenly gives you a wrong address (or you simply wrote it down wrong). lets say you are going to 1315 e 15th, or 315 e 115th... wouldn't you want your mapping software to correct you BEFORE you venture off so you can confirm the address, or just set you off driving to find yourself in front of a park?

• Reply 93 of 277
    also, since Apple maps can find the place if you use the zip code how is it a fake address?

Because without the zip code Apple maps is taking you to the most likely place you would want to be going. With the zip code, it is giving you the closest place it can find within the constraints you provided. I am not sure this is as hard to understand as you are pretending it is...
  • Reply 94 of 277

Quote:

And here's the REALLY funny part. I just typed "315 E 15th in Manhattan" (which is exactly the way they describe it in the ad) into my iPhone 4S with iOS 6 

The funny part is that if you actually LOOK at the ad it says "315 e 15th st ny"  

Not "315 E 15th in Manhattan"

if we're gonna be technical.

• Reply 95 of 277
    so if I'm understanding you all correctly...everyone else is wrong...Apple is right?

I guess it's possible...though unlikely.
  • Reply 96 of 277

Quote:

Of course they were influenced by the media.

And "I have asked around" is not valid evidence. When you ask people in your fandroid club, what do you think they're going to say?

As I said, there is absolutely no valid evidence that you're any more or less likely to get an error with Apple's Maps than with Google's Maps or anyone else's maps. Maybe Apple Maps does have a big problem, but you can't tell that from the volume of whining on forums like this.

What evidence?  How about the blank cities around the world?  How about the POI database that's only a fraction of the size of Google's?  With regards to the amount of data Google stores for maps I can't find a number more recent than early 2006, but at that time they had 70 TB of data.  I can only imagine that it has ballooned to petabytes by now.  Nothing you say will make me believe that any of the companies whose data Apple is borrowing have such a vast database.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No.

I think they spent months pouring over the iOS beta releases, having signed up for the developer program under false pretenses, to find any "discrepancies" they could. That's pretty obvious from the fact that on the day of its release, they were ready with as many "discrepancies" as they could find, and this ad is the result of one of those "discrepancies". And by 'they', I mean Google. And by 'discrepancies' I mean misrepresentations when that's all they could come up with.

You really think that Google paid someone for months just to look through a database to find missing entries?  First of all, that takes minutes if not seconds as long you're leveraging the power of the computer that stores the database instead of doing it manually.  Second, no company in their right mind would do that simply to make an internet-based ad.

• Reply 97 of 277

I've moved on from this MapCrapGate pissing contest... There are more important issues that need to be addressed:

I've decided to offer special training for the new iPhone 5 EarPods -- the proper methods and procedures of reinstalling the EarPods into their specially molded holder and case.

Based on anecdotal experience and observation, there is a compelling need for this training...

I anticipate that it will be well received -- possibly equalling the enormously popular "Bidet For Dummies".

• Reply 98 of 277

Because it is not an address? Because they claim you will be lost with the iPhone when the iPhone is the only device in the ad that is taking you where you wanted to go?
  • Reply 99 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

It's deceptive because according to the USPS it is not a valid address. You cannot mail anything there. No one owns that address. Maybe at one point someone did but not now. This means it would be extremely unlikely that anyone would ever need to put that address into their phone to find that exact address.

• Reply 100 of 277
    What evidence?  How about the blank cities around the world?  How about the POI database that's only a fraction of the size of Google's?  With regards to the amount of data Google stores for maps I can't find a number more recent than early 2006, but at that time they had 70 TB of data.  I can only imagine that it has ballooned to petabytes by now.  Nothing you say will make me believe that any of the companies whose data Apple is borrowing have such a vast database.

You really think that Google paid someone for months just to look through a database to find missing entries?  First of all, that takes minutes if not seconds as long you're leveraging the power of the computer that stores the database instead of doing it manually.  Second, no company in their right mind would do that simply to make an internet-based ad.

Lol, you think they didn't. Answer this then. How did they happen upon address no one would have searched for naturally?