Google's "iLost" Motorola ad faked an address to "lose" iOS 6 Maps

Comments

• Reply 181 of 277
    This has to be the most cult-like comment on this board...and you probably do not even realize how.

I sacrifice a goat every time I have to restart my Mac. All hail our bootstrap overloads! Do I have the most cult-like comment on the board now?
  • Reply 182 of 277
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I sacrifice a goat every time I have to restart my Mac. All hail our bootstrap overloads! Do I have the most cult-like comment on the board now?

Being you're one of the most reasonable posters on any board I've ever been on I'd first assume a goat hacked your account than assume you've lost your mind.
  • Reply 183 of 277
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/152941/googles-ilost-motorola-ad-faked-an-address-to-lose-ios-6-maps/160#post_2200245"]That is totally not true.

I'd estimate that the real figure is closer to 10%.

well played...
  • Reply 184 of 277
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

So since when did Apple Insider practice censorship?

Censorship is when government prohibits or suppresses speech, the press, expression, etc.

That doesn't give you the right to be heard on someone else's press (or forum software).  OTOH, you are free to buy your own press to print or post whatever you'd like, in the unlikely event you could find anyone interested in reading what you have to say.

• Reply 185 of 277
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    muppetry wrote: »
    It depends a bit on what you regard as an irrelevant address. Search algorithms are generally programmed to be helpful for malformed or incomplete queries, and so returning the nearest likely address is not necessarily a bad result.
    However, that doesn't appear to have been the issue here; originally iOS maps seemed to return the "correct" address when "Manhattan" was included in the query, but not if it was omitted. Now it works either way. That rather kills the argument that iOS maps correctly identified the nearest instance of that address, since it clearly does recognize it as a valid address.

Or maybe Apple simply caved in to all the BS flying around.

Furthermore, the entire argument is stupid. No one denies that there are errors in Apple's Maps. Just like there are errors in Google's Maps. And Tom-Tom. And Mapquest. And every other mapping program on the planet. Google is making a big deal out of one address. Apple could do the same thing to them.

Until someone actually demonstrates that there are significantly more errors on Apple's program than on Google's, it's nothing more than FUD.
  • Reply 186 of 277
    Being you're one of the most reasonable posters on any board I've ever been on I'd first assume a goat hacked your account than assume you've lost your mind.

Thanks. I certainly try to look at multiple sides of an issue.
  • Reply 187 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

It depends a bit on what you regard as an irrelevant address. Search algorithms are generally programmed to be helpful for malformed or incomplete queries, and so returning the nearest likely address is not necessarily a bad result.

However, that doesn't appear to have been the issue here; originally iOS maps seemed to return the "correct" address when "Manhattan" was included in the query, but not if it was omitted. Now it works either way. That rather kills the argument that iOS maps correctly identified the nearest instance of that address, since it clearly does recognize it as a valid address.

Or maybe Apple simply caved in to all the BS flying around.

It doesn't seem reasonable to call it "caving", since they obviously needed to remove the inconsistency between the results with and without "Manhattan" in the query.

• Reply 188 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by rednival View Post

...as it is way to easy for Google to release Google Maps for iPhone.

If Google Maps continue to redirect search destinations to paid sponsored link ads, Apple would be well within their rights to reject their app.

• Reply 189 of 277
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member

Quote:

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

there is no such address according to the NYC department of buildings website. every address in NYC is in their system

everyone except apple probably used fake placeholders or if there is a big gap in numbers they probably have a location estimate algorithm

This on Twitter, can someone clarify the situation (haven't read all posts yet)

An account set up just to push Google's case...

• Reply 190 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And if Google Maps gives you directions to Peter Pan's Neverland by telling you travel through the gumdrop forest on the yellow brick road does before stepping though the looking glass does that it a real place?

You must also think this is the best route to get from Point A to B because Google Maps says so.

For **** sake! There are plenty of legitimate things to compare Google Maps to Apple Maps where Google outright wins but to force an argument that maps that have false addresses are better simply because they include them is fucking unreal.

Surely you must've not known that this is the walking route suggesting to use two ferry connections to cut 6 hours of travel time?

No problem, your mistake, all is forgiven.

What is that?

You don't like how Google is patronizing you on your spiritual journey to enlightenment, tainting it by suggesting another form of transportation instead of walking to shorten your trip?

Well, lucky you there is a big hint that ferries are included in the route and an option to exclude the ferries and get a walking only-route!

Disingenuous posts like that no matter what company you prefer should be a bannable offense, it just poisons the conversation.

Yes, I just registered for this post to highlight this travesty.

• Reply 191 of 277
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

I've had 2 posts today deleted because I didn't tow the line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

There were two posts in this thread alone of mine that were deleted.

That is no fantasy...there were other posts in other threads that were also deleted.

It happens...maybe not to you because you deify a corporation...but it happens.

They've deleted four of your posts?

I'm outraged!

Mods, why aren't you deleting MORE!!!

• Reply 192 of 277

Well isn't that lovely, moderated posts by the mods so my debunking post doesn't show up.

I wonder how so many troll posts still make it past that.

• Reply 193 of 277
    john.b wrote: »
    If Google Maps continue to redirect search destinations to paid sponsored link ads, Apple would be well within their rights to reject their app.

I am not familiar with app submission guidelines, but I am assuming Google is from the number of apps they have in the App Store. IF Google does release the app, and I could care less if they do, I am sure they COULD do what they need to do to get it approved. Or they'll submit it, knowing it will be rejected, and the moan and cry "foul".

Point is they've got plenty of apps on iOS and know how to get them approved, so they could again.
  • Reply 194 of 277

Originally Posted by Ateny View Post

Well isn't that lovely, moderated posts by the mods so my debunking post doesn't show up.

I wonder how so many troll posts still make it past that.

That's actually our bot, Defensio. It learns what we teach it, and so it catches a majority of the spam that hits the forums, and that alerts us to enact on it.

… It has also learned, on its own, to block some posts that we as humans would consider trolling. Take that as you will. But neither of your posts were deleted by human hands.

Here's that last post restored. I think it would have been a favor not restoring it… 

• Reply 195 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's actually our bot, Defensio. It learns what we teach it, and so it catches a majority of the spam that hits the forums, and that alerts us to enact on it.

… It has also learned, on its own, to block some posts that we as humans would consider trolling. Take that as you will. But neither of your posts were deleted by human hands.

Here's that last post restored. I think it would have been a favor not restoring it… 

So a post about exposing people's lies should've better stayed hidden?

Is that how this forum works here?

I only registered here because when I first saw that particular image a few days ago, I wasn't believing that it would be that bad on Google's side, so I tried the route myself - with the aforementioned results.

So anyone using that in a discussion about mapping services doesn't seem honest to me, same stuff happens probably with those tumblr images for the new iOS maps.

*edit* Too much I in here.

• Reply 196 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

This on Twitter, can someone clarify the situation (haven't read all posts yet)

An account set up just to push Google's case...

In case you missed the earlier discussion, the US Postal Service says it's not: https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupResultsAction!input.action?resultMode=0&companyName=&address1=315+E+15th+St&address2=&city=new+york&state=NY&urbanCode=&postalCode=&zip=

Quote:

The address you provided is not recognized by the US Postal Service as an address we serve. Mail sent to this address may be returned.

The ironic thing is that Google's own Street View even shows that "address" isn't an address at all:

It does make a thinking person wonder whether Bing, Google, Nokia, and MapQuest are all using the same source.  But I'm sure facts won't matter to the Fandroids.

• Reply 197 of 277

Originally Posted by Ateny View Post

So a post about exposing people's lies should've better stayed hidden?

Simply because of how I perceive you will take the responses that I assume you will receive for it. Nothing more. 

• Reply 198 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

In case you missed the earlier discussion, the US Postal Service says it's not: https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupResultsAction!input.action?resultMode=0&companyName=&address1=315+E+15th+St&address2=&city=new+york&state=NY&urbanCode=&postalCode=&zip=

The ironic thing is that Google's own Street View even shows that "address" isn't an address at all:

It does make a thinking person wonder whether Bing, Google, Nokia, and MapQuest are all using the same source.  But I'm sure facts won't matter to the Fandroids.

Thank you!
  • Reply 199 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dselevan View Post

Apple's map still can't find my home address with apartment number, which is 1845 1/8...I even reported this to apple 3 times by hitting the button for that. The advertisement seems valid to me. Can't wait for google maps app.

Google Maps hasn't had my (inner city) address correct in several years.

• Reply 200 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

What Google did wasn't dishonest and it wasn't an act of desperation. Apple Maps should have known the address was fake and not try to go looking for it. Google Maps wouldn't have been fooled by the same trick because their map database is several orders of magnitude more detailed than Apple's is. Google was simply driving that point home. Of course, the fanboys won't see it that way, because in their mind Apple can do no wrong.

This phrase. I don't think it means what you think it means.

Perhaps there are more fanboys here than you think.