Apple's planned Internet radio service held up by talks with Sony

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

"Apple's planned Internet radio service held up by talks with Sony"

So what?

Because of Apple's iOS 6 map app I'm unable to find my iPhone to listen to any music anyway.

(Yes, that was sarcasm)

• Reply 42 of 45

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Because of Apple's iOS 6 map app I'm unable to find my iPhone to listen to any music anyway.

(Yes, that was sarcasm)

Nice Maps joke. That got a smile out of me at least.

• Reply 43 of 45
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

My house used to be full of Sony products.  I now have only one, and when it dies it won't be replaced with another Sony.  I've gone from loving them ten years ago to despising them now.

I'm frustrated by their rabid pursuit of DRM.  I'm the PAYING customer, yet my user experience is worse than what the guy who steals the content gets.  We wind up with this ridiculous platform-specific licensing model that makes me pay twice if I want to watch a movie on both my Blu-Ray player and my computer or iDevice.  How many Blu-Ray movies from other studios include combo "digital" versions?  Now, how many from Sony?

Then there's their distribution and pricing system that screws hardware buyers in smaller countries.  A Denon device costs roughly the same in Canada as it does in the USA.  A Sony device costs as much as 50% more!

Now we can add their apparent inability to think outside the decades-old licensing model built for AM radio, even though the benefit to them is enormous.

Maybe I should just start a new thread: SCREW Sony!

• Reply 44 of 45
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    There are weeks when you wonder if anyone at Sony even remembers how to unlock and open the front door...
  • Reply 45 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

They're supposedly pulling out of ASCAP and BMI too, the two largest music licensing organizations. If true it's probably going to make it more expensive and difficult for any of the OTA music services to negotiate their next contracts.