Google Maps adds new 45-degree satellite imagery to take on Apple's Flyover

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    phasornc wrote: »
    That thing labelled "Cathedral of Pisa" is actually the bell tower next to the Cathedral of Pisa. Hurry up, start up a Tumblr: Google45DegreeGoofs, call the WSJ, put it on Yahoo's front page!

Good one. Apple can't find nonexistent addresses, but Google fails Social Studies.

They really ought not to sling mud when so much of it could end up back on them.
  • Reply 62 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by phasornc View Post

That thing labelled "Cathedral of Pisa" is actually the bell tower next to the Cathedral of Pisa. Hurry up, start up a Tumblr: Google45DegreeGoofs, call the WSJ, put it on Yahoo's front page!

Good one. Apple can't find nonexistent addresses, but Google fails Social Studies.

They really ought not to sling mud when so much of it could end up back on them.

I thought the Leaning Tower of Pisa was in Brooklyn... or, maybe State College, PA.

• Reply 63 of 81
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Please, maps was not a cash cow. All it lost was the licensing fee Apple was paying which was probably a few million. There are now enough Android devices for them to draw data from.

If USD $500 mn is a "few million" to you then I am certain that I could never spend your entire fortune. Please adopt me.

Android-based smartphones are a curiosity. My customers who use Android-based smartphones have mostly been completely shocked when I told them their "smartphone" could provide turn-by-turn navigation.
  • Reply 64 of 81
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    So first we have another misreporting from AI -nothing new or to 'take on' here just additions- then the usual dishonest fanbois and their Pavlovian nonsense, then people claiming that the Pisa tower/ campanile isn't actually part of the cathedral... Oh well, ignorant if not dishonest misinformation at its best...
  • Reply 65 of 81
    forgive me if this was covered already but being a satellite image it's just a 45° from one side, not the 3D view you get from FlyOver, right?
  • Reply 66 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

... someday in the future unless they develop (if they haven't already) an effective mobile plan that relies very little on Apple's cooperation.

For now any loss of revenue's from Google' Maps not being the default on iOS devices is probably a minor blip and all but unnoticeable in the big picture. The total revenue from ALL Google services on iOS are estimated to contribute just 2.5% of Google overall revenues, and maps is is just a percentage of that 2.5%. IMO it's unlikely to be more than a few hundred million if the estimates of iOS contributions were correct.

I think your buddies at Google realize that future is coming sooner rather than later.  If Apple "iPods" the tablet market, Google is literally screwed.  Why do you think Page gripes about people accessing the web through apps (sans Google Analytics and the rest of their spyware) every chance he gets, or why the Nexus 7 has to be sold at a loss?  I for one can hardly wait for that future.  

• Reply 67 of 81
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

forgive me if this was covered already but being a satellite image it's just a 45° from one side, not the 3D view you get from FlyOver, right?

Correct from the ones I've looked at. All the images I've seen have been 45? from the south.

• Reply 68 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I think you actually would have made more money over the last several months by investing in Google stock over Apple

There's alot of stocks which would have made more than Apple in that timeframe.  This year I've already more than doubled up my portfolio... 

• Reply 69 of 81
    muppetry wrote: »
    Correct from the ones I've looked at. All the images I've seen have been 45? from the south.

Then it's not really comparable. In the months I've been using iOS 6 I've had absolutely no use for FlyOver and miss Street View quite a bit but this 45° shot from a single angle is no FlyOver.
  • Reply 70 of 81
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    solipsismx wrote: »

But that won't stop Google and all of its shills from pretending that it's just the same.
  • Reply 71 of 81
    jragosta wrote: »
    But that won't stop Google and all of its shills from pretending that it's just the same.

I wouldn't be surprised if Google (through Moto) is now busy trying to find some 45° angle still shot that is beautiful on Google Maps but rendered poorly by FlyOver to prove how it's superior.

What's sad is that Google has some legitimate claims it can make against Apple Maps but it's make sleazy claims instead.
  • Reply 72 of 81
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Then it's not really comparable. In the months I've been using iOS 6 I've had absolutely no use for FlyOver and miss Street View quite a bit but this 45° shot from a single angle is no FlyOver.

Completely agree, although I might use the flyover thing more if I lived somewhere where it is implemented. The 45? view is pleasing to look at, but it's not the view that you would actually see - it has to be re-projected to the underlying map projection in use.

• Reply 73 of 81
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Is that Los Banos or Los Baños? I'm not sure I'd want to live in the latter, LOL
    For men at least, that 45 degree angle is essential in Los Baños!
  • Reply 74 of 81
    jragosta wrote: »

question...in all seriousness...

who the hell has actually said that?

There you go constructing your straw army so you can walk in, battle-ready, like a fool defeating your fabricated foes.
  • Reply 75 of 81
    Um, this was just a regular imagery update for Google Maps. They post them all the time (earlier posts are here: http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/search/label/imagery). It has nothing to do with Apple Maps.

Further, Google launched 45-degree imagery back in late 2009 - http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2009/12/changing-your-perspective.html. This isn't some new feature they just launched. They regulary add new cities - http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/search/label/oblique imagery. It's similar to Bing's Birds Eye mode. Rather than break 45-degree out as a seperate layer (like Bing did), Google integrated it into the zoom levels -- if you have satellite imagery enabled, when you zoom in, you'll automatically be switched to 45-degree imagery once you zoom in far enough. If you have Maps GL enabled, if you keep zooming in, you'll transition to Street View. It's kind of a neat trick.
  • Reply 76 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    derekmorr wrote: »
    Um, this was just a regular imagery update for Google Maps. They post them all the time (earlier posts are here: http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/search/label/imagery). It has nothing to do with Apple MaAps.
    Further, Google launched 45-degree imagery back in late 2009 - http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2009/12/changing-your-perspective.html. This isn't some new feature they just launched. They regulary add new cities - http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/search/label/oblique imagery. It's similar to Bing's Birds Eye mode. Rather than break 45-degree out as a seperate layer (like Bing did), Google integrated it into the zoom levels -- if you have satellite imagery enabled, when you zoom in, you'll automatically be switched to 45-degree imagery once you zoom in far enough. If you have Maps GL enabled, if you keep zooming in, you'll transition to Street View. It's kind of a neat trick.

I never saw it in Google because of my somewhat rural location. Bing does have my location in their Birds Eye 45 degree view from two directions. Apple flyover only gets basic landscape topology for me, no 3D buildings or foliage. These features are nice, but the utility is often limited. SteetView proved helpful a couple times.
  • Reply 77 of 81
    lalaruza wrote: »
    who cares about google maps, the maps in ios 6 is NOT that bad, I have not had any issue actually
    LOL. You Apple apologists are awesome. You accept mediocrity with amazing ease, as long as there is an Apple logo attached.
  • Reply 78 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    mac.world wrote: »
    LOL. You Apple apologists are awesome. You accept mediocrity with amazing ease, as long as there is an Apple logo attached.

You haters are so insecure, you troll Apple forums.
  • Reply 79 of 81
    Apple is going to throw some more very serious money at this problem to keep Google out of their user database. And well they should. They have been feeding one of their big competitors customer info for free for a long time, and the old Google maps on Apple were never anything to write home about. My son had Google's Android maps on his Samsung and we'd compared the version on his phone vs. my iPhone 4, and Google was providing better features in their OS than Apple's. So why would Apple continue to support that crap.... No, Apple needed to cut the cord, go cold turkey. The current pain is just withdrawal symptoms from a bad drug. It will get better and Apple will eventually be much better off.
  • Reply 80 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laughingboy View Post

As impressive as 3D flyover, or 45 degree visualization is, how really useful is it?

I've been using this feature on the Google Maps web site (which has had it for almost a year now) pretty extensively. It's very useful for me when house-hunting for a new house, along with Google Street it allows me to get a good look at the house and neighborhood I might be interested in from various perspectives. I can see whether the neighbors are hoarders, resolution is often good enough to tell how good the roof is and what it's made out of (tile, wood shake, shingle, metal), and then I can drop down to street level and see whether the surrounding houses are in good condition with neat lawns and the cars parked in the driveways and along the streets are well maintained and relatively new, or whether it's an utter ghetto. I just checked my new Samsung Galaxy SIII that replaced my iPhone 4, and it appears Google *has* implemented this, sort of, in their new Google Maps for Android. But as usual with Google, the user interface is terrible (you have to hit the little "target" on the screen until it flips into angle view, then swivel the picture by twirling two fingers until it has the perspective you want). I just went and looked at the new iOS5 map on my iPad for my neighborhood, and compared to the Google map it is... odd. It shows two cars in my driveway, for example, but I only have one car. Both cars (and all the cars in all the driveways for that matter) look weirdly deformed, one looks like a pile of junk even.  And I know when the photo was taken and that it was when I lived in this place because it was taken during the time between when the television tower fell on the roof of my house, and when it was removed. (Said tower was just a steel pole with a bunch of aluminum tubes on the top so didn't go thru the roof, but it was a rather large assemblage of tubes and wires on the roof for some months while the best way of removing it was investigated). Uhm, yeah. I think Apple needs to do a bit more work with their data provider on this one. (Google, of course, is their own data provider -- they quit using TeleNav for their imagery long ago).