Google Maps adds new 45-degree satellite imagery to take on Apple's Flyover

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As Apple apologized on Friday for subpar performance of its new iOS 6 Maps application, Google introduced a new feature that competes with Apple's Flyover: 45-degree satellite images.

The new angled satellite images are now available in 37 U.S. and 14 international locations. Unlike Apple's Flyover in iOS 6 Maps, the images cannot be rendered in three dimensions, but they do allow a better look at satellite imagery from a new angle.

In one example posted to the company's official blog, Google showed a picture of Italy's Leaning Tower of Pisa captured from the new 45-degree angle and in higher resolution.

Apple has pushed its own 3D recreations of major cities, a feature called Flyover as one of the hallmark features of its new iOS 6 Maps. Apple's new mapping solution for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch replaced the previous version of the software which relied on Google's data.

Google's new 45-degree satellite imagery in select cities arrives the same day that Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook publicly apologized for the Maps application in iOS 6. The CEO not only acknowledged "the frustration this has caused our customers," but also recommended a slew of competing applications customers can use as Apple continues to improve its Maps application. Among those recommended by Cook was the Web version of Google Maps.

The full list of U.S. cities with Google's new 45-degree satellite imagery are:
  • Ames, Iowa
  • Anderson, Ind.
  • Billings, Mont.
  • Bloomington, Ill.
  • Carmel Valley, Calif.
  • Cedar Rapids, Iowa
  • Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
  • Corvallis, Oreg.
  • Danville, Ill.
  • Dayton, Ohio
  • Detroit, Mich.
  • Dubuque, Iowa
  • Elizabethtown, Ken.
  • Enid, Okla.
  • Florence, S.C.
  • Grand Forks, N.D.
  • Great Falls, Mont
  • Gulfport, Miss
  • Hartford, Conn.
  • Kankakee, Ill
  • Kenosha, Wis.
  • Lafayette, Ind.
  • Lancaster, Calif.
  • Lansing, Mich
  • Lewiston, Ind.
  • Los Banos, Calif.
  • Madison, Wis.
  • Medford, Oreg.
  • Michigan City, Ind.
  • Olympia, Wash.
  • Pocatello, Idaho
  • Sheboygan, Wis.
  • Sioux City, Iowa
  • Sioux Falls, S.D.
  • South Bend, Ind.
  • Terre Haute, IN; Utica, N.Y.
The following international cities also have the 45-degree imagery:
  • Angers, France
  • Clermont-Ferrand, France
  • Coimbra, Portugal
  • Dijon, France
  • Grenoble, France
  • Livorno, Italy
  • Lyon, France
  • Newcastle, United Kingdom
  • Oberhausen, Germany
  • Palermo, Italy
  • Pisa, Italy
  • Toulouse, France
  • Troyes, France
  • Winnipeg, Canada
Google has also updated some locations with new high-resolution aerial imagery. The following cities have the new enhanced pictures:
  • Florence, Ore.
  • Kellogg, Ind.
  • Casper, Wyo.
  • North Platte, Neb.
  • Concordia, Kans.
  • Alva, Okla.
  • Austin, Tex.
  • Nevada, Missou.
  • Chilicothe, Missou.
  • Toulouse, France
  • Clermont-Ferrand, France
  • Angers, France
  • Nantes, France
  • Troyes, France
  • Lille, France
  • Thun, Switzerland
  • Lucca, Italy
And finally, the following areas have also been updated with new high-resolution satellite imagery: Canada, United States, Mexico, Cuba, Jamaica, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil, Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay, Uruguay, Argentina, Antarctica, South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Madagascar, Zambia, Angola, Malawi, Tanzania, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kenya, Somalia, Ethiopia, South Sudan, Sudan, Uganda, Central African Republic, Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad, Niger, Benin, Ghana, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Mali, The Gambia, Senegal, Mauritania, Western Sahara, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Turkey, Iran, Ireland, Norway, Sweden, Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Poland, Lithuania, Finland, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, Romania, Hungary, Austria, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Greece, Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzebekistan, Turkmenistan, China, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Thailand, Nepal, Bhutan, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, Korea, Japan, Mongolia, The Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia, and New Zealand.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81

All right, what joke is there for this? Ah, I'll let others have fun with that.

• Reply 2 of 81

Meh....

• Reply 3 of 81
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    They can add gold leaf to the edges it doesn't matter. Apple are not going back and Google knows iOS has virtually the entire mobile web market sewn up. Those latest numbers showing Android tablets with less than 2% market share of web traffic are also seen by Google's advertising clients. iPhones make up a massive market share as hardware but again in terms of web traffic they swamp Android phones. Google are facing massive losses in revenue. Apple will improve their maps fast.
  • Reply 4 of 81
    It's free and doesn't force anyone to use it so can't complain, but the initial US locations seem off the beaten path for many/most. Almost the exact opposite of the kinds of cities that fly-over works for so far.
  • Reply 5 of 81

This has actually been active over my house (Toulouse France) for some time although the tiles are scattered all over 2012 some bits are from April/May and others around August.

Looks like they have been working on this for a bit.  I would not call this 45 degree satellite images though.  These are almost certainly taken from a helicopter or plane.

• Reply 5 of 81
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View PostGoogle are facing massive losses in revenue.

... someday in the future unless they develop (if they haven't already) an effective mobile plan that relies very little on Apple's cooperation.

For now any loss of revenue's from Google' Maps not being the default on iOS devices is probably a minor blip and all but unnoticeable in the big picture. The total revenue from ALL Google services on iOS are estimated to contribute just 2.5% of Google overall revenues, and maps is is just a percentage of that 2.5%. IMO it's unlikely to be more than a few hundred million if the estimates of iOS contributions were correct.

• Reply 7 of 81
    As impressive as 3D flyover, or 45 degree visualization is, how really useful is it?

Don't me wrong, I find it technically fascinating. 10 years ago if you told me I could have high resolution 3D views of portions of the earth, in my own handheld, for "free" I would have laughed at you.

Other than to demonstrate technical capability and to impress, how would you make use of it?

Streetview is useful for the final stages of navigation, but this?
  • Reply 8 of 81

LOL...

What about 33 degrees.  and 50, 66, 75?

Forget it.  I'll stick with Apple Maps on my iOS devices thank you.

• Reply 9 of 81

I can't describe the thrill of finally having

Google's new 45-degree satellite imagery

for Los Banos, CA!!!!

Google really hit it out of the park this time time!

Nailed it!

Epic win!

This definitely necessitates another Tim Cook apology!!!!

Just can't see Apple recovering from this anytime soon :-(

• Reply 10 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

... someday in the future unless they develop (if they haven't already) an effective mobile plan that relies very little on Apple's cooperation.

For now any loss of revenue's from Google' Maps not being the default on iOS devices is probably a minor blip and all but unnoticeable in the big picture. The total revenue from ALL Google services on iOS are estimated to contribute just 2.5% of Google overall revenues, and maps is is just a percentage of that 2.5%. IMO it's unlikely to be more than a few hundred million if the estimates of iOS contributions were correct.

of course you have a source for this.

• Reply 11 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Google are facing massive losses in revenue.

LOL. I will have whatever you're smoking. image

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/google-heads-for-biggest-quarterly-rally-in-7-years-20120928-00525

• Reply 12 of 81

duplicate

• Reply 13 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Bing Maps had something a lot like this about five years ago. Google finally gets around to offering it now?
  • Reply 14 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

of course you have a source for this.

Well of course I do. Are you new to the forums? image

FWIW I did misstate the percentage tho. iPhone and iPad users aren't estimated to contribute 2.5% of Google's revenues this year.

It's only 2%.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/06/07/iphone-and-ipad-to-account-for-2-of-googles-2012-revenue/

• Reply 15 of 81
    They said they loved all their customers yet Google maps for iOS was never updated with any significant features in 5 years.. OTOH, Android saw frequent updates. Screw this and screw street view. It's Apple maps all the way for me. And I at least know it will receive regular updates.
  • Reply 16 of 81

Are the 45 degree images able to accessed by mobile users? I'm also confused by the list of cities. I have noticed the 45 degree images in many other cities in the past such as Dallas, Austin, Norman (OK). I'm assuming those are just the newly added cities for 45 degree images?

• Reply 17 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Well of course I do. Are you new to the forums? image

FWIW I did misstate the percentage tho. iPhone and iPad users aren't estimated to contribute 2.5% of Google's revenues this year.

It's only 2%.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/06/07/iphone-and-ipad-to-account-for-2-of-googles-2012-revenue/

Q: Why compare Google's iOS mobile revenue to its entire business rather than Android?

A: Because you know iOS generates more for Google than Android does. You might as well say that Google is just going to give up on Android because it doesn't matter to the company financially. And yet, the loss of GMaps on iOS means +100 million users just left and are not coming back. 

• Reply 18 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

I can't describe the thrill of finally having

Google's new 45-degree satellite imagery

for Los Banos, CA!!!!

Google really hit it out of the park this time time!

Nailed it!

Epic win!

This definitely necessitates another Tim Cook apology!!!!

Just can't see Apple recovering from this anytime soon :-(

Is that Los Banos or Los Baños? I'm not sure I'd want to live in the latter, LOL

• Reply 19 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

They said they loved all their customers yet Google maps for iOS was never updated with any significant features in 5 years.. OTOH, Android saw frequent updates. Screw this and screw street view. It's Apple maps all the way for me. And I at least know it will receive regular updates.

How many times do you need to be told Apple was in charge for Maps for iOS. Don't blame Google, they did not write the app, merely provided the API for the information. When Apple asked for the other features, like turn by turn, negotiations broke down between the two and Apple went their own way. That simple.

And actually Apple is still using Google Maps partly. Share a pin on your iPhone and click it in Messages on OSX and see where it immediately goes. 

• Reply 20 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Q: Why compare Google's iOS mobile revenue to its entire business rather than Android?

A: Because you know iOS generates more for Google than Android does. You might as well say that Google is just going to give up on Android because it doesn't matter to the company financially. And yet, the loss of GMaps on iOS means +100 million users just left and are not coming back. 

The comment I made is because the OP (post 4) suggested there's massive losses to Google revenues that are attributable to the removal of Google Maps as the iOS default. Are you saying you agree with him?