Apple iPad dominates tablet-based web browsing with 98% share, report says

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    "Interestingly, the Kindle Fire has seen a bump in web content engagement, as users spend 79 percent more time per page visit compared to iPad users."

Probably because the touch interface gets stuck and these people take longer to get the information they are looking for. And the iPad users are satisfied and done with the webpages quicker.
  • Reply 62 of 80

"98.1 percent of 29.5 million unique impressions ..."

The conclusion from the study should be that the iPad owners wasted much more time on the internet than people who owned other tablet brands.

• Reply 63 of 80

Originally Posted by EddE View Post

"98.1 percent of 29.5 million unique impressions ..."

The conclusion from the study should be that the iPad owners wasted much more time on the internet than people who owned other tablet brands.

What's that? A tablet computer is being used for the purpose for which it was designed? 

Holy frick, what a revelation.

• Reply 64 of 80
    This article fails to emphasize that the study focuses SOLELY on sites using the Onswipe platform.... Onswipe states that sites using its platform are optimized only for the iPad (their original focus), iPhone (recent), Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire (also recent, and two much newer devices).

Any other mobile device which visits an Onswipe site, per this link from Onswipe (http://support.onswipe.com/customer/portal/articles/736304-supported-devices), visitors on any other mobile device are redirected back to the desktop version of the OnSwipe-enabled site. Evidently there isn't a responsive layout on these sites anymore.

I used my stable of devices (laptop, iPhone 4s, iPad2, Galaxy Note) to see what it was like visiting some Onswipe-enabled sites. Onswipe doesn't list its clients, nor the sites used in the study. http://trends.builtwith.com/topsites/onswipe lists a few that supposedly use Onswipe. In each case, Onswipe sites dumped the Note back to the desktop site. Www. elite.com dumped my iPhone back to the desktop site as well. Evidently the site has to be upgraded to support the newer devices. With no other mobile layout available, content does not reflow on a screen. I'm back to "enlarge to get it to where I can read it, then scroll like mad horizontally."

How long do you think I'll spend on these sites if I'm not on the iPad? Let alone try to click on an ad or buy something?

Even when optimized for the iPhone, it's not the best on that device. One story fills an entire screen, and there is no quick overview of the site available, no main menu available. Ads appear briefly at the bottom of stories. Again, not surprising, I am not likely to spend much time on that site.

Basically, Onswipe knocks sites back to the pre-mobile days for anyone not on an iPad. Not surprising that those sites get mostly traffic from...iPads.

I can't find a copy of the study, and so we don't know what sites were used. Onswipe does not list its clients on its own site, other than one case study for Cycleworld. Some search showed some: not unknowns, but not "biggies": geek.com; extremetech.com. Rawstory.com; elitedaily.com, alternet.org, marieclaire.com. These aren't the heavy hitters of the web, folks.

This is not a study comparing web traffic of mobile devices across a representative selection of websites, optimized for all platforms. Instead, it shows that mobile devices visiting a site which does not offer them a mobile experience don't linger longer. As Onswipe makes a living by persuading online content publishers to use its product (it was originally for online magazines, newssites, and bloggers), one might suspect they designed the study to "prove" to potential clients that they won't miss out on much traffic if they go with Onswipe.

I'd look at other sources for data about mobile browsing.
  • Reply 65 of 80
    This study says a lot less than the headline implies. The statistic isn't 98% of web browsing, it's 98% of the sites using the Onswipe platform. Come on, guys.

Two mintues of internet search skills reveal this:

http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os-ww-monthly-201108-201208
  • Reply 66 of 80

Multi post. You saw nothing.

• Reply 67 of 80

Originally Posted by chocolatejesus View Post

Two mintues of internet search skills reveal this:

http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os-ww-monthly-201108-201208

How is this chart useful in rebutting what is said by the article?

• Reply 68 of 80
    koopkoop Posts: 337member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

Whoa, step back a little bit.  Most people who buy non-iPads probably buy them as a device dedicated to one or two purposes, and can thus justify the limited functionality of their lower priced device.  That does not make them idiots.  Maybe they are strapped for cash, so what?  I see a lot of the "wealthier" iOS6 users on this site complaining about a free maps app like someone stole their car.  Suggest to them to buy one of the non-free navigation apps and see who's cheaper.  I have no problems with people debating the worth of one  product versus another, but don't insult people.  

This.

Take into account the marketing of the Kindle Fire and the expectations users have of the device, most people are just engaged in the Amazon ecosystem with light web browsing. I watched the entire Kindle HD presentation with Jeff Bezo's and he didn't want bother to show off or really mention the web browsing on the device. It's simply not a concern for Amazon or their customers.

In terms of other tablets, Apple holds a strong lead because to be honest, other Android tablets are kinda bad. I would bet most Android tablet customers are heavily engaged in the Android world and have probably rooted, flashed and adblocked their systems by now. iPad on the other hand, is just really good and web browsing is very responsive and similar to a desktop experience. That will probably change down the road with Win 8 tablets, Jellybean Tablets etc etc.

In terms of phones it's hard to deduce anything. (there's no chart I see). Android owns the lower end of the market (free smartphones, $100 or less smartphones) and I bet a good chunk of Android's base is not as engaged as iPhone users who typically have a rounded understanding of their device. As someone who has owned Android phones and iPhones I can assure you the browsing is just as good on them as mobile Safari, there's no key ingredient missing outside the customer habits.

But yeah, stop pretending Apple users are the arian race and every other platform is below you. Makes me want to sell my iPad and my iPhone. I was hesitant to buy those products in the first place because the community that surrounds them is so full of themselves.

• Reply 69 of 80
    Hate to hear that statistic, it will give ammunition to the providers to discriminate. Those like AT&T (the suckiest of them), will continue to bump their rates or "put a governor" on their existing users speed or quality of use. I've still got one of the original "unlimited plans," but will immediately switch when they slash my unlimited plan.
  • Reply 70 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How is this chart useful in rebutting what is said by the article?

What is said by the article, or what is implied by it? The headline is misleading. It gives the impression that a study was done on tablet web browsing without specifying that the study was extremely narrow and limited to a single, relatively new content platform. The article grabs eyes by implying that 98% of tablet web browsing is done by the iPad. The study being referenced by the article simply doesn't support the claims implied by the article, not to mention the explicit claims present in the comments.

The chart is useful in getting a real idea about where mobile OS adoption % sits.

• Reply 71 of 80

What is said by the article, or what is implied by it?

That the iPad is, far and away, the tablet being used.

The headline is misleading. It gives the impression that a study was done on tablet web browsing without specifying that the study was extremely narrow and limited to a single, relatively new content platform.

Then, in your rebuttal of the article, you should have linked to use data about tablets. "iOS vs. Android" is completely useless here.

• Reply 72 of 80

Quote:

That the iPad is, far and away, the tablet being used.

Whether that's true or not isn't the issue I have here. The study referenced in the article does not remotely prove your statement. What the study shows is that the iPad is far and away the tablet being used to browse Onswipe sites. Trying to interpret that to mean that the iPad is far and away the tablet most used to browse the internet in general is disingenuous at best. Apple products are, for the most part, fantastic. They don't need misleading headlines to convince anyone of that, the devices stand for themselves.

I'm not anti apple, I'm anti fallacy.

• Reply 73 of 80

Quote:

Then, in your rebuttal of the article, you should have linked to use data about tablets. "iOS vs. Android" is completely useless here.

Ok.

Tablet Market Share Trends

• Reply 74 of 80

Originally Posted by chocolatejesus View Post

What the study shows is that the iPad is far and away the tablet being used to browse Onswipe sites.

I agree with the point you're making here, but they DO say that.

Ok.

Tablet Market Share Trends

Right, and that's shipped. That's also specifically what these other studies are ignoring. No one cares how many are sitting in warehouses; we want to see what is actually being used.

• Reply 75 of 80

Quote:

Right, and that's shipped. That's also specifically what these other studies are ignoring. No one cares how many are sitting in warehouses; we want to see what is actually being used.

I do too! How can we see what is actually being used? That is an article I'd like to read. This one doesn't answer that. If I did a study that showed 99% of people preferred Chocolate Ice Cream, then revealed that the people I studied were all shoppers at the Chocolate Ice Cream Store... how would that go over?

Please forgive my use of analogy, I know it's dangerous on the internet.

• Reply 76 of 80
    [RIGHT]Exactly. If you believe those numbers there's a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.[/RIGHT]
  • Reply 77 of 80

Originally Posted by alain64 View Post

Exactly. If you believe those numbers there's a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.

If you can disprove them in any way, that'd be great, too.

• Reply 78 of 80

Quote:

If you can disprove them in any way, that'd be great, too.

Its not about disproving it.  If they say their study shows 98% iPad usage, I believe them.  However, as with any statistic you have to put it in context, and the context hear means there is going to be a natural bias towards iPad use.

The article headline should read: Apple iPad dominates tablet-based web browsing with 98% share on sites primarily optimised for iPads

Can you seriously not see that Onswipe have a vested interest in this statistic being seen to be as high as possible?

• Reply 79 of 80

Originally Posted by reefoid View Post

Can you seriously not see that Onswipe have a vested interest in this statistic being seen to be as high as possible?

Yes, but that's not really relevant to the point of a full picture of useshare. 

And as Onswipe is also used cross-platform, it would make sense to have a sampling of which sites we're talking about here. 

• Reply 80 of 80
    [B][I]The referenced study does have limitations; however, the study does provide additional insight into the [S]tablet[/S] iPad market.[/I][/B]

"During the company's conference call, Google's new chief executive Larry Page noted a "run rate" of $2.5 billion in annual mobile revenues (income derived from Android, iOS, and other platforms), growth of about 2.5 times the company's 2010 mobile revenues, but a tiny fraction of the revenues Apple is generating as a hardware maker." (1)

"While Google's chief executive Larry Page recently described an $2.5 billion annual run rate for the company's mobile revenues, the company has testified that it has earned less than $550 million from Android across four years from 2008 to 2011." (2)

"Apple iPad takes 95% of all tablet web traffic" (3)

"Apple's iOS takes 65% mobile browser share in June, Android at 20%" (4)

Apple iOS web browser market share 291% of Google Android (5)

"iOS dominates mobile shopping with 92% of market" (6)

"80% of Good Technology enterprise activations are Apple's iPhone, iPad" (7)

"iPad takes 96% of tablets, iPhone 53% of phones in Good mobile enterprise study" (8)

"Apple dominating Android with 84 percent of mobile gaming revenue" (9)

1. Daniel Eran Dilger. Published 13 October 2011. [URL=http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/10/13/google_announces_nearly_10_billion_in_quarterly_revenue_little_mention_of_android/]Google announces nearly $10 billion in quarterly revenue, little mention of Android[/URL]. [I]Apple Insider[/I]. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
    2. Daniel Eran Dilger. Published 29 March 2012. [URL=http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/03/29/google_earns_80_of_its_mobile_revenue_from_ios_just_20_from_android.html]Google earns 80% of its mobile revenue from iOS, just 20% from Android[/URL]. [I]Apple Insider[/I]. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
    3. No author provided. Published 4 May 2012. [URL=http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/04/apple_ipad_takes_95_of_all_tablet_web_traffic.html]Apple iPad takes 95% of all tablet web traffic[/URL]. [I]Apple Insider[/I]. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
    4. No author provided. Published 2 July 2012. [URL=http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/02/apples_ios_takes_65_mobile_browser_share_in_june_android_at_20.html]Apple's iOS takes 65% mobile browser share in June, Android at 20%[/URL]. [I]Apple Insider[/I]. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
    5. August 2012. [URL=http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php?year=2012&month=8]Global Web Stats[/URL]. [I]W3Counter[/I]. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
    6. Mikey Campbell. Published 23 December 2011. [URL=http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/12/23/ios_dominates_mobile_shopping_with_92_of_market.html]iOS dominates mobile shopping with 92% of market[/URL]. [I] Apple Insider[/I]. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
    7. No author provided. 26 April 2012. [URL=http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/04/26/80_of_good_technology_enterprise_activations_are_apples_iphone_ipad.html]80% of Good Technology enterprise activations are Apple's iPhone, iPad. Apple Insider[/URL]. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
    8. Daniel Eran Dilger. 25 January 2012. [URL=http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/01/25/ipad_takes_96_of_tablets_iphone_53_of_phones_in_good_mobile_enterprise_study_.html]iPad takes 96% of tablets, iPhone 53% of phones in Good mobile enterprise study[/URL]. [I]Apple Insider[/I]. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
    8. Meghan Kelly. 6 May 2012. [URL=http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/06/mobile-gaming-revenue-apple/]Apple dominating Android with 84 percent of mobile gaming revenue[/URL]. [I]Venture Beat[/I]. Retrieved 30 September 2012.

TLDR:

95% of [S]tablet[/S] iPad market share is from Apple iOS
    92% of mobile commerce is from Apple iOS
    84% of mobile gaming revenue is from Apple iOS
    80% of Google mobile revenues are (were) generated through Apple products
    80% of secure mobile enterprise activations are from Apple iOS

[I][B]WTF do all those Android devices do? Doorstops? Paperweights?[/B][/I]