Microsoft begins guerrilla marketing campaign for Surface near Chicago Apple Store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 91

Is Microsoft a startup run by a group of 19-year old frat brothers? 

• Reply 42 of 91

Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

Let it go guys. Without a decent competitor, the iPad you all LOVE so much would literally be the same 10 years from now.

Just stop talking now.

• Reply 43 of 91
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

Which explains why in airports and business lounges you see people typing on iPads with bluetooth keyboards...

I use an Apple wireless keyboard mostly with my Macs, but I sometimes pair it with an iPad also. I don't have an issue with keyboards, I was commenting on the puke worthy colors. My Apple keyboard is clean and I can actually make out the keys on it. The same cannot be said of those MS keyboards.

• Reply 44 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Proof?

You sure you're not looking across the street by chance?

It does rotate you know.

Proof?  Are you really that lazy... or don't you know how to use Street View.

I wish you'd rotate... outta here.

• Reply 45 of 91
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member

I have no problem with them advertising their product.  But its always a little creepy how they follow Apple so closely.  Opening an Microsoft store, right beside an Apple store.  Or taking out full page ads showing a 1vs1 comparison of their phone vs the iPhone.  

Microsoft & Samsung are both acting like that annoying ex that just wont leave you alone.  You've been there, done that before.. and you've just moved on.  But they wont stop calling, emailing, texting, facebooking.. and how your new boo is worse than they are.  They are constantly popping up by surprise, in places where you least suspect.. and comparing themselves to what is new in your life.

When are they gonna get they gonna get the point, people have moved on?  And they dont want to "try again, to work things out".

• Reply 46 of 91
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Thanks- the next time I fly over it I'll be sure to look for it.

Your point? It gives a much better sense of where the hell the location is than a screenshot with no context, which doesn't clearly show road intersections etc.

And seriously, you're the very textbook definition of a troll. Someone who comes into every thread, regardless of the topic, and parrots the same damned issue, hoping to stir the discussion away from the topic at hand and into the shitter. You bring maps/streetview into every fucking thread. This should be a ban-worthy activity, if this forum had any moderation at all. You never bring any type of constructive or insightful discussion about the topic at hand, and your posts are solely composed of drive-by trolling, and snide/sarcastic comments- again, about something irrelevant to the thread. It's despicable, and I wonder what personal issues you have in your own life as to derive such obvious enjoyment out of this and to put so much effort into it. Whatever they are, maybe you should deal with them instead of trolling this forum to mask them. 

• Reply 47 of 91
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    All good harmless fun.

So is the ad campaign.
  • Reply 48 of 91
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    slurpy wrote: »
    And seriously, you're the very textbook definition of a troll. Someone who comes into every thread, regardless of the topic, and parrots the same damned issue, hoping to stir the discussion away from the topic at hand and into the shitter. You bring maps/streetview into every fucking thread. This should be a ban-worthy activity, if this forum had any moderation at all. You never bring any type of constructive or insightful discussion about the topic at hand, and your posts are solely composed of drive-by trolling, and snide/sarcastic comments- again, about something irrelevant to the thread. It's despicable, and I wonder what personal issues you have in your own life as to derive such obvious enjoyment out of this and to put so much effort into it. Whatever they are, maybe you should deal with them instead of trolling this forum to mask them. 

Seriously? You need an anger management app as that's totally uncalled for and disturbing.
  • Reply 49 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Your point? It gives a much better sense of where the hell the location is than a screenshot with no context, which doesn't clearly show road intersections etc.

I went away for a while because of the steady increase in trolls. AI has improved greatly but it's obvious they still support a few trolls. AI really doesn't need the click bait so I'm not sure why it is tolerated.

Anyway... I brought it on myself by replying to this twit.

Good luck!

The Surface? Ha! I'll see it when I believe it.

• Reply 50 of 91
    Stop responding to the trolls.
  • Reply 51 of 91
    atashiatashi Posts: 59member

Microsoft should have come to me to talk advertising. With a name like Surface, you gotta use....

Submarines!

Or am I the only one who hears Surface and thinks about submarines?

• Reply 52 of 91
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    OK, I'll admit it. Spending all my life in rural America, I was intreagued with this inner-city minimalist marketing approach. It got my attention. But then I read the copy and it seems to be another in a continuing saga of typical vaporware/hype majorcrap AND they themselves are making the hardware. That killed any and all interest. Next thing will be Surfaces drunk and lying with a gutter in it's face surrounded by a chalk outline.
  • Reply 53 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atashi View Post

Or am I the only one who hears Surface and thinks about submarines?

I wonder whether it'll sink or swim, or be a floater and eventually get flushed.
  • Reply 54 of 91
    Surface: a PC in post-PC clothing...
  • Reply 55 of 91
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Too late, MS.

It was *already* too late when you launched WP7 two years ago. 

• Reply 56 of 91
    malax wrote: »
    "The product is particularly compelling because Microsoft has designed and built the hardware itself, rather than allowing its partners to create devices as it has done in the traditional Windows PC space."

I don't think the word "compelling" means what you think it does.

I'm sure the first version Surface will be just as reliable as the first gen XBox360.
  • Reply 57 of 91
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    luxom3 wrote: »
    Let it go guys. Without a decent competitor, the iPad you all LOVE so much would literally be the same 10 years from now.
    We NEED competition in the marketplace. With over $100B in the bank, do you think Apple is REALLY motivated to make new products?
    Or just milk existing "safe" ones?

An awesome Surface tablet means an awesome iPad down the road. It's THAT simple guys.

LOL.

Do the smallest amount of research and you'll discover how wrong you are.

So in the past decade or so, Apple created:

The iMac (redefining what a computer could look like)
    MAC OS X (redefining the operating system)
    Apple stores (redefining the retail experience)
    The iPod (redefining the MP3 music player)
    Saved the legal music industry
    The Nano
    The iPhone (redefining the mobile phone)
    The MacBook Air (redefining the portable computer)
    and the iPad (redefining the tablet market)

...and this all occurred during Microsoft's 'lost decade' where, despite still not being successful in most of those categories today, and despite only having produced three successful products (the Xbox, a bug fix for Vista - Win 7, and the Kinnect) , Microsoft are apparently what are driving Apple to get off their asses?

You've got me convinced.
  • Reply 58 of 91
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Dang - I thought that meant to suggest they were giving hand jobs to anyone who bought the product.

• Reply 59 of 91
    gtr wrote: »
    LOL.
    Do the smallest amount of research and you'll discover how wrong you are.
    So in the past decade or so, Apple created:
    The iMac (redefining what a computer could look like)
    MAC OS X (redefining the operating system)
    Apple stores (redefining the retail experience)
    The iPod (redefining the MP3 music player)
    Saved the legal music industry
    The Nano
    The iPhone (redefining the mobile phone)
    The MacBook Air (redefining the portable computer)
    and the iPad (redefining the tablet market)
    ...and this all occurred during Microsoft's 'lost decade' where, despite still not being successful in most of those categories today, and despite only having produced three successful products (the Xbox, a bug fix for Vista - Win 7, and the Kinnect) , Microsoft are apparently what are driving Apple to get off their asses?
    You've got me convinced.
    They will make new products but without competition they won't update the existing ones.

Like in your list. iMac has basically been the same for 5 years, for a long time updating iPods was essentially introducing colour versions then black and white versions then colour then black and white etc, iPad 3 isn't exactly different to iPad 1, iPhones get the most minimal update each year.
  • Reply 60 of 91
    I kinda like the ads. There simple and are clearly aimed at showing off the unique feature of the keyboard. It's good to see them going at a different angle than apple with the iPad.