Rumor: Apple looking into using carbon fiber in 'completely different' way than usual

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    hill60 wrote: »
    No it's for the upcoming flying cars that will link into iOS 6 maps, when the true purpose of flyover will be revealed.

That was a pretty chitty joke. ;-)
  • Reply 42 of 48

I was wondering if anyone know if carbon fiber dissipates heat well enough for a laptop?

• Reply 43 of 48
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Most probably.

They use that stuff in race car engine bays.

And let's not forget Acer's little foray into brand name laptops with carbon-fiber components: the Acer Ferrari:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/14174/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

I used to own one of those pre-Apple. Not a bad laptop, and very fast.

Why don't I own Acer any more?

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/14175/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Probably their attention to detail...
  • Reply 44 of 48
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    This thread is full of win.
  • Reply 45 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

Edison was a Capitalistic pig.

If he had his way and still alive, our phones would be single use so we would have to buy a new one every time they ran out of juice.

If Edison wasn't in the way, Tesla's inventions would have revolutionized the world and the "World of Tomorrow" that was featured at World Expos would have looked antique compared to his stuff.

Edison's been out of the way for a long time, and Tesla left behind a lot of research.  What's the hold up now?  

• Reply 46 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Edison's been out of the way for a long time, and Tesla left behind a lot of research.  What's the hold up now?  

Perhaps Tesla's stuff is so efficient that corporations would rather keep making money off the old stuff?

Perhaps no one has been able to think enough like Tesla to make his designs usable?

Tons of potential reasons why.

• Reply 47 of 48
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Just found out they could use Carbomite (from one of my favorite Star Trek 1964 episodes  "The Carbomite Maneuver"). Close enough.

Corbomite not Carbomite.

If you're going to be a nerdy geek at least get it right. image

• Reply 48 of 48

I hope so. Where is this the write up then?