Comments

• Reply 21 of 114
    Guys, don't feed the troll.
  • Reply 22 of 114
    $249 is the sweet spot
  • Reply 23 of 114
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    mcrs wrote: »
    So, you're ready to become a bottom feeder now huh Apple? 

Try this if you want to dominate some of the "growing markets".... 

7" No Name chinese-made Android Tablets:

USD 80 for 8 GB Wifi Only 
    USD 125 for 16GB Wifi Only
    USD 150  for 16GB plus cellular

Have you tried one? Are they any good? What version of Android do they run? If it's just eWaste then it's not really a savings. iDevices easily last a long time. My iPhone 3G still works fine. My mom uses her 3G every day. It sounds like Tallest still uses an original iPhone. I just don't see those bargain obscure brand products holding up like that.

Tell me again why these same people who loves buying cheapo tablets would actually buy a Kotex Minipad, I meant.., Ipad mini? 

Making fun of the product name is so two years ago. If you want people think you're emotionally stable and thus willing to consider your argument, it's best to let things like that go.

-The hardware? The same crappy screen with underpowered CPU sans the sd memory slots? I don't think so. 
    -The I-tune and Apps advantage? Please..., Android already has tons of apps available.
    -The Price? Are you kidding me? 

In many parts of the world with big populations, such as China, India, Indonesia. Apple's marketshare is in low single digit at best. For a company touting the "other markets" such as China for its future growth, it will only mean trouble ahead...

Being in the single digits isn't such a terrible thing. Macs have been single digits, and are still in many places. Cutting your margins and cutting too many corners on quality to make double digits in a budget-conscious market is the way to financial trouble.
  • Reply 24 of 114

Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Guys, don't feed the troll.

Which one… 

• Reply 25 of 114

Apple users will pay whatever their master decrees and wait in line for the privilege ..

• Reply 26 of 114
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    zod buster wrote: »
    Apple users will pay whatever their master decrees and wait in line for the privilege ..

And you've never even wondered why purchasers of competing products won't???
  • Reply 27 of 114

Originally Posted by mcrs 

-The hardware? The same crappy screen with underpowered CPU sans the sd memory slots? I don't think so. 

-The I-tune and Apps advantage? Please..., Android already has tons of apps available.

-The Price? Are you kidding me? 

Yea, because people have hated the iPad specs, app advantage and pricing for so long. That's why nobody ever buys iPads. On the other hand, Android tablets have been flying off the shelves.

Originally Posted by mcrs 

In many parts of the world with big populations, such as China, India, Indonesia. Apple's marketshare is in low single digit at best. For a company touting the "other markets" such as China for its future growth, it will only mean trouble ahead...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/10/19/largest-apple-store-in-asia-opens-to-huge-crowd

Yep, sure looks like trouble ahead. Apple is definitely doomed!

• Reply 28 of 114

Good points, thanks!

• Reply 29 of 114
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    What is this GF Ditto technology that it seems only Mr. Kuo is talking about since August 31?

I haven't found anything on it that wasn't connected to him. Also, a three to five year lead seems a bit much. By then everyone will be using OLED or something else, except maybe for Apple.

An afterthought from left field: In the 3D trade, "GF" stands for "glasses-free," as in autostereoscopic, no-glasses-needed 3D screen technology. So far only Gadmei is making a glasses-free 3D tablet.
  • Reply 30 of 114
    stefstef Posts: 87member
    The iPad Mini is for kids and schools. The new iPod Touch spex may point to the iPad Mini spex and features. The Touch is now a lean and mean and green machine. So Apple has created space for the Touch when the Mini arrives. Best guess for the Mini is that it is stripped down for pricing: Lower screen resolution than the Touch, front side camera only, less memory, no siri, no passbook. But it will have a bigger screen than the Touch and all those 100Ks of apps and will sell for $200-250 to schools. So the Mini for school; the Touch for home. Adults at work can afford a full blown iPad, as sales demonstrate. Also the Mini will be lighter, brighter, thinner, faster and 100X more useful than the Fire or Nook. A $50 dif in price will mean nothing to all but the "anything but Apple" buyers.
  • Reply 31 of 114

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

...and the article would imply that Apple had no choice but to offer their own 'tweener size. Soon competitor's won't have any choice but to offer color options and more accessories. At some point Apple won't have any choice but to reduce entry prices. . . . and so it goes.

But if they reduce prices, then consumers will have no choice but to buy the products, then Apple will have no choice but to make more money, then technicians will have no choice but to spend this money on new technology then Apple will have no choice but to invent new groundbreaking products... and so we are right back where we started.

• Reply 32 of 114
    border="0"> ?
    Seriously?
    Have you not hear of CSS?
  • Reply 33 of 114
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    stef wrote: »
    The iPad Mini is for kids and schools. The new iPod Touch spex may point to the iPad Mini spex and features. The Touch is now a lean and mean and green machine. So Apple has created space for the Touch when the Mini arrives. Best guess for the Mini is that it is stripped down for pricing: Lower screen resolution than the Touch, front side camera only, less memory, no siri, no passbook. But it will have a bigger screen than the Touch and all those 100Ks of apps and will sell for $200-250 to schools. So the Mini for school; the Touch for home. Adults at work can afford a full blown iPad, as sales demonstrate. Also the Mini will be lighter, brighter, thinner, faster and 100X more useful than the Fire or Nook. A $50 dif in price will mean nothing to all but the "anything but Apple" buyers.

I agree with your general premise but I think it will have the same basic ASIC as the new iPod Touch, including the 512 MB RAM. Note the new Touch uses the A5 that the iPhone 4S had in 2011. To me that sounds perfect for this low-cost tablet from Apple.

Also, the rumoured resolution is 1024x768 with is more pixels than the new Touch even if just by a handful. I think it will have a rear-facing camera because there are cases for this (e.g.: insurance adjusters with company tablets -or- reading barcodes for spot checking retail inventory). For education they can always disable any HW easily and securely.

I also think it will have Siri. There is just too much to gain from having it. That too can be disabled as needed.

Passbook is more interesting. I can see a case for it but I think I can make a better argument against it so I'm going to say it won't be included.
  • Reply 34 of 114
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This sort of thinking is a mistake in my mind. I suspect we will see Apple redefine the market for this sized device. What Apple will do is to make the competition look cheap.

Beyond that the whole idea that iPads screen is perfect is bogus
    seanorse wrote: »
    Chasing the cheaper tablets worries me. They have the pad with the perfect size screen. Whats next, a disposable iPhone?
  • Reply 35 of 114
    The KGI analyst's claims that Apple's iPad Mini technology will give it a 3-5 year lead on the competition seems to show a stunning ignorance of technology. When Steve Jobs made such claims, you could chalk it up to spin, but when an analyst makes such claims, you've got to wonder what he's been analyzing.
  • Reply 36 of 114
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsimpsen View Post

When Steve Jobs made such claims, you could chalk it up to spin, but when an analyst makes such claims, you've got to wonder what he's been analyzing.

Not at all.

When Steve Jobs stood there on stage, presenting the iPhone to the world for the first time ever, and claimed that it was years ahead of the competition, it turned out to be true. 

• Reply 37 of 114
    wizard69 wrote: »
    This sort of thinking is a mistake in my mind. I suspect we will see Apple redefine the market for this sized device. What Apple will do is to make the competition look cheap.

The rumoured iPad mini will have about 40% more screen area as these other tablets. If you do a side-by-side of the Nexus 7 and iPad mini you may easily say that it's worth an extra $50 just for the extra size even without considering the OS, ecosystem, support and other aspects that help make Apple's device so popular.

PS: I finally got my hands on a Kindle Paperwhite. This is the first Kindle eReader that was of any real interest to me. Before the Paperwhite I hated the dark grey text on light grey. My problem with the Paperwhite is that it's so small. It's display are is only 17.29 inches whereas the proposed iPad mini is 29.60 inches square. For me that's a deal breaker even though I finally like the look of an eReader.
  • Reply 38 of 114
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

16:9 Android tablets don't sell well, hardly anybody wants them, besides a few desperately poor people and a handful of Apple haters. Consumers are flocking to the 4:3 iPad. Your comment is bogus.

• Reply 39 of 114
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/153588/ipad-mini-to-give-apple-tech-advantage-protect-mobile-device-marketshare#post_2215502"]
    16:9 Android tablets don't sell well, hardly anybody wants them, besides a few desperately poor people and a handful of Apple haters. Consumers are flocking to the 4:3 iPad. Your comment is bogus.

I don't understand your hatred for people who are less affluent than you or who don't see the direct value with more expensive CE.
  • Reply 40 of 114
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,230member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

But if they reduce prices, then consumers will have no choice but to buy the products, then Apple will have no choice but to make more money, then technicians will have no choice but to spend this money on new technology then Apple will have no choice but to invent new groundbreaking products... and so we are right back where we started.

...there you go!