Evernote 5 for Mac to offer revamped OS X style UI, new features

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

No kidding.  I can't believe people still trust putting their private/personal data in the cloud.  Almost as stupid as posting it on facebook (but not quite).

Folks, it's not just about not losing it, it's about losing control of it.  You can prevent data loss by maintaining a copy (or two) separately from your main storage.  But when you start putting your data out on other people's servers, it will eventually be misappropriated.  It might be next week, next month, next year, or 10 years from now, but you're virtually guaranteed that at some point your data will either be lost, corrupted, or misappropriated.  

For the smart people who encrypt their data before sending it out from your own box, even then, unless you constantly update your encryption methods used on those files, they will become easily visible over time.  Look at the story about how the mighty Google itself was hacked because they apparently don't understand this: http://www.businessinsider.com/a-mathematician-hacked-into-google-because-he-thought-it-was-part-of-a-job-interview-2012-10 .  If they don't get it right, how many other web sites do you think get it?  Actually, once you upload those files, you can't really even "fix" things by updating the encryption over time because they have the original files forever, backed up.  If they're not actively available on a running server, that's much better, of course, but the point is, when you push personal data to the cloud, it's never "safe".

With all due respect, you lose credibility whenever you cite Business Insider.

• Reply 22 of 26
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

It's about time.  There are too many designers who treat the Mac like it's Windows.  That being said...  I don't use Evernote.  I use Simplenote for iOS and the fantastic Notational Velocity on my Mac.

• Reply 23 of 26
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

With all due respect, you lose credibility whenever you cite Business Insider.

That's just silliness.  I cited the first link that popped up when I searched.  Here, knock yourself out:

How a Google Headhunter's E-Mail Unraveled a Massive Net - Wired

Mathematician Assumes Sergey Brin's Identity, Spoofs Larry Page ...

Google Headhunter's Recruitment Email Reveals Huge Email ...

Mathematician Discovers Weak Cryptographic Key In Google E-mail ...

Mathematician Impersonates Google Founder to Point Out DKIM ...

or find any of a hundred other media sources for this.  The facts behind the story are what they are regardless of the reporter.

• Reply 24 of 26

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    I wish they would improve the text editor across all platforms. It's clunky, especially compared to other text editors in iOS.

I only store things in Evernote. I don't edit them there.

Also, how about some proper rendering of captured web pages/articles. Most are jumbled and barely viewable.

So they prettied up the interface. Caught up to other's search capability. Big deal.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 25 of 26
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member

So Notes syncs across all my devices. Why do I need this? 

• Reply 26 of 26
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's still ugly, and it doesn't do iCloud so what's the point of using it at all?

Re ugly: no accounting for taste.  Re iCloud: this has been completely useless for me -- I use Dropbox and evernote (yes) heavily.