Apple clarifies Thunderbolt Display will not daisy chain Cinema Display

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28

Originally Posted by Euthenics View Post

Does that mean one could still connect the Dell 27-inch to the new Mac Mini's Thunderbolt port but using the Display Port to Mini Display Port adapter?

I don't think you know what you're taking about. Heck, I don't know what you're talking about.

Mind elaborating?

Originally Posted by Garrudae View Post

It can be used on a pc, but you cannot alter things like the brightness etc.

Sure you can.

I would think the speakers/webcam will work fine on a pc.

Exactly? JUST like the brightness?

Just you will need to setup the brightness on a mac then hook it up to your pc.

Why the heck would you ever think that?

The new one will require a thunderbolt port so will not work at all yet.

Except it can carry the video over Mini DisplayPort if you plug it in.

• Reply 22 of 28

...so, if I buy a new (unreleased 2012 iMac), I can run my 2010 cinema display? My understanding is that it will simply need to tie into the miniport of the iMac. Currently I have a macpro running two monitors.

• Reply 23 of 28

Originally Posted by BillyD View Post

...so, if I buy a new (unreleased 2012 iMac), I can run my 2010 cinema display? My understanding is that it will simply need to tie into the miniport of the iMac. Currently I have a macpro running two monitors.

Sure thing. And even another display of any kind, as it has two Thunderbolt ports.

• Reply 24 of 28
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member

I have a MBP retina with an attached Thunderbolt display.  Daisy chained of that I have a Western Digital raid and daisy chained off that I have a 30" Cinema display.   The whole thing works just fine.   You cannot daisy chain the Cinema display directly off the Thunderbolt display, but once removed is no problem.

• Reply 25 of 28

Hiro,

Thanks for the information!

So you configuration was:

MBP >> TB >> Apple Thunderbolt Display >> TB >> RAID >> MiniDisplayport >> Cinema Display

I'm trying to get my Wacom Cintiq 24HD Touch to play well with my Apple Thunderboldt Display, so maybe this will work?

MacBook Air  >> TB >> Apple Thunderbolt Display >> TB >> RAID >> MiniDisplayport >> Wacom Cintiq

Will try something like that out and let you know!

M.

• Reply 26 of 28

Ok, I'm answering my own question for posterity's sake, the following configuration seems to work fine:

MBA or MBP (w/ Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB RAM) > Thunderbolt Display > LaCie Little Big Disk > Wacom Cintiq HD Touch (via MiniDisplayPort)

I haven't used the configuration extensively, just swapped computers around the office and found these two configs seem to work. There may be gotchas. I have to go buy a Little Big Disk and swap out my laptop for an updated model and give it a run.

Hope this helps someone out there! Thanks again to Hiro for shedding some light on the right path!

M.

• Reply 27 of 28

Well at least that was nice and clear. It was a bit confusing before.

[url=http://www.saleuggbootsstore.com]Ugg Sale UK[/url]

[url=http://www.saleuggbootsstore.com/ugg-boots-ugg-shanleigh-c-4_10.html]Ugg Shanleigh[/url]

[url=http://www.saleuggbootsstore.com/ugg-boots-ugg-sheepskin-cuff-c-4_11.html]Ugg Sheepskin Cuff[/url]

[url=http://www.saleuggbootsstore.com/ugg-boots-ugg-warm-c-4_12.html]Ugg Warm Boots[/url] I wonder if third party TB port hubs (when they finally become available) may alter this inability to use an older screen in the chain.

• Reply 28 of 28

I haven't used the configuration extensively, just swapped computers around the office and found these two configs seem to work. There may be gotchas. I have to go buy a Little Big Disk and swap out my laptop for an updated model and give it a run.Ugg Sale UK
    Ugg Shanleigh
    Ugg Sheepskin Cuff
    Ugg Warm Boots