Apple to distribute another $2.5 billion to shareholders via Thursday dividend

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    middleguy wrote: »
    This is crazy. Do not burn money. I'm very disappointed with Tim Cook. They should use the money to innovate the products. Apple even could build a huge factory in the USA with $2.5 billions.

well, if you consider the dividend "throw-away" money, then yes after a year of dividends (if they are quarterly)
    apple could have a factory in the usa. so i wonder if every single usa apple stock owner would give up their dividienf so that a usa factory could be made... (what is the percentage of usa apple stock holders)...
    and if the usa stock holders will not Unanimously give up their stock dividends, then that will be a "the-people-have-spoken" Justification for not making apple products in the US...
  • Reply 22 of 27

As for stock price, everyone could see when this thing broke minimal support, the shorty hedge funds jumped on this thing big time.  The negative articles started spewing out non-stop.  Everyone is eyeing the $520-530ish level for support.  They are pounding it until then to make money.  Once that hits, and if we get agreement on the fiscal cliff, the stock will make a strong comeback.  I bought in at $50 years back.  Long and strong.

• Reply 23 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiddleGuy View Post

This is crazy. Do not burn money. I'm very disappointed with Tim Cook. They should use the money to innovate the products. Apple even could build a huge factory in the USA with $2.5 billions.

There are many problems with the ways companies practice business today, but the lack of dividend paying by many very successful companies is a root cause of many of these issues.  Corporations focus entirely too much on just having a quarterly report "good enough" to promote a run-up in the stock price.  This means that they manipulate the media to produce good news.  This is a big part of why we have so much vaporware.

In a good and proper world of investing, there would be reason to simply buy and hold stocks and depend on them to provide reliable dividend income.

Of course part of the problem is the tax code, capital gains are taxed lower than dividends in general, so it's in your interest to make money based on buying and selling rather than owning a piece of a company that is truly doing well.

• Reply 24 of 27

Aapl off almost 30% since peak.

• Reply 25 of 27
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiddleGuy View Post

Keeping amounts on hand that outweigh their needs that many times over is even dumber. This isn't an either or thing. They can pretty much invest in whatever they want at this point. Paying a dividend is only a portion of it. Type C corporations can actually be penalized for holding too much cash with no real purpose via AET assessment. This would apply to straight cash, not assets/investments. Anyway they're way way over their operating expenses.

• Reply 26 of 27
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I think that the dividend is a bunch of crap. When the dividend was first announced a while back, I wrote that I wasn't sure if it was a good idea, and it certainly didn't make AAPL more attractive to me. If I'm buying into AAPL, I'm doing it because I believe in the company and the products, not because of some shitty, little dividend.

Who gives two shits about a lousy $2.65 per share? Just today the stock went down $11.26, the dividend doesn't mean crap. I also think that the dividend announcement was a sign of weakness from Apple, as Apple had been doing just fine without any dividends. And if Apple were first to give out a dividend, it should be much higher than a lousy $2.65 per share. Either give some decent percentage, or don't give anything at all. I'd prefer zero compared to what the dividend is today.

I also read all these great things when the dividend was first announced about how hedgefunds and other firms were going to start buying more into AAPL now, because of that dividend. That also turned out to be a bunch of crap predictions.

• Reply 27 of 27
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcdinkins View Post

As for stock price, everyone could see when this thing broke minimal support, the shorty hedge funds jumped on this thing big time.  The negative articles started spewing out non-stop.  Everyone is eyeing the $520-530ish level for support.  They are pounding it until then to make money.  Once that hits, and if we get agreement on the fiscal cliff, the stock will make a strong comeback.  I bought in at $50 years back.  Long and strong.

Thats some of it, the rest is the capital gains in the US.