iOS 6 on iPod Touch 4G

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

I own a 4G iPod Touch.  iOS 6 is available for download today.  However, I am holding back a few days before I decide whether or not to install it.  I was wondering if any iPod Touch users have installed it yet and if there have been any issues that have showed up on your particular machine, such as battery consumption, wifi, etc.  Also, does it seem to be a worthwhile update based on how it works on your unit?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12

Yeah, there's a Wi-Fi bug that some users have that is easily fixed. It's very probably just a "servers overloaded" type of bug, too.

• Reply 2 of 12

Uh, I've had it in beta since 1. And, um, it sucks. Don't upgrade. Not worth it. In fact, it is better to spend the zero on an iPhone 4 with contract than to buy iPod touches for years because they are originally dumbed down so in a year they are completely outdated.

• Reply 3 of 12

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Uh, I've had it in beta since 1. And, um, it sucks. Don't upgrade. Not worth it. In fact, it is better to spend the zero on an iPhone 4 with contract than to buy iPod touches for years because they are originally dumbed down so in a year they are completely outdated.

I think that's just a step beyond that type of sarcasm. It's impossible to discern unless we know the history of the person.

• Reply 4 of 12

Do I always have to read a lecture on how bad iPod Touches are in this forum?  There are scads of editorial comments in these forums on how iPod Touches are poor cousins to iPhones and that nobody should buy one.  I just asked about iOS 6.  iOS 5 works fine on mine right now, so I won't switch if I don't think it is worth my while, so thanks for the heads up on iOS 6.

BTW, I don't have a data plan and I don't want one right now.  I am happy with the Touch that I have.  It may have cost $400 for the 64 GB model that I have (of course I got it for Christmas which made it way cheaper), but I pay ZERO dollars per month for a data plan and ZERO dollars for the privlege of having a smart phone on the Verizon network, so over time I will be way ahead on cost.  I have a separate cheap cell phone that takes care of my calls.

One more thing I have to say about iPod Touch bashing, or any other product bashing for that matter.  Apple makes iPhones, iPods, and iPads and sells all of them.  There is a model for every need and every price range.  The markets are different and the needs are different.  One person's crappy choice is another persons prized possession.  And yeah, all electronic devices get obsolete gradually over time.  But that doesn't mean my one-year old device doesn't still work for me and hopefully meets my needs for a period of several years.  I am in my 50's ( I don't fit the stereotypical youth market for an iPod Touch), and I have lived thorugh the PC era from the very beginning back in the late 70's.  None of this is new, just the devices have changed.

• Reply 5 of 12

I agree whole heartedly. Does the Iphone look cool? Would I prefer to actually have one over my ipod touch? Absolutely, but not enough to warrant paying a monthly fee to have the thing. I have WiFi at home, WiFi at school, and WiFi at work. Why do I need a data plan? If the device is WiFi capable, I shouldn't have to use the network. Just like it is for non-smart phones. Anyway, back on topic. iOS 6 will probably not be a very good upgrade for us. The best features seem to not be available. Siri (which based on what I've heard from other people is not that great) is only available on the 5g as well as the panorama. Turn-by-turn (for obvious reasons) is not available for the 5g either. It looks like iOS 5 will be the last good one.

• Reply 6 of 12

Hello. Just wondering... how did they fix that issue. I'm having it right now with my wifi network. I have to connect manually every time instead of it remembering the wifi network. Cheers.

• Reply 7 of 12
    In my experience of having iOS 6 on my iPod touch 4 (8g) its been ok but certainly not the best. Some of the issues ive been having is that apple store kicks me out after a while of using it. Then i have to restart my ipod to get it to work again. Secondly i find it slower then before when i had iOS 5.0.1 and when im on the homescreen it tends to lag and not let me scrool to the next page of apps. Overall i didnt like iOS 6 very much becuse it didnt really change much and made my ipod very slow and glitchy if your thinking if updating dont do it.

Thanks for reading :)
  • Reply 8 of 12
    No nothing happens.I own an iPod touch black 4g 8gb and I updated it to iOS 6
    There are new features and stunning graphics but not panorama.
    It's the best and it removes any types of bugs and is 10 times faster
    Than the iOS 5 ????????????????????????
  • Reply 9 of 12
    If you can't get a data plan, get an iPod touch 5. It's actually good.
  • Reply 10 of 12

how do you download ios 6 to your ipod...

• Reply 11 of 12

how do you download ios 6 to your ipod 

• Reply 12 of 12

Originally Posted by Steve Gregory View Post

how do you download ios 6 to your ipod 

Crap, what is it, Settings/General/Software Update? And then follow the instructions.

Or do it in iTunes on your computer.