iMac locks up on startup

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've got an iMac DV running 9.1. About a week ago the problem started: Every time I start up the computer it freezes for just under 15 minutes. The cursor will still move, but you can't do anything else, and the menu clock stays frozen. Aproximately 14 minutes and 35 seconds later (yes, the timing is consistent) everything returns to normal. The only problem exists upon startup. I ran NSW and NAV and didn't find any problems. I've tried almost everything I can think of and nothing has worked. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Check your extensions, have you installed anything recently? Go into the extensions manager and switch to "Mac OS 9.1 Base" and restart. If the problem doesn't happen then, go through and check off ones that look strange one at a time until you figure out which one's bad.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Inside your "System Folder" is a folder named "Servers".

Throw out the contents of your Servers folder and restart.

Hope this helps.

AllInOne
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Thanks AllInOne, that did the trick. I had tried everything I could think of. What causes the issue? I determined that it was related to the OT extensions, but I couldn't exactly get rid of those. Anyway, thanks again.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    [quote]What causes the issue?[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

The iMac was looking for servers on the network that at one time it was supposed to mount on start up. If you are on a different network or the servers are down it can't find them; but it doesn't give up easily. It can only look for one server at a time and it looks for each one for a while before it times out and goes on to the next one.

It's a common problem.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Though that that might be the problem (the old computer I had it networked to is on it's way out and file sharing went kaput), but I couldn't figure out how to remedy it. Good that now I know. :-)