Black Friday sales of Windows notebooks down 10%, Apple's MacBooks stay flat

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

MacBook sales are flat and that means Apple is doomed like a shark that can't survive unless swimming forward.  I sense another Apple downgrade coming as it loses market share to Samsung and Android.  Wall Street's attitude is that if you're not number one in market share, you're just another failing company.  We well know that Apple doesn't have what it takes to be number one in market share in a world of dirt-cheap Android smartphones and tablets.  Only market leaders are given high P/Es and Apple's P/E is that of a third-string tech company.  Wall Street really doesn't like to count tablets because it might indicate that Apple could be worth something as a company.  The whole computer industry game is to devalue Apple as much as possible by scaring investors away.  The Android platform could be considered one of the worst financial models around, but Wall Street will give it credence because of those high market share numbers.  When millions of Android devices are activated daily it must be a good thing for somebody, at least in theory.

Or Apple could just keep raking in billions of dollars every quarter like they have been for years.

• Reply 22 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In an article about… traditional computers…

"Oh, no! From this manifest of fishing off the Grand Banks, I can't see how many toasters were sold by LG! They must not have sold very well…"

Isn't it funny though that they include Android tablets in the report... but specifically exclude iPad, Kindle and MS Surface.

WTF!??

• Reply 23 of 56

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

MacBook sales are flat and that means Apple is doomed like a shark that can't survive unless swimming forward.  I sense another Apple downgrade coming as it loses market share to Samsung and Android.  Wall Street's attitude is that if you're not number one in market share, you're just another failing company.  We well know that Apple doesn't have what it takes to be number one in market share in a world of dirt-cheap Android smartphones and tablets.  Only market leaders are given high P/Es and Apple's P/E is that of a third-string tech company.  Wall Street really doesn't like to count tablets because it might indicate that Apple could be worth something as a company.  The whole computer industry game is to devalue Apple as much as possible by scaring investors away.  The Android platform could be considered one of the worst financial models around, but Wall Street will give it credence because of those high market share numbers.  When millions of Android devices are activated daily it must be a good thing for somebody, at least in theory.

Anyone who uses "Apple is doomed" in a serious context has instantaneously invalidated his own point.

• Reply 24 of 56
    Just how do they come by these numbers for Apple since they don't release them? Sounds more like FUD to me.
  • Reply 25 of 56

Quote:

Anyone who uses "Apple is doomed" in a serious context has instantaneously invalidated his own point.

It is called sarcasm.

• Reply 26 of 56

Originally Posted by roontoon View Post

It is called sarcasm.

Then he needs to mark it as such.

But I really don't think it is.

• Reply 27 of 56
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Isn't it funny though that they include Android tablets in the report... but specifically exclude iPad, Kindle and MS Surface.

WTF!??

because they can't get any product sales stats from Apple, Amazon, and MS. citing only what is sold by other retailers would omit too much.

• Reply 28 of 56
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

once again, as always, bear in mind that NPD survey "data" is only partial, at best. at worst, it's crap. because NPD has no access to Apple sales information. this "weekly tracking report" about Black Friday does not make clear if they are including Apple store computer/laptop sales at all. if they are, then they are just guessing. if not, there could be a significant difference in fact.

we'll have to wait until late january to get the real facts about Apple products - from Apple. never NPD.

• Reply 29 of 56
    umrk_lab wrote: »

This does not contradict what I pointed out : OEM will gradually abandon Windows, but at the same time Windows users will also look at alternatives, the Mac being one of them, but not the only one (especially for low end notebooks, where saving the cost of Microsoft royalty can be a way to cut costs).

I am not convinced OEMs have that much freedom. In theory, they could adopt Linux, but in practice, the consumer/IT have shown little interest in Linux. That low end Linux notebook experiment you a talking about was tried already. It was called "Netbook." Between Apple's iPad and Microsoft's emergency downmarket-ing of Windows (i.e., Windows Starter Edition), the Netbook experiment failed to take off. Sure, Google is trying to revive the idea by calling it Chromebook, but that's just new rainbow-colored wallpaper over the same idea.
  • Reply 30 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

because they can't get any product sales stats from Apple, Amazon, and MS. citing only what is sold by other retailers would omit too much.

Sales stats from Samsung?

Har!

• Reply 31 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

The fact that there is no mention of iPad or iPhone numbers, I find rather concerning.

In an article about… traditional computers…

"Oh, no! From this manifest of fishing off the Grand Banks, I can't see how many toasters were sold by LG! They must not have sold very well…"

Wow, TS did you misplace your brain?  Who gives a damn about "the article"? I was talking about the report SITED in the article. (unless on the other hand the report actually DID report on iPad and iPhone numbers, and then AI just decided... "meh, why include that information; how is that relevant to anything". That would be pretty neglegent on AIs part, so I doubt that that was the case.

You do get points. however, for drawing the worst analogy I think I've ever heard.

• Reply 32 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

WTF!??

No one cares that Mac sales have been flat. In fact flat is a good sign considering the recent iOS devices recently released. Apple doesn't section off a part of the store and stock it up with Mac devices they stack it up with iOS devices. Now when the report comes out on tablet devices then the numbers will give a full picture. Same withe iPhone numbers.

If it wasn't for iOS devices Apple could very well we out of business by now, Microsoft could very well go out of business one day because it can not create a tablet or Windows phone that can even compete in the market.

Microsoft is even having problems with Office sales and the reality is the Xbox can not save the company. The true problem is the current CEO but I don't see that changing anytime soon.

With regards to Android I still don't understand what the hell Google is doing with that product. You would think with the money Google has they would have figured out a way to actually create a good ecosystem. Maybe they are happy just being in the collecting private data business.

• Reply 33 of 56
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Re: "NPD's tracking of consumer electronics excludes Apple's iPad, as well as Kindle products, Microsoft Surface, mobile phones and video games."

Not tracking iPad? Well there's your problem.
  • Reply 34 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I am not convinced OEMs have that much freedom. In theory, they could adopt Linux, but in practice, the consumer/IT have shown little interest in Linux. That low end Linux notebook experiment you a talking about was tried already. It was called "Netbook." Between Apple's iPad and Microsoft's emergency downmarket-ing of Windows (i.e., Windows Starter Edition), the Netbook experiment failed to take off. Sure, Google is trying to revive the idea by calling it Chromebook, but that's just new rainbow-colored wallpaper over the same idea.

Dell re-enters high-end Linux laptop market with Red Hat Enterprise Linux

Summary: UPDATED: Through the years, Dell has had an on-and-off relation with Linux. It looks like they’ve kissed and made up, judging by the pair of new high-end laptops running Red Hat Enterprise that Dell unveiled today. These systems will be available worldwide.

Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols

By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols for Linux and Open Source |

July 25, 2012 -- 16:48 GMT (18:48 CEST)

Dell-RHEL

Dell has blown hot and cold on the Linux desktop over the years. Dell was the first major original equipment manufacturer (OEM) to offer consumer Linux desktops in 2007, while  Ubuntu Linux-powered laptops  have often only been available from Dell by special order, Dell is recommitting itself to desktop Linux.  Besides the upcoming 'Sputnik' Ubuntu Linux developer laptop, Dell is now offering two new high-end mobile workstations with Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 6 for Desktops

Dell claims the two new systems -- the Dell Precision M4700 and M6700 -- are the "world's most powerful 15-inch and 17-inch mobile workstations." Citation needed, perhaps, but on the face of it do have a good aesthetic quality about them. 

Both models come with the latest Intel Core i5, i7 and Extreme Edition processors with Turbo Boost Technology, and a range of graphics cards including NVIDIA's Quadro K-series GPUS and AMD FirePro graphics. The top of the line M6700 also offers AMD FirePro M6000 with PCIe x16 Gen 3 for fast data throughput. With any of these you can get up to high-definition 1920x1080-pixel resolution.

You can cram as much as 32GBs of DDR3 SDRAM and up to 16GBs of 1866MHz memory for high performance and fast access to large data sets. For permanent storage, you can get 512GB solid-state drive (SSD), a 256GB SSD, or a 750GB hard drive. You can put up to three storage devices in the M4700 and four in the M6700, meaning for enough money you can have to 1.8TBs in the former and up to 2.8TBs of total storage in the latter. Dell, for one PC maker, clearly still believes in local PC storage instead of cloud computing.

On both systems, the I/O ports include two USB 3.0, two USB 2.0 and one eSATA / USB combo ports and three integrated video ports: VGA, HDMI and DisplayPort 1.2.

What about Ubuntu Linux on Dell? You can still order it in some countries and, of course, Ubuntu 12.04 will be on the Sputnik.

Dell is currently selling Ubuntu powered laptops in China and India retail stores. In the States and most other countries, you'll need to special order Ubuntu laptops. Dell, Lenovo, and HP all have many systems, which have been certified with Ubuntu. 

Dell has informed me that the RHEL-powered workstations will be available throughout the world. The audience for these systems will be  developers and engineers with the deep pockets needed to spend $1,649 for the Dell Precision M4700, $2,199 for the M6700 and $3,579 for the M6700 with all the trimmings,

• Reply 35 of 56
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member

Microsoft is doomed, spread the the word please - Perception IS Reality - aka. def:  Trancendental Realism (Rudolph Steiner)

• Reply 36 of 56
    charlituna wrote: »
    More interesting is that Apple stayed flat with barely any discounts but many Windows machines were knocked way down and sales were less.

It probably means Windows notebook shoppers are more price sensitive. If the average notebook went for $369, it sounds like the average Black Friday notebook went for either $299 or $399. In other words: bottom of the plastic barrel.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

IT I might disagree with you. But the average Joe Consumer pretty much. That group, which is the major money making target, is too into the GUI at this point. They aren't likely to go back to command line even if it is better. So for an OEM to snag them, they would have to make a GUI for the system. One that is just as easy to learn as Windows/Mac. And without the copycat accusations that might blog them up with lawsuits (or license the heck out of things). Who is going to bother with that much work when they can just use Windows. 

And on the consumer front it is unlikely that they would go for this new system when they have Windows that everyone knows or Mac which Apple teaches via workshops etc. Or even just their ipad cause that's all the computer they need and that was 'childs play' to learn. 

• Reply 38 of 56

Quote:

It probably means Windows notebook shoppers are more price sensitive. 

Or Black Friday ones are. In fact I would say that that is a given. it's the nature of Black Friday after all. Which is part of why MacBooks with basically no discount staying flat while the generally discount shopper friendly Windows notebooks fell is so interesting. 

• Reply 39 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Wow, TS did you misplace your brain?  Who gives a damn about "the article"? I was talking about the report SITED in the article. (unless on the other hand the report actually DID report on iPad and iPhone numbers, and then AI just decided... "meh, why include that information; how is that relevant to anything". That would be pretty neglegent on AIs part, so I doubt that that was the case.

You do get points. however, for drawing the worst analogy I think I've ever heard.

TS isn't always my fav guy in the world and often I think he speaks before thinking but this time I have to back him. You replied in a comment thread about an AI article without specifying that you were talking about the source report. His reply was based on what you did say,  not what you didn't that we should be able to figure out without any clues. So your dig is way out of line. If anyone misplaced a brain it was you for not going back and seeing that you didn't say 'in the source report' (or something to that effect) in the original comment. 

• Reply 40 of 56

Dear God who cares... A day where people run each over and pull guns on each other. Yah !!!!! What a great fucking day...