Apple updates iWork for iOS and Mac, brings tighter integration with Microsoft products

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

I don't think iOS fully supports hyphenation or ligatures, yet, does it? So it would be very surprising if Pages did. Remember, iOS is not OS X, it's a subset.

My guess is Apple is trying to get feature parity of iWork on iOS and OS X, and only then can they use the same file formats and have seamless use of iCloud.

Once that's done, *then* I think we'll see iWork '13, with new features. Hopefully, it'll be a doozy.

I doubt there will ever be feature parity between the OS X and the iOS version. I would already be happy if the iOS apps would preserve those document attributes that they don't understand (as QuickOffice etc. do with MS Office documents).

My guess is that there will be new file format in the next version of iWork that makes it easier to achieve compatibility in iOS. That will then be iWork 13 (or whatever). It will also have some new features, but probably not the great overhaul many people here expect.

I think Apple has just given up to replace Office even on the Mac. So apart from Office compatibility they will rather add consumer-centric new features than all the pro features Office has (indexing, footnotes, etc.)

• Reply 22 of 28
    iWork is more than overdue for an update - Pages and Keynote are my main daily workhorses, Numbers is not that great (yet).
    Two of the most desired things for me are line numbering - I know the clumsy workaround, but this is not nice at all. Second, I really like to work with Pages in full-screen mode. Apple should make a real full-screen mode for Pages where tools are arranged in a senseful manner, like with e.g. iPhoto.
    Also they need to come up with a better iCloud integration. At current there are two parallel file systems which in the end is rather confusing.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is just sad IMO. After all this time and with all the missing features Pages for iOS has they issue this update just so that it can track changes? WTF?

College students rejoice! Everyone else is out in the cold again.

Feature parity with the OS-X version would be nice. If they keep this rate up, it will be at least three more years before the iOS version even edits OS X version files or has the same feature set. This is lame in the extreme.

Out of all the things that need fixing, this should be one of the *last* things on the list, not the first. I mean come on, it doesn't even do hyphenation and yet it's going for track changes? Argh!

until apple dumps ARM for iOS devices you will never get feature parity

Intel CPU's and 4GB of RAM is why you can have all the extra features on desktop computer

• Reply 24 of 28
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Wow, and here I was thinking good job Apple, giving us updates and not charging us for them.  I know the technology isn't there yet for an Arm CPU to be able to handle the same processing power as an Intel one, but it's good to see you haven't forgotten your office applications...

I guess I'm in the minority.

• Reply 25 of 28

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Something tells me that there won't be one. Or an iLife '13, '14 etc. Such a thing generally comes with having to pay again. Not very cx friendly when they could drop the yearly numbering, go for frequent, small updates and we never pay again.

I'd be fine with never paying for them ever again, but that also means we need more frequent, larger updates. Oh, and they need to dump the number after the product name, then. If they ever do that, your idea will have serious traction.

And what change would really warrant a new version anyway.

Apple is the master of proving this question foolish. 

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

until apple dumps ARM for iOS devices you will never get feature parity

Intel CPU's and 4GB of RAM is why you can have all the extra features on desktop computer

That makes no sense at all. Neither of those statements are correct.

Oh, and I believe Keynote got a new icon. I noticed a few pixels changed in the Dock, so I went to look at the full size icon. Changed from text to a chart. LET THE SPECULATION ABOUT FUTURE NUMBERS UPDATES BEGIN.

• Reply 26 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post

My guess is Apple is trying to get feature parity of iWork on iOS and OS X, and only then can they use the same file formats and have seamless use of iCloud.

If we're lucky, this is precisely one of Jony Ive's priorities as he addresses Apple's haphazard collection of human interfaces across Mac OS and iOS. I'm thinking the recent updates to Apple's software products, particularly iWork for iOS, are the last of Scott Forstall's influence on software being finalized and pushed out the door so Jony can start fresh when he begins cleaning up the look, feel, and function of both Mac OS and iOS in earnest. 

• Reply 27 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Just a teensy off-topic, but here's an idea that Apple should adopt for enterprise and education: An easy and straight-forward way to deliver internal company or institution specific applications to their employees and/or students. (I'm pretty sure Google won't object at all if Apple borrows the basics)

http://googleenterprise.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-new-way-to-distribute-your-internal.html

• Reply 28 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Just a teensy off-topic, but here's an idea that Apple should adopt for enterprise and education: An easy and straight-forward way to deliver internal company or institution specific applications to their employees and/or students. (I'm pretty sure Google won't object at all if Apple borrows the basics)

http://googleenterprise.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-new-way-to-distribute-your-internal.html

They already have an app for that https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apple-configurator/id434433123?mt=12