iMac Rev.A problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i've got a problem with my old iMac (Rev.A). When i used it for a long time a day (say 8 hours or more) the monitor began to flicker. sometimes the monitor even shut down for some seconds and came again. when i once restarted the imac, there was a spark noise and the computer now completely refuses to start up.

well, i'm on a pc of a buddy now, and i'm waiting for my new iMac G4, but it would really be nice if the old iMac would work again.

anyone knows this problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    It sounds like your analog av board may have gone. This is a common problem with first generation imacs. Search the MacNN forums for many reports of this. I think there is also an Apple TIL article on this. If the av board has gone the only way to bring your machine back to life is to replace the the whole motherboard.

Then again if i recall correctly when that board goes the computer still turns on, but the light simply glows amber. So maybe this isn't your problem.

Either way just consider yourself lucky that your new machine will be arriving soon. I'm running a Rev. D imac and it has to last me for about the next 18months before i get a new machine. <fingers crossed>

[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: Cosmo ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    aww man that sucks. not under warranty either.

unfortunately I don't know what it will cost to replace. it may be more sensible just to buy new or replace

I wish I had heard this earlier. I got an iMac analog board a few weeks ago. I don't know if it was functional but I know it isn't now.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    hey, thanks for your replies.

in this case i won't let repair the machine. would have been nice to have two machines in a network at home, the iMac Rev A still ran UnrealTournament quite well...

i'll take the harddrive out and try to make a backup on a G3 blue&white of a friend.

anyone interested in a "GameWizzard Voodoo2" graphics card or 160 Megs of 66Mhz-RAM?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by freeman:

<strong>hey, thanks for your replies.

in this case i won't let repair the machine. would have been nice to have two machines in a network at home, the iMac Rev A still ran UnrealTournament quite well...

i'll take the harddrive out and try to make a backup on a G3 blue&white of a friend.

anyone interested in a "GameWizzard Voodoo2" graphics card or 160 Megs of 66Mhz-RAM? </strong><hr></blockquote>

If you want to revive it, you may want to consider the HARMONi replacement board from Sonnet. I've heard good things about these, though I've yet to see one in action, or know if this will actually help. Anyway, they run $300 and that's with a G3 500 and firewire support. I'm not sure if it will know out your mezzanine (sp?) slot.

Hope this was helpful.

-CT
  • Reply 5 of 7
    thanks, cosmic trigger. but i think i would rather not buy this , because i don't need a 500Mhz in my old machine with slow RAM and a graphics card that maybe wouldn't fit.

in some weeks (ugh, Switzerland is far away from cupertino :eek: ) i'll have my new imac....i can't stand this f***ing PC i'm now writing this on.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Apple service repair manuals are floating around on the web.. grab one and if it is a common problem it will detail how to fix it. It may be a small inexpensive part or something. Anyway, do NOT buy parts fromk Apple, they'll rob you blind. Check for imac parts on google or something.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The analog AV board is a separate part I believe, and it's inside the bubble on the side. It's a beech to open the case though.