Mac Pro ICH

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

Digging deeper on the Mac Pro's architecture and bottlenecks I 'discovered' the I/O Controller Hub (shortly ICH).

I read that it maxes out at 660MB/s, though I can't find more information about Apple's southbridge.

Is there anyone here who knows more about it and could tell me where I can find more technical details about the ICH? Is it the same for all generations of Mac Pro?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
  • Reply 2 of 6

I've read it already long ago... No mention of the Mac Pro.

So apparently I'm not wise enough, that's why I ask it here...

Anyone who can provide me info about the ICH in the Mac Pro?

• Reply 3 of 6

Nobody who can answer?

• Reply 4 of 6
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    mathiasb wrote: »
    Nobody who can answer?

Seeing your name all over the places that one would search for this info I presume you already have read this, but in case not:

Enterprise Southbridge Interface (ESI)
    The North Bridge and South Bridge ICs are connected by an Enterprise Southbridge Interface (ESI) bus, a high-speed, bidirectional, point-to-point link supporting a thruput of 1 GBps in each direction.

But that info is from 2008 and from a retired doc, o no, I don't know for sure. Sorry 'bout that.
  • Reply 5 of 6

Thx, I've indeed asked this on other forums.

Theoretically (= following that document) should it reach up to 1GB/s, other report it practically goes up to 660MB/s, or 800MB/s.

So I really don't know what to follow...

• Reply 6 of 6
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    mathiasb wrote: »
    Thx, I've indeed asked this on other forums.

Theoretically (= following that document) should it reach up to 1GB/s, other report it practically goes up to 660MB/s, or 800MB/s.
    So I really don't know what to follow...

Mail the owner of this site: http://macperformanceguide.com

He's very kind, responsive and knows stuff like this. I wouldn't be surprised if he not only knows the answer, but can give you solid advise on how to configure your Mac Pro.