Apple may acquire crowd-sourced traffic and navigation service Waze

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    Waze has been acting whacked lately. It gives a route that is about 20-30 minutes longer than my regular route. Cross checking traffic on my regular route shows no delays. So I am at a loss to understand why Waze routes me around the long way as opposed to the shortest more efficient way.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member

I hope Apple doesn't buy Waze.  The best part of the app is that you get a head's up for police--and Apple will definitely kill that feature.  Waze is cool for the crowd sourcing aspect, but it had to mature just like every other GPS implementation.  For a few months, Waze wanted me to take an on-ramp that didn't exist.  Eventually it was fixed.  I have no big issue with Apple Maps, but those issues that I have noticed will be fixed over time.

I don't get why everyone conveniently forgets how crappy Google's mapping service was just 2 years ago.  I was driving through Mississippi once [just once] and it totally hosed me when it said that a Starbucks was in a residential area way off the interstate.  They all have to mature.

• Reply 23 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Waze has been acting whacked lately. It gives a route that is about 20-30 minutes longer than my regular route. Cross checking traffic on my regular route shows no delays. So I am at a loss to understand why Waze routes me around the long way as opposed to the shortest more efficient way.

It takes longer for a route to show clear than it does to show it congested. When Waze gets data that shows a route as congested and then other Waze users avoid it, and so Waze doesn't then get updated data showing that it's cleared up as quickly as the congestion data.

I've noticed several times on my "standard" route home that Waze sometimes shows reduced speed notices, which then disappear from the map after I go through at full speed.
  • Reply 24 of 24

Great. The least accurate maps app gets an assist from the 2nd least accurate. Perhaps in regions with relatively intelligent users, Waze is ok. Here in Florida, it's a joke. It's inaccuracy is close to 50% in my large metropolitan area.