Apple CEO Tim Cook meets with China Mobile, world's largest carrier

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Maybe Apple should make the iPhone free off-contract. Or maybe they should have a business model that works, since they'd not only lose billions, they couldn't make enough, destroying their reputation.

Maybe you should have read my whole post.

"It's not about market share and it's not about margins. It's about profit."

Giving the iphone away for free is not generating profit as we all know. So please stop acting like I said something like that. China has so many people that lessening the margin in order to reach more potential customers could work for Apple for their profit. That has nothing to do with selling your brand out with cheaper (plastic-toy) phones. Subsidized phones would be the easiest way to do this without even have the need to lessen the margins. And that's what I wrote in my first post.

If China Mobile isn't willing to subsidise the iPhone then Apple can go the way you suggest and have a relativly small percentage of the market (still much money though) or could create a new less expensive (but still awesome) phone or lessen the margin of the iphone 5 in order to get a little more percentage of the market in china.

It doesn't matter which way Apple will choose, they will do just fine.

• Reply 22 of 41

Cheap vs 'Lower' cost are different things.

See the iPod line.

Which, as a creative way of juicing an mp3 player to customers got Apple 70% of the market.

Apple can do the 'same' or 'similar' with the iPhone line.

Siri shuffle iPhone.

Nano iPhone

Normal iPhone...

iPhone 5 incher.

There's plenty.  Each serving a different need.

If you look at the current Nano iPod and retina iPod...you've got two of the best engineered products out there.  The ret' iPod is even better than the iPhone 5 in my view.  It's very svelte. 

If Apple wants world domination...it's up to them.

When I look at what they did with the iPod line...I'm left wondering what's taking them so long to emulate the same process with the iPhone.

We didn't just have 'one iPod' did we?  Apple buried their competition comprehensively by squeezing the oxygen out of their competitors.

They can do that with iPhone.

'Cheap' or lower cost products addressing specific markets the iPhone 5 won't reach.

We've had this argument before.  Yet we have a Mac Mini for £499 (when no Mac would ever be under £1k...yadda...) and we have an iPad for £399 when they were going to got '1k+' and we have the iPad Mini (they'll never, never etc...)  Yet we have an 'iPad' for £260+ish or whatever...

There's plenty of space.

If Apple can't make 'cheaper' phones for a teen/ipod market, who else can?  Just put a radio / phone transmitter in the iPod ret' line and you've got the slickest, trendiest multicoloured phone out there.

Add a 5+ version for 'embarrassingly large' people fans and you'll choke Samedung to death.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 23 of 41
    yaliyali Posts: 12member

test

• Reply 24 of 41
    yaliyali Posts: 12member

• Reply 25 of 41

Wow guys... so this is where the appleinsider-comedy Blog gets all its material from.

I got mailed the link and thought this was all made up, but you guys actually say this shit. There is an entire blog made out of your insane ramblings! Holy crap, you guys really are giving us a bad name in the world out there. 

• Reply 26 of 41
    jblongz wrote: »
    Why can't these billionaires fix their TEETH!?

Steve Jobs looked at him and saw the future of Apple.

You see bad teeth.

See the analogy?
  • Reply 27 of 41

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

See the analogy?

He's vain and Cook was one of the main arteries for Apple's future success.

That's almost poetic.

• Reply 28 of 41
    hwjunkie wrote: »
    Wow guys... so this is where the appleinsider-comedy Blog gets all its material from.

I got mailed the link and thought this was all made up, but you guys actually say this shit. There is an entire blog made out of your insane ramblings! Holy crap, you guys really are giving us a bad name in the world out there. 

Link? I'd like to read it.
  • Reply 29 of 41

Tim's visit in China just shows how much money are in the open for companies to grab. I also agree that once they break the ice properly in Asia, they are going to seriously bank. :)

• Reply 30 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I got this from work a while ago. I saw a bunch of them around a workstation, literally laughing their asses off. Yes, asses were lying on the floor. So I wanted to know what this is about, and found this. They were reading quotes aloud and laughing... and I laughed too, but then slowly started realising, where these quotes were from... geeeeeez.... 

Worst thing about all this: there was one Andorid guy, and four iPhone guys in that group, and having a blast reading some of the truely sick things some of the fanatics say here. And I've been back to that blog, some of you here, and espacially one of the mods, is providing a neverending stream of pure comedy fun to non-overfanatically-involved normal human beings. And I just hate that. People were speaking highly of this forum, but I read here, that so many forum members hate the turn this place took. Just hateful, angry fanatics that sound like every bit of critique, or every bit of little success that takes place outside an apple word, equals forceful hurting their families or taking food out of their children's mouths. 

long introduction, I know, but that is how much the existance of such a webpage angers me (or that it actually can exist, due to some users here). 

http://stuff-appletards-say.blogspot.ch/

The are adding update after update... and according to my friends at work, this page already has a huge following. People just like comedy I guess.

• Reply 31 of 41
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    hwjunkie wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »

Thank you. Not only for the link, but also your post. I agree that some people indeed come on very strong on blogs (not specifically here, but yes, here as well) and there isn't any need for that. We all ought to come together, as we're all in this, this what all connects us. Everything we do affects something, someone. Without wanting to turn this into a philosophical Kabbalah plea...

I think as a whole, this site provides useful posts. Also from mods, admins, but yes, unfortunately it also gets mixed with useless posts (also from me, though I do try to restrain myself). Sometimes it can get offensive, but that might be just at face value; sometimes it's just a way to express what somebody else might say, not necessarily what they think or mean to say. If a post comes across as "forceful hurting their families or taking food out of their children's mouths" then please remind yourself that it could also be written that way to try and make their point. A simple "you're an idiot, according to some' doesn't mean the poster thinks the other is an idiot - there's a world of difference if one understands how someone writes, not specifically what that person writes. Many geeky techies here, who think like SJ, in yes or no, black or white, 1 or 0.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a link to follow.

Thanks much.
  • Reply 32 of 41

Originally Posted by hwjunkie View Post

…and especially one of the mods…

Hey, I think this one was one of mine!

"'Apple needs...'

-I don't recall a time when someone has said this and been right."

I stand by it. *shrug* It's the truth.

A simple "you're an idiot, according to some' doesn't mean the poster thinks the other is an idiot…

Exactly; I specifically said that afterward. Really, it should have been evident I didn't think that….

I like how they've posted this:

"Android already has 5 TIMES the market share of the iPhone. That's a huge disparity.

But like I said... Android's numbers look great on paper... but they aren't the clear winner by any means."

As though it isn't true. But I suppose a site that calls people "Appletards" isn't looking to be anything remotely close to impartial or intelligent.

• Reply 33 of 41
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Funny to read a partial AI over that Google's Blogspot. I hoped there would be some sort of feedback as to why that site thinks a certain statement is incorrect or whatever in their view. But it looks like it's all Copy Paste. Which is fine for what it is, just expected it to give us something to talk about.

Yeah, that 'you're an idiot' thing; I think it was great. It is a thing so simple, yet not grasped by some I don't understand why I seem to get it and not others. One thing has to be said on that: the guy who reported that as offense was surprised that the report went straight to you, the original poster and was baffled by that. That, I do do understand, must've look completely stupid, considering you know.

Have a great Sunday! And keep the humor coming!
  • Reply 34 of 41

Quote:

long introduction, I know, but that is how much the existance of such a webpage angers me (or that it actually can exist, due to some users here). 

Wow! I mean, how sad must this persons life be to spend so much time gathering quotes of something he clearly just doesn't like?

I mean appletards? C'mon man! If you don't have anything better to do, then you should totally get a life!

Quote:

Funny to read a partial AI over that Google's Blogspot. I hoped there would be some sort of feedback as to why that site thinks a certain statement is incorrect or whatever in their view. But it looks like it's all Copy Paste. Which is fine for what it is, just expected it to give us something to talk about.

Well, I can see that a lot of quotes in that blog are missing respect. Respect to competition (Samsung, Google, Microsoft) or respect to other people.

Quote:

"You can see, though, that Samsung knows their market. Narcissists with no taste, smart-ass nerds, plagiarists, people with no ethics, who in turn don't expect any from their "Providers" because they don't know what ethics are."

Quote:

"Crossing over to the Dark Side means selling youself to an advertising machine, thus loss of integrity, or evidence that you never had integrity. ("I don't mind if Google mines my data, look what I'm getting for free!") Not to mention getting intimate with forms of plastic and ungodly extrusions that no one of taste would ever associate with."

I mean really? Is this how we show discuss things? Getting another Phone than the iPhone is crossing over to the dark side and show lack of integrity and ethics?

Quote:

But I suppose a site that calls people "Appletards" isn't looking to be anything remotely close to impartial or intelligent.

Although I'm really new here, I want to point out, that this is probably the first time we agree.

• Reply 35 of 41

Look at the new post. He knows that AI knows about the blog.

Quote:

It seems that  posts are getting deleted if they don't fit the common opinion. I don't have the posts, but if 'enature' reads this. Please put the post here as a comment.

Is it true that in this forum posts get deleted? That would be incredible!

enature?

Censorhip and Apple. They go hand in hand.

Quote:

But I suppose a site that calls people "Appletards" isn't looking to be anything remotely close to impartial or intelligent.

Maybe he is not impartial or intelligent in your opinion. But he definitely shows that Applefans are not either. Look at the quotes.

Look how almost religious those quotes are. Apple is always right. Every other company always wrong or worse copying holy Apple.

Is this really how you want to be known outside this forum? Religious apple fanatics?

• Reply 36 of 41

Maybe he is not impartial or intelligent in your opinion. But he definitely shows that Applefans are not either. Look at the quotes.

Look how almost religious those quotes are. Apple is always right. Every other company always wrong or worse copying holy Apple.

Is this really how you want to be known outside this forum? Religious apple fanatics?

Yes, let's take things out of context and claim the group that said them has a characteristic. That has always worked wonders in the past. 

No, there are no quotes, ¡, or "/s" in the above two sentences. If you think I actually need them, then what you're pretending to believe makes sense.

• Reply 37 of 41

Quote:

Who cares if there are some 'religious apple fanatics'?

There are probably also 'religious android fanatics'.

You find that everywhere. So stop acting like it's a huge deal.

Success always generates haters...

• Reply 38 of 41

Originally Posted by changeover View Post

There are probably also 'religious android fanatics'. You find that everywhere.

Mostly here.

• Reply 39 of 41
    Aren't you a little too sensitive? Of course there are people who have the opposite opinion than you, but that's the point of having an online forun, isn't it? Discussions with people on both sides. If everyone had the same opinion it would be boring.
  • Reply 40 of 41

Originally Posted by changeover View Post

Aren't you a little too sensitive? Of course there are people who have the opposite opinion than you, but that's the point of having an online forun, isn't it? Discussions with people on both sides. If everyone had the same opinion it would be boring.

I love how they always out themselves.