Merge Accounts & Passwords

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

For some reason, I have way too many Apple accounts and each has purchases and software and etc. on it.

Part of this is that when I try to log on, my password does not work.  Then I have to change it.  Works for a while, then not.

Apple Store

Icloud

Mt Lion

etc

If I try to log on with my main e-mail, I get that that email is already in use.  Then I have to create another email.  I don't want that many email accounts.

I have to log out of one & into another to make it work.

Also, I am forever having to change my passwords...  I write them down, but in just a few times, I have to FORGOT PASSWORD/  CHANGE PASSWORD.. VERY frustrating.  I have Government accounts that are way less problem.

Any suggestions on what is going on.???

Is there a way to consolidate all this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8

Dump all your accounts from the device, put 'em all back on one by one, starting with iCloud and working your way down, editing out autofilled accounts where applicable.

They should all work fine, provided you actually know the information for them.

If this is on an iDevice and all of these accounts work fine on the Mac with which it syncs, simply wipe the iDevice and freshly sync the accounts from the Mac via iTunes.

• Reply 2 of 8

Not sure I know what/how to dump accounts... On my Imac?  At Apple?

No matter if I log in on Imac, Macbook Pro, or Itouch- still have "fun".

• Reply 3 of 8

Originally Posted by TheMajor View Post

Not sure I know what/how to dump accounts... On my Imac?

Yes. Have all your logging information there handy next to you and simply log out of all of your accounts everywhere they log in (so the iCloud preference pane in System Preferences, your Mail accounts in System Preferences, the iTunes Store in iTunes… don't mess with your website passwords, of course).

Then, one by one, add them all back on. I don't know why there would be any sort of conflict at all. If there are any at all, it sounds like you've just forgotten a password along the way.

Are you trying to have multiple iCloud addresses on one user account?

• Reply 4 of 8

I would like to only have one account for all- Icloud, Apple, Itunes store and etc.

Possible?

If I open up a "new" account to start using, my purchases and etc will not show up.

As far as forgetting password- I have them written down in a binder.  Often, when I try to log in, it says password is bad.  After X-# tries, it forces, FORGOT PASSWORD and locks the account.

I would love to have ONE account for all.  I kinda thought that is what ICloud would do.  ?

At this time, I have purchases on Itunes on one, MtLion on another, Support on another etc etc.  Bummer.

• Reply 5 of 8

Originally Posted by TheMajor View Post

I would like to only have one account for all- Icloud, Apple, Itunes store and etc.

Possible?

I would love to have ONE account for all.

Yes: stop using all of your accounts (except your iCloud one) for everything. You can't merge. So pick one and make your purchases there going forward.

I myself have an old (2003) Apple ID for my iTunes account that I've always used, and then my iCloud account. I use iCloud for the cloud stuff and my old account for all purchases. Simpler that way.

As far as forgetting password- I have them written down in a binder.  Often, when I try to log in, it says password is bad.  After X-# tries, it forces, FORGOT PASSWORD and locks the account.

Have your computer automatically remember them!

• Reply 6 of 8
    Frustration with password issues. Why am I constantly having to change????why can I not have same apple password for my iPhone and iPad????? I spend more time executing renewed passwords than productive use of devices. Help
  • Reply 7 of 8

Originally Posted by jgermsch View Post

Why am I constantly having to change?

Maybe it's not good enough.

why can I not have same apple password for my iPhone and iPad?

Because you can.

• Reply 8 of 8
    The only way you have different passwords on your iPhone and iPad is if you are using two different apple IDs for some odd reason or you are talking about the passcode lock and someone set it up that way.