memory test locks up computer

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So if I'm running the TechTools Pro memory test, and that consistently locks up the computer, does that mean the RAM is bad or something else is wrong in the system. Normally, I would just expect TechTool to come back and say the memory test failed, but I've seen this one iMac lockup everytime at about 10% progress bar everytime. So I replaced the RAM with new stuff, but it still locks up (arrrgh!!!). Is it possible something else is messed up on the motherboard or chipset?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Try it under OS X and see what happens...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    I'd say it's possible that something else is up with the logic board. Generally speaking running RAM tests shouldn't lock it up, even if it's bad RAM. When you swapped the ram out, did you swap both chips out? Both the user-accesible RAM and the factory RAM on the other side of the card?

But yeah, if the memory management unit is flaky on the logic board, that could cause problems even if the RAM is fine. If you haven't swapped out that factory installed ram yet, do that... otherwise make sure there are no peripherals attached to the iMac and try booting with no extensions on next time you run the tests.

If it still locks up, I'd say you've got a logic board problem of some sort.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    japhyjaphy Posts: 13member
    Just wondering though, even if it is identified as a logic board problem .... what can you do? Do you have to send the computer back to Apple and pay if its out of warranty (assuming you wouldn't have to pay if its in warranty). Is there any other way?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Yes, I replaced both memory modules (both side of the card). It's a fairly dated iMac by today's standards (333). If it's in the logic board, that pretty much means death, wouldn't you say? Would it even be worth it to have the motherboard replaced (at CompUSA, perhaps), rather than upgrade to the latest and greatest iMacs?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    Unfortunately, Apple will not just send you another logic board, or any of the parts on it. You can only get a logic board if you're an Apple service center or self-servicing. Which means that if you're out of warranty and it is a logic board problem, you're in for the full amount, which is I think for that iMac in the $600-$800 range.

So I guess then it would be up to you whether you think it would be worth it to fix. You won't get a new iMac for $800, but you can get pretty close.