Airport problems

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I bought an AirPort BaseStation (white version) from the Apple store in Atlanta yesterday and I'm having some problems with it.

Basically, my range SUCKS!! I'm sitting in a room 20 feet away from the base station and it cuts in and out of range. I'm not moving or anything. In the same room, about 10 feet away, it's ok.

I'm using TiBook 667 (version before the combo drive, if that's important). No microwave, cell phone, cordless phones are being used. Is there anything I can do to improve my range?

ps - this problem also seems to affect my cell phone. I'm not moving and all of a sudden the signal is lost. Could that be related?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Do you live under power lines or transformers or something? Yeah, I could see the cell phone thing being related, since most mobile phones here in the US operate at 1900 MHz, which is somewhat close to 2.4 GHz.

Don't expect miraculous range either... In a closed environment, punching through a few walls, you'd probably get 50-60 feet of reliable range.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Thanks, Eugene. It turns out I needed change channels on my basestation. The reception has been much better since then. I actually got great reception when I put the airport card in my ibook2 and I thought that the problem was my tibook. But once I changed the channel it was ok. Not as good as the ibook, but very acceptable.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    bobbybobby Posts: 6member
    The metal around the TiBook cuts the range... I've wondered if they could turn the case into an antanna...