Apple flat screen displays for photoshop work???

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi everyone

I have a question about the Apple flat screen dispays and whether or not they are as good as standard screens for accurate colour display.

I do alot of photoshop work on scanned photographs, clour correcting and i have heard that the flat screens are more saturated and the more difficult to get accurate colour profiles.

Anyone have any experience with this ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    [quote]Originally posted by halfacow:

<strong>

Anyone have any experience with this ?</strong><hr></blockquote>

There was a great article comparting flat screens in MacWorld two issues ago.

I can't find it on their site but I don't know my way around it very well.

They gave the Formac Studio 1740 the highest rating and on that basis and on the basis of the recommendation of a friend who has one I specified it for a customer who uses it for some color retouching (plus general admin task). It is a beautiful monitor.

Try to track down the old MacWorld tho. I would guess it's the April issue...

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    barvowbarvow Posts: 64member
    I have a Formac Gallery 1740 that I bought a month ago. It is really great. I bought the recently introduced model that comes with ColorVision software and a Pantone Spyder calibration sensor. The Formac (and to a slighty lesser degree, the Apple Studio Display LCD's) are making it possible to do calibrated work on an LCD screen. The great majority of LCD's are not up to the challenge, because of poor color gamut, narrow viewing angle and other problems inherent to LCD makeup.

I am running the Formac and a 17" CRT on my 933Mhz G4. (Apple just sent me my nVidia GeForce 4 Ti card, and it's really nice) The Formac is every bit as capable as the CRT, and much sharper. The CRT is a good one, with calibration software and sensor of its own, but it's just not as crisp as the Formac.

I use them for Photoshop and Illustrator work, and photography work. I can't imagine not having the Formac now. I'm spoiled. So, yes, it is possible to use an LCD screen for careful Photoshop work, if you have the right LCD.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    corbusocorbuso Posts: 2member
    Flat screen are not the best screens for working with accurate color profiles, although the apple's one are the best. The flat screens gives a better color and contrasted images as on CRT. As drawback, the colors may change depending on the lightning of your office. For professional use, I recommend you CRT screens. I am very happy with the LaCie electron blue, wich may receive an extarnal color calbibrator ..

regards

pat

I have a question about the Apple flat screen dispays and whether or not they are as good as standard screens for accurate colour display.

I do alot of photoshop work on scanned photographs, clour correcting and i have heard that the flat screens are more saturated and the more difficult to get accurate colour profiles.

Anyone have any experience with this ?