Power Book and DVD/R

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
As the new PB is not equipped with a Superdrive, I am wondering if it is possible to connect an external DVD/R?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    [quote]Originally posted by hans:

<strong>As the new PB is not equipped with a Superdrive, I am wondering if it is possible to connect an external DVD/R?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is this a trick question?

Sure, why not?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    hanshans Posts: 7member
    Not a trick question, just a newbie trying to figure out if the powerbook is an alternative to the powermac.

OK, so it is possible to buy the new powerbook and use it for editing digital video and finally exporting the video to DVD by means of the external DVD drive.

Sounds great, would be nice if the powerbook was shipped with a superdrive though.

Thanks,

Hans
  • Reply 3 of 7
    spockiespockie Posts: 22member
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but software like iDVD2 doesn't work with external SuperDrives yet.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    What I would realy like to do is "complete the whole circle" ie. import my video, edit it, and then export it to DVD. If, as said, I DVD do not support external DVD drives that is a concern.

Does anyone have experience with this? Maybe with other software like DVD PRO or other.

I am going to purchase my first Mac this summer after MWNY, and this question is important in deciding between a powerbook or a powermac.

Enlighten me, please
  • Reply 5 of 7
    spockiespockie Posts: 22member
    I have the same concern buying an external SuperDrive.

At Macworld San Francisco I spoke with Pascal Cagni, Vice President of Apple Europe, and he said, that he understands the dilemma. Apple is considering to change its strategy on this. However I haven't heard anything in this direction afterwards.

I also spoke with Pierre Abboud, Vice President of QPS, after their release of a fine external DVD-RW drive. He promised that QPS is doing an external plug in, to make their drive compatible with Apple SuperDrive applications such as iDVD2. However, I haven't seen a driver or a plugin from QPS since.

AFAIK DVD Studio Pro does work with external DVD-R drives, only iDVD2 doesn't.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Thanks Spockie.

I will wait until after MWNY and see if the powerbook has a superdrive by that time. If not I will look into the possibility of using DVD SP, or iDVD2 with plugins.

Again thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    You can currently purchase fire DVD-R & DVD-RW drives in the UK market that work with iDVD2 and DVD Studio Pro 1.