Microsoft Office 365 Home Premium installs on up to 5 devices for $99.99 a year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member

The $99/year seems high to get updates in an application that seems to have fewer and fewer improvements each year.

I would have liked to see it rolled out in the App Store, but c'est la vie.

• Reply 22 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

I uses Pages for some things, but prefer MS Office on Windows and Mac depending on what I'm doing. If I'm playing with spreadsheets, Office 2010 for Windows is better, although Office 2011 Mac is neat and efficient in other ways.

Microsoft does make good software. Not perfect, but neither is Apple.

I agree.  I love Office, personally.  I got Office for OSX for free through my university, and it works great.  It's not really a bad price when you consider that you're getting 7 programs.  Actually cheaper than the Apple equivalents (~$14 per program vs ~$19 per for Apple). 

• Reply 23 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

That's not the point. Right now, nobody needs msoffice, because LibreOffice does that, even if it isn't perfect at converting Docx files (MSoffice isn't perfect at that too, lol). However, people should use Libreoffice because they like and because they want to use it, not because they must find a way to convert their documents to proprietary formats. That makes Libreoffice a shitty non-wanted product, not a first tier product.

<...>

I have trouble to follow your logic, except that for some personal reason you feel entitled not to pay MS for getting Office.

Although I hate MS, I have to say I cannot support you on this.

LibreOffice is indeed not very appealing in terms of User interface, just because if is inspired from Microsoft Office, in that respect. In addition to provide cross platform exchange (through Microsoft formats), it minimizes retraining needs for people (just like me) who have been forced to use Microsoft Office in their entire professional life (at least during the portion of it where Office existed). (this explains why I hate MS so much)

I am grateful to all developers who contributed to LibreOffice development, and I consider this product can be useful (at least it is for me). At least I prefer to take this legal path to avoid paying Microsoft an admittedly insane price.

• Reply 24 of 77
    And this pricing plan is supposed to benefit the end user how? Oh yeah - it's not.

The move to software rental by M$ is completely the opposite direction Apple has moved with making ownership affordable and easy. No wonder they are getting thumped.
  • Reply 25 of 77
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

So MS reinvented Google Docs except their brilliant addition to it is they are going to charge a hundred bucks a year?

• Reply 26 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

So MS reinvented Google Docs except their brilliant addition to it is they are going to charge a hundred bucks a year?

Google charges Google App $5 to $10 per user per month.  It is no longer free for new users.

• Reply 27 of 77

Now they completely lost their minds. $100 per year !!!!!

I used to upgrade every 4 years  (before I switched to Pages/Numbers). That equals to $400!!! image

• Reply 28 of 77

Quote:

People at university usually have Windows for free, and that's the only people that i know that update their shitty OS legally. All others go to piratebay.

Office? that's cute. We do not have office for free (looks like the msdna program is much cheaper that way) so everyone that i know who has a recent (2007+) MSoffice suite "bought it" on piratebay. Usually, I do not aprove that behaviour (i do not have pirated software on my mac at all), but it's a great way to "punish" stupid teachers/universities that demand something on proprietary format. It's "their" fault, they are the ones responsible for the culture of piracy that was created.

It's time for them to realize that they can't demand us to use MS sh*t anymore... they just can't.

Thank god that people only ask for pdfs these days, and when we need to work on autocad or visual studio whe get the choice to get everything we need for free.

Give us choice, and we will choose well. But demanding us to pay something (a lot) because the stupid person in question wants docx file? There's no way.

Please attach a printout of this post to your resume.  It will save potential employers a LOT of time,  Thanks :)

• Reply 29 of 77
    Can someone clarify this for me?

"Office 2011" is the latest version for Mac, and "Office 2013" is the latest version for Windows.

But "Office 365" is not actually a product per-se, but actually a 5-license subscription for both products with a couple of extra features thrown in.
  • Reply 30 of 77
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,730member

It actually stops working on February 29th.

I'm sure the hackers will soon change that to February 30th :D
  • Reply 31 of 77
    Once you get past kiddie school into the professional ranks you may be shocked to discover many are now using MultiMarkDown and LaTeX and ignoring Microsoft altogether for processing text.

Entire books are now being written on an iPad using MarkDown, very impressive!

Some younger students are now switching to MarkDown as it works perfectly on the iPhone and iPad and not to mention the fragmented array of Android products. An hour or so of learning MarkDown can be liberate you from Microsoft and Microsoft Word for the rest of your life!
  • Reply 32 of 77
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

People at university usually have Windows for free, and that's the only people that i know that update their shitty OS legally. All others go to piratebay.

Office? that's cute. We do not have office for free (looks like the msdna program is much cheaper that way) so everyone that i know who has a recent (2007+) MSoffice suite "bought it" on piratebay. Usually, I do not aprove that behaviour (i do not have pirated software on my mac at all), but it's a great way to "punish" stupid teachers/universities that demand something on proprietary format. It's "their" fault, they are the ones responsible for the culture of piracy that was created.

It's time for them to realize that they can't demand us to use MS sh*t anymore... they just can't.

Thank god that people only ask for pdfs these days, and when we need to work on autocad or visual studio whe get the choice to get everything we need for free.

Give us choice, and we will choose well. But demanding us to pay something (a lot) because the stupid person in question wants docx file? There's no way.

Open Office will save to that format, but I agree with the stupidity of forcing a proprietary commercial format unless it's absolutely necessary. PDFs would seem more logical.

• Reply 33 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Office 2011 allows me to run a Mac-only household.  I need Word 100% compatibility for work, and Excel really has no equal (including all of the open source alternatives).

Don't assume that Office doesn't have value for anyone, just because you don't like it or prefer not to use it.

Office isn't for you, then.

• Reply 34 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

I have trouble to follow your logic, except that for some personal reason you feel entitled not to pay MS for getting Office.

Although I hate MS, I have to say I cannot support you on this.

LibreOffice is indeed not very appealing in terms of User interface, just because if is inspired from Microsoft Office, in that respect. In addition to provide cross platform exchange (through Microsoft formats), it minimizes retraining needs for people (just like me) who have been forced to use Microsoft Office in their entire professional life (at least during the portion of it where Office existed). (this explains why I hate MS so much)

I am grateful to all developers who contributed to LibreOffice development, and I consider this product can be useful (at least it is for me). At least I prefer to take this legal path to avoid paying Microsoft an admittedly insane price.

My logic is simple. I pay year after year just to be on a public university. I should have the right to use "all" the programs that are necessary until i have my masters.

We learn Visual Studio, so we have a copy of windows (so we are free to buy a pc or a mac) and a copy of visual studio. We need autocad? We have a one year license for it. That's how it is and how it should be, allways. That's the deal.

Some teacher (while having a class) thinks that we should do a few calculations and Excel is the right tool? Fine, we have office installed at our university computers.

But imagine this... Some teacher sends us heavely formatted pptx/docx that break when they are open with open or libreoffice, and demands we do some homework on docx or ppt for presentation. What is the right thing to do? Is it right that hundreds of people (some can barely afford education and we already payed 1000 euros to study there) go and buy MSoffice copies just because that teacher doesn't know what a pdf or open source is? No one will buy it, no one and no one should. It's an stupid idea made by stupid people.

• Reply 35 of 77
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

People at university usually have Windows for free, and that's the only people that i know that update their shitty OS legally. 

Not free. Microsoft blackmailed many universities to pay a per user license fee or face contributory infringement lawsuits. So the student through a technology fee is covering the Windows license. For instance, the University of Michigan will give you a hard copy of Office for like $10, which the University figures is the cost to give you a copy of the software. 

• Reply 36 of 77
    umrk_lab wrote: »
    "five devices" ? Where did they get that idea from ?

Probably someone like Steve Ballmer... "We can port Windows to FIVE devices!"
  • Reply 37 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Today's launch of Office 365 Home Premium marks the next big step in Microsoft's transformation to a devices and services business," said Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer. "This is so much more than just another release of Office. This is Office reinvented as a consumer cloud service with all the full-featured Office applications people know and love, together with impressive new cloud and social benefits."

Hmmm... must be some hardware plans in there somewhere...  other than Surface, XBox...

• Reply 38 of 77
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member

I don't understand the comments against Office.

Office is THE global standard.  Office will be around after Apple is gone.  That is a fact!

I am an AAPL fan and stockholder to this day!  But, as somebody "with a job," MS Office is part of how the adult world collaborates and communicates.

No, LibreOffice is not even close to compatible enough to be worth its free price.  

This MS pricing scheme is stupid, though.  Just buy the software.  It is worth $300 or whatever it costs.  Office has helped a million businesses and government offices run better.  Yes, it takes skills to use.  So does Photoshop.  That doesn't mean you throw away the primary tool of so many professions.

• Reply 39 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwik View Post

<....>

Office is THE global standard.  Office will be around after Apple is gone.  That is a fact!

<...>

Office is indestructible ! Office will stay there until the end of times !

• Reply 40 of 77

Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Office will be around after Apple is gone.  That is a fact!

lol.

But, as somebody "with a job," MS Office is part of how the adult world collaborates and communicates.

9.1/10.

It's terrible software; that's where the complaints come from.