Microsoft Office 365 Home Premium installs on up to 5 devices for $99.99 a year

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    /shrug

I paid $10 for office 2010
    I paid $15 for windows 8
    I paid $30 for windows 7
    I don't remember what I paid for office 2003, but I'm pretty sure it was way below msrp.

There is a ridiculous amount of discounts Microsoft products. I don't even bother looking at the retail price for their software anymore as it is meaningless.
  • Reply 42 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

/shrug

I paid $10 for office 2010

I paid $15 for windows 8

I paid $30 for windows 7

I don't remember what I paid for office 2003, but I'm pretty sure it was way below msrp.

There is a ridiculous amount of discounts Microsoft products. I don't even bother looking at the retail price for their software anymore as it is meaningless.

Since most of their products have lower quality than similar offerings (the OS, office for "light" users, etc) and some people try to force others to use them, they should be free, right?

Or, since using windows is a pain compared to OSX, they should pay me to use it, right?

• Reply 43 of 77

This article and many people here are forgetting that MS is still offering Office without a subscription plan:

Office 365 = $99/yr

Office Home & Student = $139

Office Home & Business = $239

Office Professional = $399

You can still pay a 1-time fee to "own" your software if you so choose, but you only get a license to use it on 1 machine. Office 365's subscription gives you a license for 5 machines, 20GB of cloud storage in SkyDrive, and updates to the latest version of the software suite whenever they are released.

Neither is a bad deal if you think about it. And contrary to the lack of information in the article and in the comments, MS isn't forcing anyone to pay a subscription to use Office.... yet. But that's just future speculation at best.

It's also best to keep a level head and perhaps have multiple news sources for information.

• Reply 44 of 77
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Office 2011 allows me to run a Mac-only household.  I need Word 100% compatibility for work, and Excel really has no equal (including all of the open source alternatives).

Don't assume that Office doesn't have value for anyone, just because you don't like it or prefer not to use it.

Office isn't for you, then.

I work regularly on corporate documents (RFPs, Statements of Work, capital project requests, etc.) with very specific formatting requirements and I have yet to have a single problem with a document created in Word 2011 or created in 2010 and later edited in 2011.  In comparison, the open source offerings are a complete mess.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what your priorities are.  I get that people want to champion open source alternatives or hate on Microsoft or whatever, but I have work that needs to get done and Office 2011 gets me there without having to have a Windows PC at home or drag a Windows laptop back and forth.  Office 2011 to me is a complete win in that regard.

• Reply 45 of 77
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    This article and many people here are forgetting that MS is still offering Office without a subscription plan:

Office 365 = $99/yr

You can still pay a 1-time fee to "own" your software if you so choose, but you only get a license to use it on 1 machine. Office 365's subscription gives you a license for 5 machines, 20GB of cloud storage in SkyDrive, and updates to the latest version of the software suite whenever they are released.

Neither is a bad deal if you think about it. And contrary to the lack of information in the article and in the comments, MS isn't forcing anyone to pay a subscription to use Office.... yet. But that's just future speculation at best.

It's also best to keep a level head and perhaps have multiple news sources for information.

What is 'best' for the vast majority of Mac users is either one of the excellent products such as Neo Office or using iWorks. As an aside, when Steve Jobs hired Microsoft to Develop Office back in 1984-85 I bet he never envisaged Microsoft still attaching the milking machine to his concept all these years later.
  • Reply 46 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I work regularly on corporate documents (RFPs, Statements of Work, capital project requests, etc.) with very specific formatting requirements and I have yet to have a single problem with a document created in Word 2011 or created in 2010 and later edited in 2011.  In comparison, the open source offerings are a complete mess.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what your priorities are.  I get that people want to champion open source alternatives or hate on Microsoft or whatever, but I have work that needs to get done and Office 2011 gets me there without having to have a Windows PC at home or drag a Windows laptop back and forth.  Office 2011 to me is a complete win in that regard.

Complex word documents are not always 100% formatted exactly the same when edited under office 2011 (mac) and office 2003 (windows) and office 2010 (windows) Fonts and other issues often cause formatting differences.

• Reply 47 of 77
    Remember back when AOL was a big deal? I have a memory of Bill Gates saying he thought that was a great business model and Steve Case was on to something - charging people every month for the use of your product instead of a one time fee.

Gotta say, it creeped me out then and it creeps me out now.
  • Reply 48 of 77
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    60 minutes of free global Skype time a month? I've never used Skype, I always assumed it was a free service.
  • Reply 49 of 77
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

60 minutes of free global Skype time a month? I've never used Skype, I always assumed it was a free service.

Skype-to-Skype is free, Skype-to-landline is not.

• Reply 50 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Now they completely lost their minds. $100 per year !!!!!

I used to upgrade every 4 years  (before I switched to Pages/Numbers). That equals to $400!!! image

It may not be as good a deal for one single person, but for a family with 3 laptops and 2 desktops, it can definitely save a LOT of money.  Remember that you are getting the same software as MS Office Professional, which runs $400 for ONE PC.  To install the same on all of my systems would cost me $2000!!!  If you upgrade every 4 years, then the price is a wash for your one PC, but it only costs $80 total for each of the five.  So I spend $400 for 4 years instead of $2000.  Which option do you think I might like?  And you can mix and match PCs, Macs, and tablets.  I have no love for MS, but this really isn't a bad deal in certain situations.

• Reply 51 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by goofy1958 View Post

....And you can mix and match PCs, Macs, and tablets. ....

Which tablets ?

• Reply 52 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It actually stops working on February 29th.

If it is running on their Azure cloud platform it might well do :) http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/03/azure-leap-year-bug/

• Reply 53 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

Office 365 = $99/yr

What is 'best' for the vast majority of Mac users is either one of the excellent products such as Neo Office or using iWorks. As an aside, when Steve Jobs hired Microsoft to Develop Office back in 1984-85 I bet he never envisaged Microsoft still attaching the milking machine to his concept all these years later.

I wasn't commenting on what was 'best' for Mac or PC users regarding software preference. I was commenting on the erroneous statements being assumed by some that MS is forcing subscription pricing on consumers using Office, which is utterly not the case. And I was providing advice on sourcing multiple news/blog outlets before jumping to inaccurate conclusions. That was all.

I wasn't endorsing or disapproving of Office for any use case.

• Reply 54 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

Free free free.....    A fair amount of labor and skill goes into building software and those that create it should be compensated for their efforts. Try working for "free" and see how well that works out for you. If you want to complain about something notice how M$ and Adobe are moving to a subscription based business now. The days of buying an app once and using it until you decided to invest more money into it for an upgrade may soon be over. That to me is an alarming change in the tech business and no doubt it was a response to all of you that "buy" at pirate bay.

Sad to say, but ethics is sorely lacking in our "civilization." Nice to see one of those occasional reminders it isn't completely absent. 

As for the move to a subscription based service, it does mean you essentially pay forever, but you really had to do that before. There seems to be a requirement for endless upgrades of system software, applications, & utilities just so you can function. If you don't it's only a matter of few months before issues start to creep in. And if you do upgrade your software, then you coerced into upgrading your hardware every 5-6 years. Making matters worse, even if you do buy the software, the liars... errr... attorneys have it set up such that it is only a license to use their software. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Yet, this subscription offering from MS really isn't a bad deal, especially if you have 5 machines to use the suite on. $20/year is damned cheap!

• Reply 55 of 77
    No thanks.  I'll wait for the next native version of Office:Mac.  2011 works great for me.  

You assume there will be one. This could be the next version. No discs.no buy once use for ages.
  • Reply 56 of 77
    So this means Access is finally on the Mac?
  • Reply 57 of 77
    sasparilla wrote: »
    Another Hail Marry from Balmer....he'll try a yearly version of Windows as well - to get customers to just pay them constantly (instead of for large product updates) is his dream.  

$100 a year just to use Office....right Balmer, keep on trying.

If the price and upgrade schedule was right, why would that be a major issue. $20 a year, all updates and upgrades for free sounds pretty good, maybe $30 if you want the Pro version with server etc level features.

At least give folks the option. See what happens.
  • Reply 58 of 77
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    freshmaker wrote: »
    I agree.  I love Office, personally.  I got Office for OSX for free through my university,

If you're a student, no you didn't. It's in those fees etc you pay. Along with the free gym, free health clinic, the free recent movies they show in the student union etc.
  • Reply 59 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

If the price and upgrade schedule was right, why would that be a major issue. $20 a year, all updates and upgrades for free sounds pretty good, maybe $30 if you want <....>

OUT-OF-QUESTION TO ENRICH MICROSOFT !!!!!! (especially given the fact that I have plenty of cheaper alternatives, but this is a matter of principle)

THIS IS MY REVENGE FOR HAVING BEEN FORCED, IN MY ENTIRE CAREER, TO USE PCs & Microsoft cumbersome, unreliable and anti intuitive software !

• Reply 60 of 77
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Now they completely lost their minds. $100 per year !!!!!
    I used to upgrade every 4 years  (before I switched to Pages/Numbers). That equals to $400!!! :no:

Funny you mention iWork. Many folks think it is overdue for a completely new version. Forgetting that that might mean having to pay again. That's $60 whole dollars. The horror.

Whereas another point update would be free.