BlackBerry announces new company name, new Z10 & Q10 devices running BB10

Comments

• Reply 21 of 111
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,815member
    Is anyone collecting all the "eat crow" references already? I'll start with the first one:

One of RIM's 17 CEOs upon the introduction of the iPhone: "Users need a physical keyboard. A virtual keyboard sucks ass. This iPhone? What a f-ing joke. It'll last 3 weeks. The BlackBerry is king and will whip its ass."

Today: "eschews a physical keyboard."

One serving of crow delivered.

Right up there with Michael Dell eh?
  • Reply 22 of 111

I'm a little depressed after seeing the new BB phones.

I was hoping they'd knock it out of the park and really up their game by having a serious competitor. But after seeing early reviews and hands-on it doesn't look like they have anything other than a "competent" phone that's sort of middle-of-the-road.

• Reply 23 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I see the letters q, w, e, r, t, and y in succession. Pretty dang sure that's what it is. No one knows what a Remington keyboard is.

Bien sûr... and for French users it will be configured as an "AZERTY" keyboard.

• Reply 24 of 111
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Sigh.  :no:

Are you people ever going to stop doing this?      It's NOT a "Qwerty" keyboard!

This isn't rocket science or brain surgery, it's simple English.  

Use the right term for cripes sake.  
    If you "Donno" what that is, maybe you can "Axe" your "MOMA." 

Neither my mother nor I know what else to call it and that's what I've heard my entire life.

• Reply 25 of 111
    0m32s: "It has an eye-popping 352 MegaPixel display."

Which means, it has 6833.55 PPI, is that a Peta-Retina Display?
  • Reply 26 of 111
    Different form factors, slick features, secure communication, business customers will eat this up. Predicting a big gain of market share assuming they don't overprice their services.
  • Reply 27 of 111
    Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic...
  • Reply 28 of 111

Originally Posted by mrmantle View Post

…business customers will eat this up.

They're already eating up iPhones.

• Reply 29 of 111
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Watched the video and drifted off.  Hm.

• Reply 30 of 111

Looks like 4 years ago. 

Not sure which is more anticlimactic. This, or the Surface that's supposed to be the "real" one.

• Reply 31 of 111
    Is anyone collecting all the "eat crow" references already? I'll start with the first one:

One of RIM's 17 CEOs upon the introduction of the iPhone: "Users need a physical keyboard. A virtual keyboard sucks ass. This iPhone? What a f-ing joke. It'll last 3 weeks. The BlackBerry is king and will whip its ass."

Today: "eschews a physical keyboard."

One serving of crow delivered.

Old news. Get over it. Step over, not on someone trying to climb out of a grave.
  • Reply 32 of 111
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

It sure took them a long time to come up with their own copy based on the revolutionary iPhone. The iPhone was released in 2007 and here we are in 2013, and they are presenting their touch screen based phone.

They probably changed their name because they were tired of all of the RIM Job jokes. And the stock ticker was changed in the hope that shorters might forget the new name and continue to enter the old name when they place their orders.

I've never owned a Blackberry device in the past, so this release means nothing to me. In the past, many moons ago, when Blackberry devices were more popular, I usually saw two groups of people using them, one was people with suits, and the second group was people who looked like drug dealers and liked hip hop. I don't wear suits, I'm not a drug dealer, and I don't like hip hop too much, so I never used a Blackberry. I haven't bothered to watch the video of the event, but I read that they had some rapper there? And what's with Alicia Keys? Just who is their target audience?

• Reply 33 of 111
    Kin
    I'm a little depressed after seeing the new BB phones.

I was hoping they'd knock it out of the park and really up their game by having a serious competitor. But after seeing early reviews and hands-on it doesn't look like they have anything other than a "competent" phone that's sort of middle-of-the-road.

Kind of ahree
  • Reply 34 of 111
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/155720/blackberry-announces-new-company-name-new-z10-q10-devices-running-bb10/30#post_2268148"]It sure took them a long time to come up with their own copy based on the revolutionary iPhone. The iPhone was released in 2007 and here we are in 2013, and they are presenting their touch screen based phone.

They probably changed their name because they were tired of all of the RIM Job jokes. And the stock ticker was changed in the hope that shorters might forget the new name and continue to enter the old name when they place their orders.

I've never owned a Blackberry device in the past, so this release nothing to me. In the past, many moons ago, when Blackberry devices were more popular, I usually saw two groups of people using them, one was people with suits, and the second group was people who looked like drug dealers and liked hip hop. I don't wear suits, I'm not a drug dealer, and I don't like hip hop too much, so I never used a Blackberry. I haven't bothered to watch the video of the event, but I read that they had some rapper there? And what's with Alicia Keys? Just who is their target audience?

Hmmm ... Stereotype much?
  • Reply 35 of 111
    Greatest iPhone rip off of all time RIM must have hired some Samsung Engineers
  • Reply 36 of 111
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Hmmm ... Stereotype much?

Fair or not, we all stereotype, and I am definitely guilty of stereotyping.image

• Reply 37 of 111
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,906member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The changing of the name was also a brilliant move. Eschew the tainted brand and adopt the one that still has some value, even fit's mostly nostalgic at this point. And anecdotally I've used the terms 'rim' and Research in Motion with people who had no idea what I was talking about until I said BlackBerry.

Yes.

I mean, who wants to be a rimmer anyway? Applogies to Red Dwarf.

• Reply 38 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

It looks great. Let's just hope they do not enter the spec game (let that to stupid fandroids that understand 0 about tech and engineering) and create an unique ecosystem.

I would love a blackberry for under 300 euros, I can't justify more than that.

Doesn't seem like a reasonnable price point. Let me check:

- Apple, nope doesn't do <300.

- NokiaSoft, nope, no smartphone (especially with enterprise quality) <300

- Android, nope no high quality smartphone <300

'f course, if you want iPhone quality with RIM-like Enterprise integration for 300 euros, you're probably not going to get it ever.

• Reply 39 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Fair or not, we all stereotype, and I am definitely guilty of stereotyping.image

With a virtual keyboard, you can stereotype faster.

• Reply 40 of 111
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dcolley wrote: »
    Greatest iPhone rip off of all time RIM must have hired some Samsung Engineers

What?