always have to force quit mail.app

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I use entourage and my wife uses mail. Whenever I want to log out of her os X account and log into mine I have to force quit mail.app. It wont quit from the finder - it requires a force-quit. If I restart the computer, mail works fine for a while and will quit, etc... But after a few hours of use it will need to be force-quit again. Any suggestion????? I'm using 10.1.5 on a G4 733. (yes I've tried trashing the prefs)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    What kind of internet connection are you using?

Because upon quitting, Mail tends to do a few tasks on its way out.

If you have a slow internet connection, it may seem as though Mail has stoped working.

Next time this happens, open the "Activity Viewer" under the "Window" menu. Check to see if there are any things that Mail is doing. If so, just wait for them to finish, quitting should go as planned after that.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    skaterayskateray Posts: 6member
    I tend to have the same problem, too. I have a cable connection and nothing seems to be happenning in the activity viewer. If I remember correctly, all the windows close. Another oddity with mail.app is that as soon as i log in and click on mail, it takes a few minutes to open. After i have been logged in for a while, mail.app opens nomally.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    vice108vice108 Posts: 26member
    I have a road runner cable connection - and a particularly fast one at that. There's no activity going on it simply wont quit. And yes "Skatery", the windows do close, but the program wont quit. Once I close the window - i can't get it back until I force quit. The option for opening a new mail window gets grayed out until I force quit. Any ideas?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    skaterayskateray Posts: 6member
    [quote]Originally posted by vice108:

<strong>I have a road runner cable connection - and a particularly fast one at that. There's no activity going on it simply wont quit. And yes "Skatery", the windows do close, but the program wont quit. Once I close the window - i can't get it back until I force quit. The option for opening a new mail window gets grayed out until I force quit. Any ideas?</strong><hr></blockquote>

sorry my post didnt voice what i wanted it to say....my point was that i have the same problem....the windows close but the app dosent. sorry about the confusion
  • Reply 5 of 6
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    I was having the exact problem with Entourage. I have a fast intenet connect too. All I did to rectify the problem was reinstall it, and am yet to have the problem...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    vice108vice108 Posts: 26member
    Is there anyone out there who is a bigger Mac-geek then me or skatray who can help us out with this problem? Thanks in advance